• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Analisa

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I'm super stoked he's at Rainier for the Fuhrer Finger! That line has been #goals since I picked up a touring setup. Too bad we've got a July snowpack going right now - usually this time of year, you can link the Finger to the Nisqually glacier to the Nisqually bridge for 10,400ft of descent - getting close to inbound ski vert at that point.

Attachments

• InkedCapture_LI.jpg
    InkedCapture_LI.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 12

Analisa

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Doesn't that reinforce the tech issue? When he's on the Shift, it's more movie like skiing. (Mt Superior)

Superior's also a super short tour (by a 50 classic standpoint). 3000 vert, <6 miles, no glacier gear, no overnight gear, so legs are a ton fresher than most of the lines on his list. Plus, conditions are more likely to be consistent top to bottom with a line that short, vs. an 8k descent that varies from bulletproof ice at the top, corn in the middle, and sticky mashed potatoes at the bottom. Superior's south face is steep, but it's wide open, no cliff exposure, crevasses, fumeroles, tight couloir walls, etc. Basically, he brought a ski he could rail on for a line he can rail on. For lines where he can't, it makes sense to bring a setup that's lighter, but still fairly capable.

As a climber-turned-skier dating a skier-turned-climber, I believe skiing & ski mountaineering are pretty different, even if they share a few requisite skills, and thus the approach and the tools for the job are a little different too. Makes it even more impressive that Cody's out to be the first to ski the Fifty. Downright wild that the same guy who pounds out the 15 second line from Days of Our Youth will make history again with routes like an 85 mile/30k gain/10 day traverse from the Bugs to Rogers Pass. That's like medalling in the Olympics for both the 100m sprint and the marathon.

TS
jmeb

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
I am really stoked for the next episode to drop. Probably a bit different in tone than we've seen so far in this series. Had good fortune of skiing with the young man in it this spring. Was pretty stunned with him.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
He's back with the Middle Teton!

Just watched it. Made it look easy (even though I know its not) compared to some of the others. I'd be pretty stoked with that final bowl :)

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I am really stoked for the next episode to drop. Probably a bit different in tone than we've seen so far in this series. Had good fortune of skiing with the young man in it this spring. Was pretty stunned with him.
aha, I just watched it, and now I get what you mean. Super cool.

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
After seeing this thread I watched the first 13 episodes. I'm glad he's spending so much time showing the uphill parts. I knew it can be hard but I don't think I fully appreciated it. The climb to the Landry Line is pretty scary at times.

I hope he's able to ski all 50. That would be quite the achievement.

slow-line-fast

Out on the slopes
Inactive
I recently discovered this series. I find it absolutely fantastic. A really nice inside view of touring.

James

Out There
Instructor
Long interview with Cody. Easier to read than listen to the ads and promos for the podcast.

———————
Why is he documenting his most recent project, “The Fifty”?

Through this process, I wanted to be open… I wanted to show people this process of learning in the mountains, this process of learning ski mountaineering, and being honest with yourself and being open and vulnerable and just laying it all on the line. I put out episodes where we fail over and over. I put out an episode that shows me make a dumb decision and get heat stroke in the desert so that others can kind of learn from it. I don’t have the need to preserve my own image as a superhero. I’d rather put my image out as a normal human than anything else.
——————

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The new season of the Fifty started last week with line #44 of 50. He’s closing in on completing the project. A long but great episode on the Split Couloir.

Lane Myer

Putting on skis
Skier
The new season of the Fifty started last week with line #44 of 50. He’s closing in on completing the project. A long but great episode on the Split Couloir.
I know next to nothing about ski mountaineering but I thought that was the best episode yet by far from a pure storytelling perspective. That seems to be the consensus over at TGR too.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Watched it last night. I really like that they give a taste of what it really takes to turn around multiple times & the patience to finally reach the objective. Seems like only yesterday that Kip Garre & Allison Kreutzen died on this same line.

Sponsor

Staff online