• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

The internet is down!!!

Read Blinn

lakespapa
Inactive
I have not seen any confirmation as to who was responsible but possibly the same group who attacked a security researcher's website (Brian Krebs) with a similar attack recently. Big state actors don't typically use DDoS attacks which are loud and obvious. They are usually more focused and stealthier.

True — but we're talking Putin, who, although his background is KGB, chafes at quietism at the global level.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
That's a normal number of devices in households these days.

If by 100MPS you mean 100Mbps that is plenty of speed to handle the typical house. It's usually in the higher tier of home internet offering. Remember also that number is the max speed they are offering, it goes down as you get further away from the modem. Wifi router? Slower, going through a range extender? Slower, not sitting close to the access point? Slower, older devices on your network forcing the wifi router to pick older wireless protocols for ALL devices? You get the idea....

Ya, tech went through everything to see if any were still 80211B. We're all G, but nothing has 5G. I've hard wired what I can running a long cat 6 cable under the house past the kitchen. Appliances there interfere with the wifi signals. That helped a lot. We'll go from 100 meg per sec to 1000 megs per second when fiber arrives. I also have good info that the cable provider doubles their offering when the fiber arrives to compete in neighborhoods so we'll go from 100 to 200 simply by the fact that we will have a competing offer with much higher speeds.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
This is where I crow about our municipal gigabit service, right?

Read Blinn

lakespapa
Inactive
Ya, tech went through everything to see if any were still 80211B. We're all G, but nothing has 5G. I've hard wired what I can running a long cat 6 cable under the house past the kitchen. Appliances there interfere with the wifi signals. That helped a lot. We'll go from 100 meg per sec to 1000 megs per second when fiber arrives. I also have good info that the cable provider doubles their offering when the fiber arrives to compete in neighborhoods so we'll go from 100 to 200 simply by the fact that we will have a competing offer with much higher speeds.

This is where I crow about our municipal gigabit service, right?

Pfff — gigabit. We're lucky to get 50mbps from TWC (or whatever they call themselves now: the monopoly). Fiber is somewhere in the state, but not here. And the next place we move will be dialup or dish (though we have excellent LTE coverage). I'll be going back to books.

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
True — but we're talking Putin, who, although his background is KGB, chafes at quietism at the global level.
Putin wouldn't waste his time with this. This is grassroots at it's best...

"However, left out of EVERY single major US mainstream media article about this massive cyber attack was the reason behind it—and that began shortly after the whistle blowing site Wikileaks announced on Twitter that a force of "heavily armed police" had appeared outside of the Ecuadorian Embassy in London where Wikileaks' founder Julian Assange has been living since 2012.

This massive attack ended when Wikileaks, again, posted on Twitter “ Mr. Assange is still alive and WikiLeaks is still publishing. We ask supporters to stop taking down the US internet. You proved your point".

jonc

Putting on skis
Skier
If you're all 802.11g devices the max speed is 54Mbps.

It only goes up once you get to N (5g/2.4g) and AC(5g). Also only some modern devices even have N or AC wifi cards which means the more recent smartphones and laptops(last 3 years or so). If you do have some of these the dualband router will help since it can talk to them over faster channels.

Security settings can also affect things, WEP and older WPA settings require slower connections. Make sure you have WPA2/AES enabled and WPS off for your wifi security.

Hard wiring is a good move, anything hardwired will have the best speeds.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
If you're all 802.11g devices the max speed is 54Mbps.

It only goes up once you get to N (5g/2.4g) and AC(5g). Also only some modern devices even have N or AC wifi cards which means the more recent smartphones and laptops(last 3 years or so). If you do have some of these the dualband router will help since it can talk to them over faster channels.

Security settings can also affect things, WEP and older WPA settings require slower connections. Make sure you have WPA2/AES enabled and WPS off for your wifi security.

Hard wiring is a good move, anything hardwired will have the best speeds.

