• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
image.png
DISCOVER THE DEEP
POWDER OF JAPAN

Niseko United has been added to the Ikon Pass to give you access to Japan's premier mountain. The latest addition is your gateway to skiing and riding across three continents, adding yet another iconic destination to your bucket list. Japow!

DENVER, CO, August 30, 2018 - Ikon Pass holders will now have access to more than 72,000 skiable acres over three continents with the addition of Niseko United, located on Japan’s northernmost island of Hokkaido. Japan is home to some of the planet’s most plentiful and light snow, making Niseko United a bucket list destination for any skier and rider on the hunt for fresh powder.

Niseko United is regarded as Japan’s premier mountain destination and is comprised of four ski resorts located on one mountain – Grand Hirafu, Hanazono, Niseko Village and Annupuri. Famous for the consistency and quality of its snow, Niseko United receives 50+ feet of snowfall every winter with just 7% of water content from crystallized moisture picked up from the Sea of Japan. Multi-million-dollar investments in accommodation and infrastructure make Niseko United an excellent destination for families and powder hounds.

“We are delighted to give Ikon Pass holders the opportunity to spread their wings and immerse themselves in the deep powder of Japan’s premier destination, Niseko United,” said Colin Hackworth, President of Hanazono, Niseko Japan. “The Ikon Pass is expanding and the cultural beauty, huge winter snowfall and culinary delights of Japan await. We are truly pleased to partner with the world’s most iconic mountain destinations and to be a part of the Ikon Pass community.”

“Niseko United is an ideal partner for the Ikon Pass, offering some of the best ski and snowboard terrain on the planet, blanketed in its renowned deep, plentiful snow,” said Erik Forsell, Chief Marketing Officer of Alterra Mountain Company. “Japan’s mountains are a longtime bucket list destination for skiers and riders, and we are so excited to open up this part of the world to Ikon Pass holders, providing the opportunity to immerse themselves into the Japanese culture and snow.”

Access

Niseko United will offer 7 days total across its four resorts on the Ikon Pass, and 5 days total on the Ikon Base Pass with 10 blackout dates (Dec. 26-31, 2018; Jan. 19-20, 2019; Feb. 16-17, 2019).

From a week-long vacation to unlimited days, the Ikon Pass was built with the guest in mind, to provide the best experience possible. With 35 destinations, in 12 states, four Canadian provinces, on three continents, the Ikon Pass is the gateway to a like-minded community, enduring memories, and the most iconic destinations on the planet.

The Ikon Pass launched in January 2018 and is a collaboration of industry leaders – Alterra Mountain Company, Aspen Skiing Company, Boyne Resorts, POWDR, Jackson Hole Mountain Resort, Alta Ski Area, Snowbird, SkiBig3, Revelstoke Mountain Resort, Sugarbush Resort, Taos Ski Valley, Thredbo and Niseko United. Each demonstrates integrity, character and independence that is reflected in their mountains and guests.

For more information, please visit www.ikonpass.com.

About Ikon Pass
The Ikon Pass is the new standard in season passes, connecting the most iconic mountains across North America, Australia and Japan, delivering authentic, memorable snow adventures. Brought to you by Alterra Mountain Company, the Ikon Pass unlocks access to a community of diverse destinations you want to ski and ride, including Aspen Snowmass, Steamboat, Winter Park Resort, Copper Mountain and Eldora in Colorado; Squaw Valley Alpine Meadows, Mammoth Mountain, June Mountain and Big Bear Mountain Resort in California; Jackson Hole Mountain Resort in Wyoming; Big Sky in Montana; Stratton, Killington and Sugarbush Resort in Vermont; Snowshoe in West Virginia; Boyne Highlands and Boyne Mountain in Michigan; The Summit at Snoqualmie in Washington; Tremblant in Quebec and Blue Mountain in Ontario, Canada; SkiBig3 in Alberta, Canada; Revelstoke Mountain Resort and Cypress Mountain in British Columbia, Canada; Sunday River and Sugarloaf in Maine; Loon Mountain in New Hampshire; Deer Valley Resort, Solitude Mountain Resort, Brighton Resort, Alta, and Snowbird in Utah; Thredbo in Australia; and Niseko United in Japan. Special offers are available at CMH Heli-Skiing & Summer Adventures, the world’s largest heli-skiing operation. For more information on the Ikon Pass, visit www.ikonpass.com.

