• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
TS
jmeb

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
23m radius, camber, tip rocker, tail rocker, nothing crazy. Has metal. Maybe two sheets, don't know. It's not a light ski. Dynastar has made it for a long time. It's back next year as the Menace. NGT- Ugly. They added 187 or 8. Skis short.

I haven't skied it, but I hear good things. Fun. Good in bumps. Carves. Not as beefy as the Rossi Black Ops.
Supposedly the Dynastar rep skis on it.

Where are you seeing it has metal? None of the copy I can find on the internet mentions that -- just popular core plus fiberglass. Given the description as a playful freestyle ski, seems unlikely it would have metal.

https://www.evo.com/outlet/skis/dynastar-slicer-factory

James

Out There
Instructor
Where are you seeing it has metal? None of the copy I can find on the internet mentions that -- just popular core plus fiberglass.
Well, I think you're right. It's heavy enough. I guess I assumed "spring blade technology" was shaped metal.

Doesn't appear so. Just looked:
IMG_6465.JPG

My only hesitation is Dynastar list it as a Intermediate ski?!
They have a wide range? They also list it as a "powder" ski. :ogcool: I suppose if you want to bash jumps and stuff intermediate is ok, I really don't see the shop I got it at recommending it for an intermediate. Unless they're young and... very adventurous.
It's definitely an odd duck. They're used to be a women's version I hear, the Paradise. This ski has been around awhile!

I will say the shop guys really like it. Next year it gets ugly imo.
With pivot 18's, it's a heavy ski. More race like in heft. I have Pivot 18's on a 192 Stormrider 95 and it always seems light.

http://www.skiessentials.com/Chairlift-Chat/2016-Dynastar-TWIN-Ski-Collection-Overview/

https://blisterreview.com/gear-reviews/2019-2020-dynastar-menace-98

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I know at least 2 people who have these poles and love them. I know people who've broken or jammed their fingers with pole straps. There's a thread on here about straps or no straps. Interesting read! To each their own.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
My terrain coach suggested I go down a pole size. Well I've always wanted a pair of strapless poles so thank you amazing deal on flea bay.

View attachment 73934
Scott brought back that grip recently. The only knock against those is the weight and huge baskets..which create more swing weight too. IMHO, they might be counter productive to what your coach wants for that reason. Looking where the graphic are, they have been cut down already...hopefully not too much. ;) . Worse case, they are fun and a great addition to the decor of any true ski house.

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
Have to agree with @Philpug about being counter-productive. Also there is no way to push off with the pole to skate on the flats. Your coach just wanted shorter poles, which is something a lot of skier think they need tall. In order to carve and get low on the skis, the poles need to be shorter. It will also make you reach farther and be in a better body position for bumps.

The only pair of poles that I had consist problems with were that type of grip. And yes, I did sprain both thumbs at the same time with standard straps. But I was in constant pain at the thumb joint with that type.

As for "clipping" them on the chairlift bar, just be aware of any mid-station get offs.....like the at Tupper, DH broke his there.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Scott brought back that grip recently. The only knock against those is the weight and huge baskets..which create more swing weight too. IMHO, they might be counter productive to what your coach wants for that reason. Looking where the graphic are, they have been cut down already...hopefully not too much. ;) . Worse case, they are fun and a great addition to the decor of any true ski house.

I'll try them out but it's no biggie if they don't work. The length is the same as what I set my adjustable, poles so that part is perfect. They aren't heavy so I'm excited to try them. I wonder if I can swap the baskets out?

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I'd have to try them on to be sure, but the ones pictured above appear to be a variation on one of the sharper versions I steer clear of, correctly or not (though it appears to be one I haven't seen up close myself, maybe). I hope not. That nicely curving, sharp mold ridge is the thing that a hard fall can smack your thumb or wrist up against powerfully, to ill effect, is my understanding.

Way back when, these were the poles of choice; almost everyone used them. I still do (since the eighties?). The knock at the time that lead to their swift demise was indeed that they would bruise, strain, sprain or break ligaments, bones and stuff in and around the thumb on hard falls. I've experienced pain and strain from falls with a few of the various molds, and these I threw away long ago.

