• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
So I guess bears didn't hibernate during the winter way back in olden times. Whew, I'm sure glad that has changed. I guess they skied their twin tips with cans of bear spray taped to their poles too right?

The Greenland bear is not much for sleeping , even over those long northern winter nights.
With bindings no more than a single loop, Swapping ends could very well be done on the fly. One does what one must! ;-)

skiii

Booting up
Skier
aerodynamic.

My brain can't fart 5-syllable words, although my body's boss has no problem. [See ancient "Boss of the Body" tale- available on the internet and absolutely true]

Speaking of ancient bosses...on a personal note, I once worked at WP Ski and Ride part-time for a season. This year the timing was right and I was happy to sign up for a legendary one-day Bump Jamboree. Although my coach was superb- he had competed in the early 80's, showed us how to ski "the hard line easy", etc.- the event fell a bit flat... NO BOB!

Nothing against Gernot, but freestyle skiing needs some free spirits. I hope Aspen is not too well-groomed...it was home to Hunter Thompson after all. Turns may be for speed control, but skiing moguls with understanding is for having a blast...

TS
Bob Barnes

Bob Barnes

Out on the slopes
Instructor
Contributor
Ha ha! No, Aspen is not too well groomed, with lots of bumps--and Aspen Highlands, where I am based, is even less groomed.

However...the Bob Barnes you must be referring to, who was the Director at Winter Park for 20+ years and led many bumps workshops, is now based at Vail. He is not me!

I, for one, would never say that turns are for speed control. (Neither would Hunter Thompson, I suspect. Don't know what kind of a mogul skier he was!) I don't advocate skiing the hard line easy, either, I don't think. But I am a big fan of skiing the slow line fast!

And another 10-20" is forecast for our mountains from the current storm. Winter Park is still open, along with Arapahoe Basin, Loveland, and Breckenridge. The great season continues!

Best regards,
Bob

skiii

Booting up
Skier
Oh, sorry Mr. Barnes! :doh: Thanks for the reply. It did strike me that Aspen (Highlands?) is an Ikonic, not Epic resort...

The "hard line easy" phrase was applied to taking relatively direct lines on <> and <><>'s at Mary Jane bump runs. I.e.: speed control using tactics and techniques that may not be intuitive even to advanced skiers. E.g.: extra turn on big bump; traversing high on the backside of a big steep bump to avoid a problem trough; centered pivot at top of bump, etc. I already understood "control first, then add speed", but this approach did help me make a break-through. Of course, just following the coach's line was instructive...