• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

TimothyD11

Booting up
Skier
The fog...and foggy goggles is now making me nauseous and ruining ski days. Suggestions?

So I'm now 52 and it looks like I now get nauseous every time visibility gets bad due to fog and / or goggle issues. I enjoy skiing too much to have this ruin days like this. Anyone else suffer from this? Did you find a medicine that works? I'm guess a motion sickness medicine?

This is happening quite regularly so I am going to have to do something about this if I'm going to stick with something I love...when it's not making me feel bad! :(

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Do other things get you nauseous? Wondering if this more related to something like vertigo like issue from dizziness?

James

Out There
Instructor
Abom goggles for anti-fog.
Doctor for your eyes/brain.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
My wife had an episode of vertigo with no apparent cause a couple of years ago. Could be an inner-ear infection (hers wasn't). There is anti-vertigo medicine (forget the name). She took it for a while and it cleared up.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
For true vertigo (like positional vertigo, which I get once or twice a year), I've never found Antivert (meclizine) to do a bit of good. But I've always had that merry-go-round/funhouse feel when my head suddenly changes position, not really while I'm skiing. And yes, I will have that for six weeks stints during ski season. There's crazy maneuvers the doctor can run you through, but I haven't ever made an appointment to do it. I tried to do it myself once, made it worse.

But, skiing where I do, I regularly get conditions where a true vertical stance as you come to a stop is not quite clear for a second, or you think you've stopped but you haven't. And it takes a few seconds to get your equilibrium under control. I might stop and shake my head a bit because I'm losing my grip on what is up vs down. I wouldn't say I get nauseous exactly. The older I get the more flat light and fog affects me. I think maybe some kind of contrast vision is being lost as I age. So, yes, I have both true vertigo and frequently a skiing type of "vertigo" that is nowhere as bad, but still undermines your confidence. And I've taken several falls due to fog. Twice because I thought I was stopped when I wasn't. Twice because I couldn't see a radical anomaly in the snow surface and just slammed into it.

Certain goggle colors can help with contrast when it's a flat light problem. I use rose tinted ones. Then the rest is tactical. Don't select slopes without trees you can either ski alongside of or dive into. Even on a really foggy day one side of a run may have more "shadow" from those trees. Figure out where the sun is, then figure out where the slightly more shadowed side should be. Slopes with choppy conditions are easier to see than untouched powder. Yes, we all love first tracks, but if there's no trees and it's socked in, you need some texture to show you the slope. Second choice is slopes with other people (moving trees). Follow a friend, make them do the work. This is not a time to ski wide open bowls.

Now meclizine can help with vague nausea due to fog. But it won't help you ski it. Planning your route is what you need. Maybe see if there's a part of the resort below the fog layer. And, worst case, and something I've done, is to just swallow your pride and download.

Last edited:

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Smith Chromapop lenses really do make colours pop and enhance clarity and contrast. Oakley Prism lenses have a similar technology.

Spherical lenses due to their bulbous design increase the distance and therefore volume of air between the lens and the eye,helping reduce lens fogging.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I find my goggles don't usually fog but the glasses will. This usually only happens when I'm in line for the lift. As soon as I start moving it clears. I need to put a coating on my glasses and see if that helps.

Vertigo? I got a good dose if that skiing with @Tricia and @AKMINK the other day. Wind was blowing snow across the slope. I got a touch on the hill, but as we drive down the hill it was a full time job to keep breakfast down. Worst I've had though I do get it skiing in soup too. I try and avoid those days.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I tend to dis-orient if I focus too much only on moguls and not including surrounding trees or landscape. Then like flight 19 over the Burmuda Triangle, I go down.

Some exercises help with balance that may avert that foggy feeling, I hear Yoga folk have great feel for balance. Slack lining is something I once tried but I proved to myself my own lack of natural skills and further lack of improvement.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The fog...and foggy goggles is now making me nauseous and ruining ski days. Suggestions?

So I'm now 52 and it looks like I now get nauseous every time visibility gets bad due to fog and / or goggle issues. I enjoy skiing too much to have this ruin days like this. Anyone else suffer from this? Did you find a medicine that works? I'm guess a motion sickness medicine?

This is happening quite regularly so I am going to have to do something about this if I'm going to stick with something I love...when it's not making me feel bad! :(
I have lived with sinus/allergy issues most of my life.
A few years ago it developed in my ear causing a serious headache and vision issues, which sent me to the hospital. Which later brought on some vertigo issues in flat light or high winds.
They prescribed Meclizine, which I now keep in my boot bag and take as a precaution on low light days.
I get it at Costco for less than 5.00/bottle. (this is the active ingredient in most motion sickness meds, but is a little stronger strength in this form)
Looks like this.

If you're in a pinch, you can take Bonine

DocGKR

Stuck at work...
Skier
"The older I get the more flat light and fog affects me. I think maybe some kind of contrast vision is being lost as I age."

Very much this.

In addition, I am still suffering the after effects of basilar skull fracture induced vertigo sustained in a bicycle accident a few years ago--luckily I get a bit of relief using Ondansetron and Meclizine.

blackke17

I'd rather be at Alta
Skier
vertigo is no joke, ive been hit with it at Alta and Snowbird in the past .

I also own some Abom goggles that really do work well on the fogging issues

TS
T

TimothyD11

Booting up
Skier
OP here. I took Dramamine the third and final day at Schweitzer and it seemed to help with not getting dizziness issues that would upset my stomach but it wasn't a conclusive test because it wasn't a very bad fog day...but my gut feeling is it's going to help.

By the way, see ski sickness or Hausler's disease. Nobody mentioned it but it seems like it's a thing and what I am starting to suffer from if not nipped in the bud.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
This is @Philpug at Mt. Rose two years ago. He is actually downhill from me. I believe we called it a day when we finally found the bottom of the hill. I noticed this year I seem to be more susceptible to the adverse effects of vertigo.
20171120_092741.jpg

20190120_084602.jpg

I think I turned around and went home on this day.