• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

The Kingdom

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Erik, are those the trails you call home? Super cool!

TS
Erik Timmerman

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
Yeah, those trails are about an hour away from me. We have much the same (actually better riding IMHO), but Burke is really something special in terms of being a cycling monoculture.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
Erik, are those the trails you call home? Super cool!

being I live 20 minutes from erik.....

No. We have a ton of stuff closer to us, but its more sporadic and more local and to piece together a ride the size you can do at kingdom you have to have some legit local knowledge. I actually prefer my local stuff over KTA but its because I have an addiction to loamy loose trails and my local spot is the only place in the state that has that in spades.

We both have rode Kingdom quite a bit though and its much less tech and very flowly than just about everywhere else in vermont. They are honestly great trail and very accessible to outsiders as well as locals. Some people hate on them for not being "technical" enough but to those people I say who da F cares, there is nt a single track at KTA I do not have fun riding, they are easy but designed in way better rider will find cool transfer line and out right speed. KTA due to its sandy soil tend to wear better in the wet and for that reason is typically the only legit trails in vermont open during rain and wet. Heck I would say a ton of KTA rides better in the wet.

KTA is one of the largest trail centers in the country there is between Darling Hill, Moose haven about 90 mile of single track, add in Burke Mountain area which is not all technically the pay to ride area of Kingdom Trails. Burke Mountain has another 20+ mile of trails as well.

to give you and idea of how big KTA is one of my craziest buddy rode every trail on Darling Hill in one day.

https://www.strava.com/activities/2532962548

this is a great video of Cady Hill and Cady Falls. Cady Falls is my local fav. The segment called Sept starts out at Cady Falls, these are OUR local trail systems.

https://www.pinkbike.com/video/339141/

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
agreed!

Superbman

Getting off the lift
Skier
I've gone through a cycle with Kingdom:

well Over a decade ago, I was enamored with the place and drove up often.

Then, I guess I became one of those folks who says yeah, it's good--but you drive past an awful lot of great singlettack to get there (and I was probably guilty of preferring the more technical riding for a while and turning up my nose at the KT flavor of trails).

But, recently, I've been bringing a bunch of newer riders and folks who've never been there up to KTA, and I'm enjoying riding there more than ever. I've made 5 trips this season and I'm heading up at the end of this month one more time.

1. They've done so much work on the trails--not just creating newer trails, but going over old classics and really breathing life into them-every trail is just..well, pleasant to ride.

2. I can't think of any other place where you can bring a truly mixed crew of riders for a weekend, find great places to stay eat and drink (!) and everyone from fit expert to noodling significant other can find so much to ride.

3. I get a kick out of actually being somewhere where everything is dedicated to mountain biking and biking culture, from trailside bar/ coffee pitstop to the whole vibe.

4. It's an absolutely beautiful area

5. I'm quite saddened by the fate of Victory Hill as that added quite a different flavor of ride options to the greater regional riding.

TS
Erik Timmerman

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
I'd like to think that it isn't over for Victory yet, but we will see. I think that as time goes by, maybe Moose Haven can be like Victory was.