• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider
88592353-234E-4F2C-8574-C5825E7D41EF.jpeg

So Killington appropriate :)

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I'm revamping my quiver a bit as I realized I like a little softer ski but still one with some guts. I thought I was done owning Volkls. However, this past season I ended up demoing the Volkl Kanjo in a 168 on a day when it was just puking snow at Mount Snow in southern Vermont. Needless to say this ski was a surprise to me as it was nimble, fun, great in the powder bumps and Michael said I looked very comfortable on it. I'd planned on picking up one this summer at some point as I'm a patient deal hunter. Well surprise to me I somehow wound up on @SkiEssentials page and saw a 2018 Yumi in a 168 demo with bindings for a screaming price. I admit I'm playing the girlie card and I like the topsheet of the Yumi better and was pretty sure it was the same ski as the Kanjo. After confirming this with ski essentials I pulled the trigger. I don't even have them yet but I'm very excited. I owned the prior Yumi and while it was ok, it was just too light for me. The titanol band in the Kanjo/Yumi really, really makes a difference. This ski was described to me as the softness of the yumi we love but with the backbone of the Kenja. I'm calling it my new baby Kenja.

This isn't the exact pair of skis but it's what the 2018 looks like. Mine will have bindings and did I say after the discount, an amazing price. I'm stoked.

clone.jpg

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
The Yumi should work great for you to get some mileage on @surfsnowgirl. Goal now is building comfort and confidence on the steep terrain losing those old tentative line hunting turns. Once you get the point where you are driving this ski and no longer just going for the ride the Yumi's will let you know when you are ready to graduate to a ski like the Volkl Secret.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
The Yumi should work great for you to get some mileage on @surfsnowgirl. Goal now is building comfort and confidence on the steep terrain losing those old tentative line hunting turns. Once you get the point where you are driving this ski and no longer just going for the ride the Yumi's will let you know when you are ready to graduate to a ski like the Volkl Secret.

Thank you for all your help and guidance. I swear your coaching made something magical happen to my skiing. The last 5 weeks of my season from the end of March until that first week of May was probably the best several weeks of my season. I cannot wait to work on those steeps practicing confident lines and dicing into that hard pack and ice building on my new found confidence. Skiing what seemed like weeks of ungroomed terrain I'm sure didn't hurt either. I feel like I'm a reborn skier. I will bring out my SL cheaters early season but those Yumi's will come out and play sooner rather than later that's for sure. I knew as soon as I skied the Kanjo that the ski felt different to me. I'm happy to have it to continue to grow. I'm really looking forward to next season. I will have been at my job near a year and a half by October so I plan to call in sick on Killington's opening day!!!!

Last edited:

TrueNorth

Getting on the lift
Skier
N+1 - the cheapskate version. Yes, you're reading that right, $299 plus a buck for delivery. If I put two locks and a saddle cable on it they will be worth more than the bike. Heck, replace the saddle and post and they will be worth more than the bike.

https://www.populo.com/collections/sale - notice the roadie and hybrids as well.

Quest_2000x.jpg

What do you think, is that too ...ahem... budget to bother with putting red electrical tape on the magenta bits?

@cantunamunch, what brakes did your bike come with? There’s a recent review on the Populo site where a guy says his came with much cheaper/inferior brakes than the ones listed in the specs. Were the other parts as per specs?

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
The bike arrived partially assembled - and the first order of business was to take it back apart and re-grease everything. The headset is (was) on the barely-functional side of rudimentary and the chainrings are (were) cheapo stamped steel.

Brakes were Tektro as advertised; no fuss there.

The saddle is actually a rather nice Phenom knockoff; the post is directly comparable to Thomson ones from ~15 years ago. Wheels are meh but functional; I can probably go to 38+mm tires on it with no problems. Not a fan of the existing tires but I plan on putting ~500 miles in on them before I even consider changing to better. So...maybe Monday next :D

The BB is pretty low - I doubt I will ever try putting a 650B wheel on there, no matter the tire.

At present I've got ~ $60 of parts (headset, rings, fenders) on there beyond the purchase price. It's not a light bike but it's perfectly functional for commuting on mixed-surface trails. Top notch rain bike - which has turned out to be a very good thing given our current weather patterns.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer