• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

ARL67

Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I had good luck selling off some of my skis, so I had plenty of ski budget on tap.
3 weeks ago went to Bannf Alberta on a family ski-trip ...

Had new BMX105-HP 181 shipped to my hotel, then mounted up with K13 Attack demo.

Bought DPS Wailer 106 Foundation from a local Banff shop, mounted up with Jester demo

2 days ago I was returning a Stockli rental, and I spied one last set V-Werks Katana 184 hiding in a corner.
I impulse-bought as it was on sale at a couldn't-say-no price. It won't see snow until my 2017 ski trip. I had the VWK before in 177 and it is a great all-arounder IMO, regardless of its 112 waist. I really don't know why I sold off my 177, I guess just to try the next thing coming out.

Though I will be parting with either #1 or #2 above in a couple weeks after I pick a keeper.
FWIW I never pay full pop for skis and somehow always find a deal or discount, be it new or very mildly used.

~ Andy

Last edited:

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
So uhh ... remember my Volkl Twos? Yeah, forget those. Check out THESE. Fat-ypus V-Rock. $275/pair. (I-Rocks also available at same price)

The graphics on the website turned me off, but in person, they're gorgeous. And soon to be mounted with Attack 13s.

What could this mysterious package contain?
3NhjjIu.jpg

Partially disrobed:
Z5gsVjS.jpg

OOOOH:
vMLGGNw.jpg

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
Just ordered a pair of head i.Supershape Rally Skis w/PR Bindings. I'm a little bit excited. Thank you @Philpug for the help! :daffy:
Vendor and $$$ please!

OK, don't know how I managed to read those out of order. Forget that request, as the deal is likely long gone.

Last edited:

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
HAH! I knew you couldn't resist the lure of the Fatter Yet Ski.

I had actually decided to be done, done, done with the whole IDEA of a superfat ski. I was on the lift at the end of our 15" day, where we really didn't get much powder at all because everyone and their brother was out there, telling my buddy Barry that the Twos were wearing me out too quickly, and I sometimes cross tips with them, which is exceedingly unfun.

And then Barry told me he was just now getting his fattest skis ever, the I-Rocks.

See, several of our female friends ski the V-Rock as an everyday ski. And Fat-ypus was selling 'em for $275. I was intrigued. I asked the ladies some questions, and got the contact info for the owner (turns out I'm not that special - it's right on their website). I talked to him a bit. It was so cool to talk to the owner and designer of the boards about the ski. And I do love the fact that he's literally based in Breckenridge.

So, yeah, I got a pair of V-Rocks for me and a pair of I-Rocks for the husband. Next season, they're merging the lines. There's no difference except topsheet *and* the fact that as the skis get longer, they add more stringers to make them stiffer (is that common?). He said he's just working on spreading the word and getting repeat customers.

Jared, the guy who owns Fat-ypus, said the crossing tips suggested the Twos (176) are too long. Maybe. I think it actually comes from my bad habit of lifting my inside foot in challenging snow. Harder to do with a heavier ski, so they collide. It's not great, but it's not going to be fixed by punishing myself on powder days. The V-Rocks (166) are actually lighter than the La Ninas, which I find plenty light, and a full 2.5 pounds lighter than the Twos.

We'll see. This is my last attempt at super fat skis. Honest.

sullywhacker

Booting up
Skier
Had a wonderful back and forth with Cyrus regarding the ENDURANCE 98 - discussed both V1 vs V2 and trying to line up a late season demo in Park City. He would have gotten them there but then I bagged the trip due to 70 degree weather. So then I figured "who needs to demo" when the reviews are so uniformly "this ski is way cool" and the price on the web site for a very lightly used demo is half retail:

Renoun.98.JPG

Shipped in bubble wrap like they were fine porcelain and with a fresh tune and summer wax to boot -- Cyrus is a really good dude.

TS
jmeb

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
My SO (who's skis I started this thread about) has been complaining that she has to snowshoe when I go spring-corn harvesting with friends. She wanted to ski some mellow corn this spring. Thanks to a mag over on TGR she got skis (g3 barons), bindings (dynafit comforts) and skins (black diamond cut to size) for a whopping $170.

Turns out, you *can* fit skis in a Miata.

13102872_10100830939507390_2269213574781647985_n.jpg

Read Blinn

lakespapa
Inactive
My SO (who's skis I started this thread about) has been complaining that she has to snowshoe when I go spring-corn harvesting with friends. She wanted to ski some mellow corn this spring. Thanks to a mag over on TGR she got skis (g3 barons), bindings (dynafit comforts) and skins (black diamond cut to size) for a whopping $170.

So long as you're not fitting your friend, too.

Read Blinn

lakespapa
Inactive
Had a wonderful back and forth with Cyrus regarding the ENDURANCE 98 - discussed both V1 vs V2 and trying to line up a late season demo in Park City. He would have gotten them there but then I bagged the trip due to 70 degree weather. So then I figured "who needs to demo" when the reviews are so uniformly "this ski is way cool" and the price on the web site for a very lightly used demo is half retail:

View attachment 7988

Shipped in bubble wrap like they were fine porcelain and with a fresh tune and summer wax to boot -- Cyrus is a really good dude.

