• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
TS
David Chaus

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
While I like the idea of visiting some other resorts in BC, I wonder if it makes more sense to repeat what we did this year in Banff, maybe add on a day or two at Kicking Horse, and hopefully have a larger gathering since we’d be planning more in advance. The people who participate can then reach a concensus (or vote) on where to go the following year.

While there is value in chasing the best conditions/snow/terrain, my feeling for these gatherings is that it is as much about the social aspect of skiing with friends, some of whom we’ve met and some we haven’t yet.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I'm out for the upcoming winter I think, but just throwing it out there..we prefer the ski-in/ski-out..dunno how others might feel..just makes life easier with the kids. Maybe winter 2020 folks!

albertanskigirl

aka Sabrina
Skier
I'm out for the upcoming winter I think, but just throwing it out there..we prefer the ski-in/ski-out..dunno how others might feel..just makes life easier with the kids. Maybe winter 2020 folks!

for ski in/ski out - that really means fernie, panorama, kimberley, big white, sun peaks, sunshine village, silver star, some limited at revy and kh or sunshine village. did i miss any?

scott43

Skier
for ski in/ski out - that really means fernie, panorama, kimberley, big white, sun peaks, sunshine village, silver star, some limited at revy and kh or sunshine village. did i miss any?
Well..Whistler..but that's a whole other argument! :D I suppose Red has some condo stuff on mountain.. But I'm really out for the upcoming year...

Old boot

Getting on the lift
Skier
I would love to do some of this. I havn't been to some of these places in a long time. Some never been. Unfortunately as long as my wife is teaching at Whistler I probably will not get a chance to go other places unless its like Abasin for mothers day. She just wouldn't understand "I am not spending my week skiing with you cause I really like hanging out with Dave and the others" So for the near future it will be WB for me. She is already planning her return for next season and she hasn't been gone for 2 weeks yet. Ya never know though some things change fast with us.
I will keep tabs on the thread.

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
actually a shorter list of areas that don't have ski in ski out.
the local hills near Vancouver (except Hemlock). and inland Lake Louise, Norquay and Whitewater.
Is nice to ski to and from your room and my wife does prefer it but it's not difficult to stay a short drive away,
Always easier for last minute. Most of my skiing is last minute. Won't know if i'm skiing tomorrow or not until bedtime tonight

Picking date is always the hardest part of assembling a group so my only input would be to pick a date first and then narrow to location.
There never seems to be many from this region on this site and the skiing can be good everywhere . For all areas it's a day's drive at worst.

scott43

Skier
Not trying to be argumentative, just expressing my thoughts on it..we'll bring 2 kids probably and I can't see going unless it's ski in/ski out. I know, I know..but it just works easier for parents I think. Not trying to say conform for the one group that has kids, but it's a consideration. Totally understand if it's a best snow/terrain decision and it turns out to be a driving thing. I just don't think i can convince my wife to buy into it. I'm the stick in the mud! :)

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
totally get your point, with kids much easier to stay ski in out, you never know how long the day will last.

TS
David Chaus

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Apex?

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
It is more than just a coincidence that the resorts with the most ski in/out, Sun Peaks, Silver Star, Big White, are the most family friendly (most intermediate terrain) as it is families that buy ski homes and most families usually have at least one intermediate skier.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Comment from the peanut gallery:

If Sunshine Lodge is the only slopeside option in Banff area, it's not a very good place to stay and try to daytrip to LL or Norquay because of remoteness and restricted gondola service up to Sunshine Lodge. Having said that, Sunshine Lodge is an outstanding property, similar to the slopeside lodges at Alta in atmosphere and convenience. If folks really wanted to gather again in Banff, then maybe schedule four days at Sunshine Lodge and do three days staying in Banff town before or after the Sunshine days? Those who only want slopeside could stay at Sunshine the whole week and still get to enjoy many days with the group. However, for most others it would not make much sense for a gathering only at Sunshine and not get to ski LL or enjoy après ski in Banff while in the region.

Mike Rogers

Out on the slopes
Skier
Comment from the peanut gallery:

If Sunshine Lodge is the only slopeside option in Banff area, it's not a very good place to stay and try to daytrip to LL or Norquay because of remoteness and restricted gondola service up to Sunshine Lodge. Having said that, Sunshine Lodge is an outstanding property, similar to the slopeside lodges at Alta in atmosphere and convenience. If folks really wanted to gather again in Banff, then maybe schedule four days at Sunshine Lodge and do three days staying in Banff town before or after the Sunshine days? Those who only want slopeside could stay at Sunshine the whole week and still get to enjoy many days with the group. However, for most others it would not make much sense for a gathering only at Sunshine and not get to ski LL or enjoy après ski in Banff while in the region.

I have spent one night at Sunshine. I agree, it's a nice lodge and it's pretty cool to be on the mountain after it closes.

....BUT, it is often pretty expensive, and unlike a place like Alta, all restaurants, bars, and shops are owned by the hill. Not a lot of variety and no competition on prices.

TS
David Chaus

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
It’s not like it’s difficult to get to Sunshine from Banff. What, 20 minutes? Pffftttt!

Mike Rogers

Out on the slopes
Skier

Castle has a hotel/hostel combo plus a bunch of vacation homes.

Mike Rogers

Out on the slopes
Skier
So, I have settle on the RCR Superpass for next year. Would probably be available to meet at Fernie, Kicking Horse or Louise.

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
Unfortunately as long as my wife is teaching at Whistler I probably will not get a chance to go other places unless its like Abasin for mothers day. She just wouldn't understand "I am not spending my week skiing with you cause I really like hanging out with Dave and the others"

She’s teaching, right? You won’t be missed.

Anyway, the reason I am perusing this thread is that I was wondering if there will be a gathering in April. A search for “April” in “Gatherings...” brought up this thread.

Last edited:

albertanskigirl

aka Sabrina
Skier
She’s teaching, right? You won’t be missed.

Anyway, the reason I am perusing this thread is that I was wondering if there will be a gathering in April. A search for “April” in “Gatherings...” brought up this thread.

I'm always skiing in April. Y'all can gather here!

Sponsor

Staff online