• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'll throw down on both of you, come ski the North Island of NZ in July and experience the worst a completely exposed volcano can offer :) ....wind-driven shotgun blasts of ice being scoured off ridges and wet snow - hood + balaclava minimum

You make it sound so enticing!

NZRob

Skiing the Rock
Skier
You make it sound so enticing!

LOL....yeh well there is a good reason my family calls the mountain a demanding mistress. It can be absolutely magnificent (spring is the best in the world - in my humble opinion), but it can be the absolute worst too. Here's a common mid-winter rime ice build up after a typically brutal storm.

upload_2019-4-3_13-43-0.jpeg

Laurel Hill Crazie

AKA Rob Davis
Skier
To each their own. Rain skiing in a closed-vent helmet is far preferable to a hood.

Balaclava or not.

How do you keep the rain from rolling down your neck and soaking your torso? The last time I skied in a rain shower with a closed vent helmet and no hood I got soaked because I couldn't keep my upturned jacket collar inside my helmet. That jacket had a detachable hood that I kept in my boot bag. My new jacket has a fixed hood.

Sponsor

Staff online