• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
REI has this fun video of two women taking their first ski lesson.
There is some truth to it and some humor to it. Enjoy

CrystalRose

Putting on skis
Skier
Loved this! My first day wasn't that long ago and they pretty much captured it. That first walk in boots is no joke. Between them and juggling skis and poles (that I had no idea how to carry) the walk from the rental area to the beginner lesson almost did me in. Also, had my pants gaiter tucked inside the boots. Thankfully the instructor checked so I must not be the only one! Also remember riding the magic carpet with all the kids and how they did so well. I still love to see them zoom by me as I struggle. It always makes me laugh:roflmao:.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I was 12 years old in jeans and some crappy gloves at Big Blue in Canton, MA. Figured out the rope tow and and went straight down the icy bunny hill, through the orange fence, and skied on leaves half way down to the parking lot. My mother who doesn't ski says it was one of the funniest days of her life watching us that day.

Bill Miles

Old Man Groomer Zoomer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The humorous part of my first lesson was the period between we I got there at 9:00 (PTA ski school bus) and the lesson started at !2:00 or 1:00.

Bob Barnes

Out on the slopes
Instructor
Contributor
Agreed, Mike. A bit overdone, perhaps, but amusing, ... right up until "Anne" (who is quite a good skier herself) described how to turn (push on and twist the outside ski). Not current. Never really was--although it is still the way a whole lot of "current" instructors still teach...the dead-end movement habits of defensive skiing.

To elaborate just a little for anyone who may be curious, note that the wedge is not the problem. Wedges are not any more inherently defensive than parallel skis are inherently offensive--you can brake (defensive), or glide and turn (offensive), with either one. It is the twisting of the outside ski (or both skis in the case of parallel) into an intentional skid that makes the so-called "turns" defensive braking movements. Contemporary teaching--although unfortunately rare indeed even in contemporary ski schools--emphasizes turning both skis, tips-first, into the turn, rather than twisting the tail, or tails, out into a skid (off the road). Enlightened instructors, when teaching turning, emphasize using the skis' edges to grip and hold the road, rather than to skid intentionally and scrub off speed (both movements and outcomes that are direct opposites of each other and incompatible). It is interesting that "Anne" does describe completing turns and gliding uphill as a preferred way to slow when you need to (good!), even as she teaches movements that would make it difficult or impossible to hold that line and complete those turns.

Still amusing and mostly upbeat. But I really wish that ski schools and companies like REI would do their homework and embrace a better understanding of good skiing! Those first turns, first sensations, and first impressions are so vitally, critically important to learning to really enjoy this sport, and to continuing to progress seamlessly and without plateaus and dead ends, from day 1 on. The teaching in this segment, rather than instilling the love of gliding and introducing the effortless, elegant, gliding turns of experts, instead introduces "turns" as brakes, and gliding and speed as something to be fought against. That ain't it!

Best regards,
Bob

Last edited:

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
They put 'em on one of the center-pole doubles without a safety bar for their first lift ride? Is that to ensure that nobody ever comes back?

john petersen

working through minutia to find the big picture!
Instructor
all in all its a cute lil vid....

JP