• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Every once in a while I stumble upon some old footage that leaves me with my mouth hanging open.

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Thanks for sharing that. Now just need to brush up my Japaneese.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I have no idea what they're saying, but the skiing was fun to watch.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
The thread title is flawed! First thing is you never state Ingemar Stenmarks name without being preceded by "The Great". Kinda like someone who has been knighted is "sir" or the Queen is "Her Majesty". 2nd, it's Ingemar not Ingmar ogwink.

Thread title should read: THE GREAT INGEMAR STENMARK or INGEMAR the GREAT may be acceptable.
Thanks

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@4ster thanks for the correction. Edits made

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
I have had occasion to meet him a couple of times in more recent years. Incredible gentleman, and still in incredible shape. No doubt a tremendous athlete. He seemed quite shy.

Thanks for posting that clip, Tricia. I agree, 100%, with @BGreen's comment.

Sometimes we get all hung up on one era versus another, and that devolves to equipment, course surfaces and sets, breakaway gates, and on and on.

I'm pretty sure that Stenmark in his prime, if skiing today, would be just incredible to watch. And that he would win, OFTEN.

Watch his movement; he was so incredibly smooth, and cat like quick. Which was not easy, at all.

Thanks again for posting, @Tricia !

Last edited:

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
To ski to that level for that long is an amazing statement to his greatness.

The gym shots are just mind boggling! Did not know a human could do that.

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It is a thing of beauty to watch. His technique looks very much like todays, after the 5:07 mark.
Nice wide stance, nice balance!
He don' need no stinkin' shape skis

Living Proof

We All Have The Truth
Skier
I've always loved his skiing. One could build a powerful argument that he is the best ever. His major competitor was Phil Mahre, it was great to see them back in the day.
Whenever watching GS skiing of that era, I just wish that modern GS had the freedom of flow displayed by Stenmark and his peers. today's GS skiing is not a style to be emulated by recreational skiers.

Good find Trish.

1chris5

Getting off the lift
Skier
Love this video: reminds me of Wide World of Sports with the tagline "the thrill of victory and Agony of defeat".
Also, the crowd shown @ 2 min. is massive. Watching Stenmark is exhausting! Thank God for the invention of shaped skis.

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Stenmark also won "You Think You Can Dance" a couple of years ago, think it was 2015, in Sweden. He always wants to win. He's stubborn, quite, gets the job done. Has been an icon in Sweden for everyone growing up in the 70's and 80's.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Dang! I looked it up. This is fantastic!
Fun that the song is Diamonds are a Girls Best Friend, for a guy who skis diamonds with ease

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
But wait. There's more!

This has me thinking more about athletes and their body awareness. Ingemar most definitely knows how to move.

Sponsor

Staff online