• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Bob Barnes

Out on the slopes
Instructor
Contributor
OK, so it's my first day out of my ski boots in nearly a month, and I thought I'd skim the Internet to see what's new in the world of skiing understanding. How 'bout a little history of ski design (and predictions for the future)...that could be interesting!

"In 1850, woodcarvers invented the cambered ski, a template for skis as we know them today. Bow-shaped, they had arches towards the center, making them more aerodynamic." (BraveSkiMom)

Aerodynamics! That's what camber is for...who knew? Well, I guess the author of the article knew, eh?

And just about immediately, my search for new learning on the WorldWideWeb was squelched before it had hardly started. DO NOT believe anything you read on the Internet! Question everything. Challenge, experiment, test, explore, and seek Understanding, because knowledge alone is worth nothing at all. You can "know" anything, true or false. Now we know that camber was developed to improve the aerodynamics of skis. As Benjamin Bloom pointed out in his Taxonomy of the Cognitive Domain, "knowledge" is only the very lowest rung on the ladder of cognitive activity. It does not require any level of mental processing beyond rote memorization. No need for comprehension. It might be right, it might be wrong.

And so it is, with so many things. Just sayin'!

Bend ze knees. Get forward. Crush your boots. Engage your ski tips so they pull you into the new turn. Turns are for speed control. There is no such thing as Centrifugal Force. Never incline (or worse, inclinate) ....

I hope everyone is having a great season. We certainly are here in Colorado! (But don't just take my word for it--I could be wrong. Come on out and test it for yourself!) ;-)

Best regards,
Bob

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
OK, so it's my first day out of my ski boots in nearly a month, and I thought I'd skim the Internet to see what's new in the world of skiing understanding. How 'bout a little history of ski design (and predictions for the future)...that could be interesting!

"In 1850, woodcarvers invented the cambered ski, a template for skis as we know them today. Bow-shaped, they had arches towards the center, making them more aerodynamic." (BraveSkiMom)

Aerodynamics! That's what camber is for...who knew? Well, I guess the author of the article knew, eh?

And just about immediately, my search for new learning on the WorldWideWeb was squelched before it had hardly started. DO NOT believe anything you read on the Internet! Question everything. Challenge, experiment, test, explore, and seek Understanding, because knowledge alone is worth nothing at all. You can "know" anything, true or false. Now we know that camber was developed to improve the aerodynamics of skis. As Benjamin Bloom pointed out in his Taxonomy of the Cognitive Domain, "knowledge" is only the very lowest rung on the ladder of cognitive activity. It does not require any level of mental processing beyond rote memorization. No need for comprehension. It might be right, it might be wrong.

Bend ze knees. Get forward. Crush your boots. Engage your ski tips so they pull you into the new turn. Turns are for speed control. There is no such thing as Centrifugal Force. Never incline (or worse, inclinate) ....

I hope everyone is having a great season. We certainly are here in Colorado! (But don't just take my word for it--I could be wrong. Come on out and test it for yourself!) ;-)

Best regards,
Bob

And all this time I thought skis were cambered so we didn't have to be walking up hill all the time. The ski tips would push the snow down in front of us, and away we would fly.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I believe I rode a chair with you at Highlands, but you were in the middle of a lesson (and in the middle of jokes) so I didn't want to interrupt to do a pro-instructor callout.

:)

ScottA

Booting up
Skier
and what from it do you intend to experiment with?

Mastering Reuel Christies :)

Just jokes, for me it was a great to read up about lots of ski terms I had heard but didn't really quite understand. Spent a lot of time googling bits and pieces as I worked my way down the list.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled

Best regards,
Bob

Excellent post Bob, and great to see you!

I've always seen a difference between people who knew everything and people who could think quickly. The former is more normally seen as a smart person, as they can answer most questions from memory.

I always thought of it as storage space vs. processing power. I like using the word "knowledge" for this.

But what of one of my favorite sayings that "knowledge is power"?

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled

Carl Kuck

Ambassador of Stoke
Skier
Did you know twin tips were invented by the Norwegians "way back when" so if you were being chased through the woods by bears and/or wolves and a tip broke you could flip the skis around and be on your way? This from the Holmenkollen museum (https://www.visitoslo.com/en/product/?TLp=496475) where they had a pair of twin tips that were several hundred years old! I'd highly recommend visiting the museum if you're even in Oslo...

James

Out There
Instructor
Well, at the Aspen Gathering a few years ago I demoed some skis at the Aspen Highlands shop. You could try 3-4 in a day I think. The first pair I tried was a Blizzard cheater gs 178ish. The things had a base issue, would barely slide sideways.

I went in after a few hours to change skis. Debated even bothering to tell them, those conversations rarely go well. But taking my boot off for the next pair, I told the young guy that there was an issue with the base. They couldn't slide sideways. "They're not supposed to slide. They're meant to be on edge." I didn't really want to go into that, so I explained that the base was either edge high or concave. With "concave" I took the ski and showed with my hand what I meant. "Oh, you mean camber!" Sigh. Thankfully, the shop manager heard that and took over, explaining what camber was.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

I actually happened to meet Brave Ski Mom one day at Solitude. Seemed pretty sharp, and a good skier. Likely this was a passing brain fart of some kind. We all have them.

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
Did you know twin tips were invented by the Norwegians "way back when" so if you were being chased through the woods by bears and/or wolves and a tip broke you could flip the skis around and be on your way? This from the Holmenkollen museum (https://www.visitoslo.com/en/product/?TLp=496475) where they had a pair of twin tips that were several hundred years old! I'd highly recommend visiting the museum if you're even in Oslo...

So when you are being chased by bears/wolves there's time to stop and turn the ski around? Or is this move done on the go?:P

James

Out There
Instructor
Well years ago I visited the Science and technology museum in Paris. Pretty small museum. Well, noninevwrnt there anyway. All the technology was French of course. It was extremely surprising in the modern era section to have an Apple computer there. Apparently it warranted inclusion because a Frenchman, Jean Luc Gassée, was head of the European section of Apple.

I don't think who made the oldest skis has been settled. The Swedes claim it's them. Russians and Mongolians claim it too.

Carl Kuck

Ambassador of Stoke
Skier
So when you are being chased by bears/wolves there's time to stop and turn the ski around? Or is this move done on the go?:P

Bear in mind (no pun intended) that we're talking about Vikings here...

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
So I guess bears didn't hibernate during the winter way back in olden times. Whew, I'm sure glad that has changed. I guess they skied their twin tips with cans of bear spray taped to their poles too right?

Sponsor

Staff online