There were at least six slightly different plastic shapes/molds that I've found and tried on. To me maybe half or less than half were safe or at least safer, the rest not (and to other folks at the time as well, in articles and by word of mouth): it was less generally known at the time not all of them were dangerous, is my recollection - but all of them took the blame anyway. I could be wrong here.

I've owned four different molds, and only two or three of these seem safe(r), at least from my experience. These safer ones are more rounded, less sharp in terms of the molding, and in terms of catching and providing a sharp plastic breaking or straining point for the thumb, etc. to impact on. I've stockpiled the two safe(r) models I most like over the years, from ski swaps (super cheap), since they have not been sold for a long time, and are out of favor.

Unfortunately, none of the safe versions I'm aware of are molded to fit on a thinner and lighter pole, like the super light ones available today. At the same time, most of the tops of these are easily removed, and can go on any shaft of the same diameter. (I suppose I could devise some sort of wrap on a lighter pole to then fit these molds over - I keep meaning to try this.)

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I've wanted a pair of these ski poles ever since I saw them at a store on the access road in Killington. I am thrilled to pieces that I now own a pair and I look forward to skiing with them in October. I will be sure and let everyone know how they work out.

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Wow, one pair of ski poles have piqued the interest of many!

I bought a pair of LEKI trigger adjustable carbon poles because everyone told me they were great, but the trigger grip made my wrists weirdly sore. I quit using them and the soreness disappeared. Now I ski with a retro pair of bamboo ski poles with old style straps....so, yep, to each their own!

Maybe I should sell the Lekis.....

@surfsnowgirl ”I look forward to skiing with them in October”.......yeah, yeah, yeah.....rub it in! I am hoping for early December! ogsmile

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Well, I think you're right. It's heavy enough. I guess I assumed "spring blade technology" was shaped metal.

Doesn't appear so. Just looked:
View attachment 73745

They have a wide range? They also list it as a "powder" ski. :ogcool: I suppose if you want to bash jumps and stuff intermediate is ok, I really don't see the shop I got it at recommending it for an intermediate. Unless they're young and... very adventurous.
It's definitely an odd duck. They're used to be a women's version I hear, the Paradise. This ski has been around awhile!

I will say the shop guys really like it. Next year it gets ugly imo.
With pivot 18's, it's a heavy ski. More race like in heft. I have Pivot 18's on a 192 Stormrider 95 and it always seems light.

http://www.skiessentials.com/Chairlift-Chat/2016-Dynastar-TWIN-Ski-Collection-Overview/

https://blisterreview.com/gear-reviews/2019-2020-dynastar-menace-98

Totally not a soft intermediate ski. But friendly. Still can rip pretty fast. Very poppy. Holds a good edge. Skied it the first time back to back with the Nordica Nemesis and the Dynastar was way better...livelier, better in bumps, not planks. I owned the women’s version, the Paradise, which was the same ski as the Slicer. A ski instructor friend of mine in Maine now skis my old pair and he loves them, flower graphics and all. :roflmao:It is a real “sleeper” ski. James’ pair looks cool.

blackke17

I'd rather be at Alta
Skier
just scored the following for next season

2018 4FRNT Hoji's brand new $439 (this years skis go for $700 and only have a different top sheet)
2020 Marker Griffon 13's new off of Freeze proshop online $135 (sweet deal going on now)

Fell in love with the Hoji's on demo day at Solitude a couple years ago. finally pulled the trigger. got out much cheaper than i planned!!

great ski for Utah

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
@surfsnowgirl I am sure that it will be great. You do know that when you wear a bright "Look At Me" ski jacket you have to be a good skier. Because people will be watching.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
@surfsnowgirl I am sure that it will be great. You do know that when you wear a bright "Look At Me" ski jacket you have to be a good skier. Because people will be watching.

Indeed and it helps keep me on my game. Although I don't think of them as "look at me things" but I do consider myself a good skier. Life is too short to wear drab colors. I drive bright cars and wear bright ski clothes. I've also been known to die my hair bleach blonde or purple. I think it's fun!!! Skiing is the one place it seems to be cool to dress like a skittle and wear bright fun things. My normal ski pants when not teaching are bright flowery orange or bright flowery purple. If I wake up and am feeling off and want to be stealthy I wear black pants with my black Sherpa shell. ;)

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online