• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Lifting your inside foot in pow? That is an interesting quirk.

It's a bad habit I have in all sorts of conditions. Especially steeps where my body tends to lag behind my skis, which results in all sorts of mechanical .. effects. Working on it, but you know ..

Myles

Putting on skis
Skier
To compliment my Motive 95s (and Moment Underworlds) I just picked up a brand new pair of 15-16 Salomon X-Drive 8.0 FS with Salomon xt12 demo binding. $277. New. I thought that was a deal worth pulling the trigger on. I hope I like them half as much as Blister does for firm on-piste days. But, like so many, I'll have to wait 7 months to find out . . .

Skibob, what bindings did you have on your Motives?

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
Skibob, what bindings did you have on your Motives?
Aaatack 13 demo bindings. I love those bindings. Light. Easy click, easy adjust, very secure, reliable release. Strangely, my boots line up about .5 cm forward when I click in. Not sure if it is a mounting mistake or just an oddity of that exact bsl in that exact binding. I like them here. I've moved them 1cm forward (1.5 cm forward total). Too much tail. I've moved them back 1cm (back .5cm overall). I liked them there too. Can't really remember why I moved them back to neutral (+.5cm) but I like both of those on this ski.

Funny story about these bindings. The toe piece has a lever right aft of the AFD that you simply pull up in order to move the toe piece for different boot bsl. BTW, this is a great feature if you ever want to pack or ship, because the rail is completely independent of the binding. You can just slip them off and on in seconds.

Anyway, last day of this season, I stopped by the gondola, clicked out, bent down to grab each ski by the toe piece as I always do . . And the right ski suddenly plopped back to the snow and I was standing there holding the toe piece! I had just been run into by a snowboarder not 200yds up slope. My first thought was, "that SOB broke my binding!!!!" And then I quickly realized I had simultaneously grabbed the toe piece and lifted and stuck a finger under the adjust lever just far enough to release it. I laughed at myself and slid it back on (I know my bsl) and headed to the gondola.

BTW, I'm keeping the motives. Wouldn't dream of giving them up right now. The X-Drive is a complement, not a replacement.

Myles

Putting on skis
Skier
I have the Aattack demos on a pair of Monster 83s, and quite like them. I can totally relate to your issue with the snowboarder. One of my kids was goofing around with the binding when we were about half-way down a run a while back, and she must have hit the lever for the toe rail adjustment. Started to ski, and my ski came off because the toe had slid forward to the end of the rail. Fortunately, I was not going very fast, so it was easily remedied. I was asking about the binding as I have a chance to get a pair of Look pivot 14s for less than half price (around 150 US) at the moment and am considering those. I have never used a Look binding (always Salomon or Tyrolia), so I would be curious to hear what people have to say about them. I have always thought that they look pretty cool.

As for the X-drive 80, I tested a pair before I purchased my Monsters. It was undecided, until I discovered that the Salomons available at our only local store were sold out, which left me with one option. As I said before, I can hardly wait until December. I tried the Motives out over a couple of days in Sunshine and Lake Louise a few weeks ago and absolutely loved them (they had the Aattack 13 demos on them), despite what were likely marginal snow conditions. Made me feel 20 years younger. The purchase means that my friends and family in Calgary, Kelowna, and Reno will have to put up with at least one visit from me next winter.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
I have the Aattack demos on a pair of Monster 83s, and quite like them. I can totally relate to your issue with the snowboarder. One of my kids was goofing around with the binding when we were about half-way down a run a while back, and she must have hit the lever for the toe rail adjustment. Started to ski, and my ski came off because the toe had slid forward to the end of the rail. Fortunately, I was not going very fast, so it was easily remedied. I was asking about the binding as I have a chance to get a pair of Look pivot 14s for less than half price (around 150 US) at the moment and am considering those. I have never used a Look binding (always Salomon or Tyrolia), so I would be curious to hear what people have to say about them. I have always thought that they look pretty cool.

As for the X-drive 80, I tested a pair before I purchased my Monsters. It was undecided, until I discovered that the Salomons available at our only local store were sold out, which left me with one option. As I said before, I can hardly wait until December. I tried the Motives out over a couple of days in Sunshine and Lake Louise a few weeks ago and absolutely loved them (they had the Aattack 13 demos on them), despite what were likely marginal snow conditions. Made me feel 20 years younger. The purchase means that my friends and family in Calgary, Kelowna, and Reno will have to put up with at least one visit from me next winter.
Wow, you have friends in all the right places! You just need to get close to somebody in Park City and Boulder, maybe Taos and you're ready to spend the winter travelling!

As for the Look's, don't they look cool! I agree. Those who have them love them, I've never used them. And $150 sounds like a good deal. @Philpug ?

Any other thoughts on the x-drive?