A couple are 2.4g. Nothing on wireless pulls over about 60 mbps. We can get high 70s connected directly to either router or switch. What's more important than speed is robustness of the connections. A higher connection speed will deliver a more stable connection to a large number of devices than a slower, less dense signal set does. Everything we own non work related operates just fine at 5 mbps or better. But when we have so much demand drain spread across so many different devices at the same time, some sucking 50 mbps of the 100 available. Work related stuff I do has me moving gigs and gigs of data to and from servers all day long. I'd be screwed with a data cap plan. We've wondered if cable giant monopoly throttles us back sometimes. There are days where everything works fine and other days where the signal speed is all over the place, mostly on the low end.

jonc

Putting on skis
Skier
Putin wouldn't waste his time with this. This is grassroots at it's best...

"However, left out of EVERY single major US mainstream media article about this massive cyber attack was the reason behind it—and that began shortly after the whistle blowing site Wikileaks announced on Twitter that a force of "heavily armed police" had appeared outside of the Ecuadorian Embassy in London where Wikileaks' founder Julian Assange has been living since 2012.

This massive attack ended when Wikileaks, again, posted on Twitter “ Mr. Assange is still alive and WikiLeaks is still publishing. We ask supporters to stop taking down the US internet. You proved your point".
I haven't seen this theory reported anywhere but it would certainly fit. Protestors like to use these types of attacks.

I also heard that the head of Dyn (company that was attacked) recently gave a talk about DDoS security and how their products help protect companies. That might have been a trigger as well.

jonc

Putting on skis
Skier
Work related stuff I do has me moving gigs and gigs of data to and from servers all day long. I'd be screwed with a data cap plan. We've wondered if cable giant monopoly throttles us back sometimes.
Well that will certainly slow down your network!

They may throttle you sometimes but it would likely be a huge drop in speed for a long period not just a spotty connection.

I have a 150Mbps plan at home and some days it's just terrible, I can't imagine trying to run a business from it. If you bump up to business tiers at least you can call somebody to yell at when things aren't working well. Home users mostly get ignored unless it's plain broken.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
this DNS is actually coming from the USA. When spoofing my IP today anytime I went to the USA,my internet slowed way down.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I also ended up changing my VPN server location last week during the attack.

As for regular ISP service, they did something out there beyond the routers and modem in our house. Speeds are up a little and strength more robust. My son's got the newest machine, a Surface Pro and he's getting high 80s over wireless now where he was only getting 60s last week. The wired connections are now in the 90s where they were in the 70s last week and last month before we complained asking for a better product if available.

Crappiest machine is still dismal with speeds up to 30 mbps but mostly in the 1-5 range. Lots of other issues with that one including sound card crashing every time it opens a browser and plays anything with sound. Playing stuff directly from the hard drive works fine until after the browser crashes it.. then only rebooting restores the sound drivers. Time to upgrade that junk. Rest of the house is better, but haven't tried streaming video through 5 devices at the same time today. That is the true acid test..

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
The infrastructure is different from the last time I payed attention. Don't the retail Internet providers run DNS servers anymore? Or is the problem the master those servers refresh from?

Maybe we should go back to a local "etc/hosts" file. How many locations do you really need?

Last edited:

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
The infrastructure is different from the last time I payed attention. Don't the retail Internet providers run DNS servers anymore? Or is the problem the master those servers refresh from?

Maybe we should go back to a local "etc/hosts" file. How many locations do you really need?

Yes, I believe the DDOS was against a root server, or one very high up the chain.

We just use the google DNS servers at home. Easy peasy. But yeah, ISPs should make DNS available.

Bah, hosts file. Just memorize the IP addresses! (Good luck with IPv6.)

jonc

Putting on skis
Skier
Yes, I believe the DDOS was against a root server, or one very high up the chain.

We just use the google DNS servers at home. Easy peasy. But yeah, ISPs should make DNS available.

Bah, hosts file. Just memorize the IP addresses! (Good luck with IPv6.)
Not a root server just a very popular DNS provider. Google DNS was also affected to some extent although it was much better than most normal ISP connections. I heard OpenDNS fared better as they actually cache IPs to handle DNS being slow.

I just write addresses on post-it notes. 2607:f8b0:4000:801::200e

How many do you really need?

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier

Sponsor

Staff online