Can this also be a "Jealous of a Ski Purchase" thread?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Not an issue. I think there are 4 Miatas on the forum...yours, @wilde1 , @Bill Talbot and us. All NA6's

TS
jmeb

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Not an issue. I think there are 4 Miatas on the forum...yours, @wilde1 , @Bill Talbot and us. All NA6's

I haven't had mine for a while. It went into a body shop in Jan after a hit-and-run while parked on the street. While in the shop someone stole the hard top off it. Took them a few months to source a new one, paint to match etc. In the end I'm not complaining as they waived my deductible, the new hardtop is nicer than the old, and i had free storage for my car over winter (it got moved inside since the soft top is shredded too.)

I was planning on rigging a two pairs of skis to it and driving it up the hill for closing weekend this week. Not gonna happen though -- too much snow in the forecast! :daffy:

Myles

Putting on skis
Skier
Received these today direct from Fischer Canada. Tried a pair a few weeks ago when I was out in Alberta and loved them so much I had to get a pair (even though I certainly do not need another pair of skis). With shipping and taxes in, came to around $200 US, so it shouldn't bankrupt the kids' college fund. Now, if only there were some place to ski them around here before December. Oh well, should give me some time to install bindings.

Motives.jpg

TS
jmeb

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Received these today direct from Fischer Canada. Tried a pair a few weeks ago when I was out in Alberta and loved them so much I had to get a pair (even though I certainly do not need another pair of skis). With shipping and taxes in, came to around $200 US, so it shouldn't bankrupt the kids' college fund. Now, if only there were some place to ski them around here before December. Oh well, should give me some time to install bindings.

View attachment 8051 .

Damn! I wish I could get them to ship to USA. I would pickup a pair in 186 in a heart beat.

Myles

Putting on skis
Skier
Damn! I wish I could get them to ship to USA. I would pickup a pair in 186 in a heart beat.

It isn't often that something is less expensive here in Canada than in the US. Mine were shipped from Montreal; maybe a road trip is in order for you?

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier

View attachment 8051 .
Speaking from experience, you are going to love those . . .

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
To compliment my Motive 95s (and Moment Underworlds) I just picked up a brand new pair of 15-16 Salomon X-Drive 8.0 FS with Salomon xt12 demo binding. $277. New. I thought that was a deal worth pulling the trigger on. I hope I like them half as much as Blister does for firm on-piste days. But, like so many, I'll have to wait 7 months to find out . . .

Myles

Putting on skis
Skier
To compliment my Motive 95s (and Moment Underworlds) I just picked up a brand new pair of 15-16 Salomon X-Drive 8.0 FS with Salomon xt12 demo binding. $277. New. I thought that was a deal worth pulling the trigger on. I hope I like them half as much as Blister does for firm on-piste days. But, like so many, I'll have to wait 7 months to find out . . .

What a great deal!

Jeff N

I'm an anachronism
Skier
I had actually decided to be done, done, done with the whole IDEA of a superfat ski. I was on the lift at the end of our 15" day, where we really didn't get much powder at all because everyone and their brother was out there, telling my buddy Barry that the Twos were wearing me out too quickly, and I sometimes cross tips with them, which is exceedingly unfun.

And then Barry told me he was just now getting his fattest skis ever, the I-Rocks.

See, several of our female friends ski the V-Rock as an everyday ski. And Fat-ypus was selling 'em for $275. I was intrigued. I asked the ladies some questions, and got the contact info for the owner (turns out I'm not that special - it's right on their website). I talked to him a bit. It was so cool to talk to the owner and designer of the boards about the ski. And I do love the fact that he's literally based in Breckenridge.

So, yeah, I got a pair of V-Rocks for me and a pair of I-Rocks for the husband. Next season, they're merging the lines. There's no difference except topsheet *and* the fact that as the skis get longer, they add more stringers to make them stiffer (is that common?). He said he's just working on spreading the word and getting repeat customers.

Jared, the guy who owns Fat-ypus, said the crossing tips suggested the Twos (176) are too long. Maybe. I think it actually comes from my bad habit of lifting my inside foot in challenging snow. Harder to do with a heavier ski, so they collide. It's not great, but it's not going to be fixed by punishing myself on powder days. The V-Rocks (166) are actually lighter than the La Ninas, which I find plenty light, and a full 2.5 pounds lighter than the Twos.

We'll see. This is my last attempt at super fat skis. Honest.

I think it is pretty common to add stringers as the ski gets longer. You need more stiffness because you have more weight out from the fulcrum point of your feet.

Lifting your inside foot in pow? That is an interesting quirk. Back in the straight ski era, I learned to sink the inside ski, because that is how you make beginner turns when waterskiing. Sink the ski a little deeper in the water and the additional drag makes you rotate towards that side. It works on snow skis in deep snow and is usually the first method I teach.

Sponsor

Staff online