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Tis the season for cheap used ski clothing. Took notes the past two seasons that I'd like bigger pockets and a little more fat ass room in my ski pants, and some red ones and some green ones. Scored three pairs, green, red. black that appear to fulfill those requirements for about $15-$20 per pair delivered. Also grabbed some blue gloves to go with my other blue gear, already got black gloves, black/red gloves, and red/green gloves. Looking to upgrade the blue jacket but haven't seen a winner there yet. Blacks, greens, reds. greys are covered pretty well through including two fart bags that aren't 90s neon.

Myles

Putting on skis
Skier
Any other thoughts on the x-drive?

I really liked the x-drives. Tried the 8.0s and wanted to try the 8.3.s and 8.8s, but they were all gone by the time I went looking for demos. Stiffer than the Monsters I ended up with, but did not feel as 'fun'. Carve very well, can carry speed as well, better than the Monsters at least, and track nicely. A powerful ski, if I recall correctly. Did not get a chance to ski them in new snow or crud (just groomed and ice), so not much to say on that score. Apparently, around here they were very popular because they all disappeared.

As for western trips, I forgot that one of my wife's aunts lives outside of Boulder. Might have to visit her for the first time ever.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
For those with Attack 13's, reg and demo's. make sure you adjust the toe height. These are coming shipped with the maximum height set, and need to be adjusted.
Way i was told to do it was to click your boot in, put a business card on the AFD and adjust down to where you could just get the card out from under the boot. Is good?

Jeff N

I'm an anachronism
Skier
Way i was told to do it was to click your boot in, put a business card on the AFD and adjust down to where you could just get the card out from under the boot. Is good?

That is always how I have adjusted Salomon Toes...

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Yes, but it is a step that is missed a lot.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Tis the season for deals on gear to wear next season! Everything below under $35shipped, most new.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Oh and SOCKS!!!!!! Did I mention SOCKS???

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Did anyone report that Rossignol is getting out of the binding business and Look is going to sell bindings with out the Rossi name next year? So some shops have purchased Rossi bindings cheap because Rossi is cleaning out and giving good deals on the bindings that still have the Rossi name. See the link below:

https://www.proctorski.com/p/1436/d/1/8/1/0/skis_bindings_rossignol.aspx

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Did anyone report that Rossignol is getting out of the binding business and Look is going to sell bindings with out the Rossi name next year? So some shops have purchased Rossi bindings cheap because Rossi is cleaning out and giving good deals on the bindings that still have the Rossi name. See the link below:

https://www.proctorski.com/p/1436/d/1/8/1/0/skis_bindings_rossignol.aspx

I think @Philpug has reported on this, but fair reminder anyhow. Ah, you shop at Proctor. :) ~20 years ago P-J used to be one of my favourite racey gear shops.

Yes, early on it is one of the first things we posted, RIP Rossignol Bindings.

Emil

Putting on skis
Skier
I just got hold of a set of new Warden bindings for 69€. That is probably my best deal of the season. Now I only have to buy skis. Völkl 100eight is a strong contender.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
I just got hold of a set of new Warden bindings for 69€. That is probably my best deal of the season. Now I only have to buy skis. Völkl 100eight is a strong contender.
Where do you ski? I don't know northern Europe much. But I have a friend from Northern Germany. He just started (snowboarding) here in Northern California. Said ski areas (alpine) were too far away when he was growing up.

Emil

Putting on skis
Skier
Where do you ski? I don't know northern Europe much. But I have a friend from Northern Germany. He just started (snowboarding) here in Northern California. Said ski areas (alpine) were too far away when he was growing up.

I live by the coast in northern part Sweden. Germany and the alps is far away I haven't really though about it but I need a to fly to the Alps. Otherwise I guess that it is 3 days driving from here. We have 4 bunny hills within 1h drive and decent mountains by the Norwegian border within 4-6h. Nothing compared to the Alps but enough to keep you happy and your wallet not too empty. Snow Dec-Apr. And then Norway is 6h drive away with spectacular BC skiing.

I could understand the German guy. Northern part of Germany if rather flat and with warm winters and also pretty from the Alps if I recall correctly.

Last edited:

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
I live by the coast in northern part Sweden. Germany and the alps is far away I haven't really though about it but I need a to fly to the Alps. Otherwise I guess that it is 3 days driving from here. We have 4 bunny hills within 1h drive and decent mountains by the Norwegian border within 4-6h. Nothing compared to the Alps but enough to keep you happy and your wallet not too empty. Snow Dec-Apr. And then Norway is 6h drive away with spectacular BC skiing.

I could understand the German guy. Northern part of Germany if rather flat and with warm winters and also pretty from the Alps if I recall correctly.
Thanks for satisfying my curiosity. I figured there had to be skiing in Scandinavia somewhere if you went far enough north. I have a friend who lived in Oslo for 20 years, but only cross-country skied.

Sponsor

Staff online