About Niseko United
Niseko United is the joint name for the four independently-owned ski resorts occupying different quarters of Mt Annupuri - Niseko Mt. Resort Grand HIRAFU, Niseko Hanazono Resort, Niseko Village and Niseko Annupuri Ski Area. At 42 degrees north of the equator on Japan’s northernmost island Hokkaido, Niseko is famous for the consistency and quality of its powder snow, which has been recorded as having just 7% moisture content. All resorts have slopes and terrain to suit complete beginners to professionals, and you can ski, board or bus between all with ease. Niseko is located in the southwest of Japan’s northernmost island, Hokkaido – 60 miles south of the island’s capital Sapporo, and New Chitose International Airport (CTS). Please visit http://www.niseko.ne.jp/en/ for more details.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I didn't see that one coming. Very popular destination for Australian and New Zealand skiers. Feeling (even) happier about my Ikon pass purchase now.
My money was on Snowbasin. ;)

SecretAgentMan

Putting on skis
Pass Pulled
You can ski at top-notch ski resorts in America, Australia, and Japan for a mere $999. Only $819 for teens ages 13-17. Doesn’t Liftopia sell $30 lift tickets to Stratton?

The Ikon Pass offers little to no value to the "average Joe" skier who skis 10-20 times per year mostly at ski areas within 3 hours by car of his house. 97% of skiers are average Joes.

The Ikon Pass might give you bang for the buck if you want to ski during the course of a year Jackson Hole, Thredbo, Aspen, etc. Do your research.

For me the Ikon Pass = 8-pack chairlifts. Me.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Be the 3% or run with the herd - your choice.

RunningWithTheHerd-1200x385.png

Reactions: RJS

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
You can ski at top-notch ski resorts in America, Australia, and Japan for a mere $999. Only $819 for teens ages 13-17. Doesn’t Liftopia sell $30 lift tickets to Stratton?

The Ikon Pass offers little to no value to the "average Joe" skier who skis 10-20 times per year mostly at ski areas within 3 hours by car of his house. 97% of skiers are average Joes.

The Ikon Pass might give you bang for the buck if you want to ski during the course of a year Jackson Hole, Thredbo, Aspen, etc. Do your research.

For me the Ikon Pass = 8-pack chairlifts. Me.

1. I ski 10-20 times a year and there's no way I'm an Average Joe skier. Some of us dedicated skiers have other things in life that prevent us from skiing more.
2. I bought the base pass which will cover my trip to Jackson Hole and Big Sky. All my skiing here in the east will be effectively free. It also gives me 25% off my son's lift tickets for 8 days.
3. I did my research and I'm going to save a lot of money on lifts this year using the Ikon Base pass

SecretAgentMan

Putting on skis
Pass Pulled
1. I ski 10-20 times a year and there's no way I'm an Average Joe skier. Some of us dedicated skiers have other things in life that prevent us from skiing more.
2. I bought the base pass which will cover my trip to Jackson Hole and Big Sky. All my skiing here in the east will be effectively free. It also gives me 25% off my son's lift tickets for 8 days.
3. I did my research and I'm going to save a lot of money on lifts this year using the Ikon Base pass

Shot 8. I have never skied east of Porcupine Mountains UP. I would ski exclusively at Smuggs, Mad River Glen, and Sunday River if I lived in the East. No Ikon Pass.

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
/\/\ Okay. You're not impressed with the pass and it doesn't make sense to you. That's okay; no one said it needed to. It DOES make a lot of financial sense for a lot of people. I'm sure as you put it they made sure to 'do the research' before making the purchase. I know I did.

Anyway, time to move on to more constructive things.

Ski&ride

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
Where does the 97% number coms from? Of the “average joe” I know, half of them skis less than 10 days a year. Of those, half of them ski out west, while the other half drive 4-5 hours to ski!

And I don’t even live in Texas

Goran M.

Getting off the lift
Inactive
IKON Bandwagon I am smelling ...

The other site was EPIC bandwagon until it was not ...

I understand it and respect the effort and the opportunity to provide ski enthusiasts with appropriate place to gather and "exchange" thoughts, visions and opinions ...

I agree - "if it works for you - it is good enough" !

And if it does not work for you - it is not good enough !

SecretAgentMan

Putting on skis
Pass Pulled
Where does the 97% number coms from? Of the “average joe” I know, half of them skis less than 10 days a year. Of those, half of them ski out west, while the other half drive 4-5 hours to ski!

And I don’t even live in Texas

My sources are classified. This might help you.

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
FWIW, a five-day Niseko United pass costs JPY 32,200 ($290) and a seven-day pass JPY 44,600 ($402), so if you're heading to Niseko from N.America, knock that off the price and I'd say an Ikon gets pretty cheap.

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
We are planning a Japan trip this winter to visit our son there. I now know which resort we we'll visit. Niseko!

Works for me (I need a Squaw pass) and works for them - we will drop a fair amount of money there even with "free" lift tickets.

I'm stoked!

Eric

@Jim McDonald When we start planning, I might ask you for some advice on the trip.

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
Sure thing, Eric. Happy to help, and don't forget there are also some Pugski folks who actually spend the season up there and would have broader and newer local beta than myself.
Immediate advice is plan your trip for mid-Jan to mid-Feb if at all possible.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My sources are classified. This might help you.

Caution that the linked site in this post may be a red flag for companies based on the name even if the actual post or site isn't an issue. I looked at nothing more than the link last night so I can't say for sure but thought of it this morning so thought I'd post a caution.

Sponsor