• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I have been contemplating this for a while but kept forgetting to make a thread to ask.

What are some bits of gear that you have purchased specifically because they had some "feature" that you thought that you could not live without, only to find out that you never actually use or needed that feature in the first place.

My example? My Lange XT 130 boots, bought them instead of the RS version because the XT had a walk mode. Now, except for playing around with the walk mode toggle, I have not actually used the walk mode in the two years I've owned the boots.

sinbad7

Getting on the lift
Skier
I never bother taking an extra lens for my Smith I/O goggles. I choose one for the day and live with it until I come down. That tends to mean the blackout lens gets no use, as they'd be like a blast shield once the sun goes down.

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
My kids got me a GOPRO camera. I attached a mount for it on my helmet. The camera never produces the great eye-popping videos I see from other people. Perhaps I need to actually remove it from the ski bag and turn it on?

socalgal

Making fresh tracks
Skier
My kids got me a GOPRO camera. I attached a mount for it on my helmet. The camera never produces the great eye-popping videos I see from other people. Perhaps I need to actually remove it from the ski bag and turn it on?
I'll second this. I bought a gopro a few years back from a costco sale, and though I have used it a handful of times, this past season I couldn't be bothered to get it out.

Anyone interested? All reasonable offers accepted;)

Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor
Easy goggle lens switching.
I bought a Scott LCG google recently. The lens is very easy to switch. Ironically, I've switched the lens in my old Oakley Canopy which is not easy, at least 5x as much.

I had bought a Smith I/O magnet back in Oct but it broke the first time I changed the lens, with the tag still on it. That got returned.

I'm not a big fan of the Scott. When it came out I really wanted it. The view however is very constricted on the top and side. That's compared to the Oakley Canopy. If you go try one, bring your helmet because that's where it lines up on your face.

asnowmobiler

Advanced Beginner
Skier
LEKI poles with the trigger grip, just feel odd. I don’t use their gloves, just the straps that go onto existing ones, maybe using their gloves would be better but I’m not replacing my perfectly good gloves.

NZRob

Skiing the Rock
Skier

You are not alone....there is a good reason second hand GoPro's are so cheap!

ARL67

Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Walk mode on boots.

Laurel Hill Crazie

AKA Rob Davis
Skier
I bought a pair of Ess bindings because you could move the whole binding back or forward on the ski. I wanted to find my sweet spot. It turned out to be centered in the middle.

I also bought a pair of Lange XTs for the walk mode. I forgot all about it but one day I remembered and toggled to walk mode then forgot that I had switch them to walk and went out for a run. It took me several runs to figure out why I was having such a hard time staying centered on my skis. I have since forgot about walk mode because I'm sure I'll again forget to toggle back to ski.

eok

Slopefossil
Skier
Insulated bib pants. Bought 'em. Used 'em once. Great bib pants (Vertika), but overkill for 99% of the conditions I ski. Even skiing in low teens temps they were way too warm. Non-insulated bib *shell* pants were a better choice for me.

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
My back pack has way too many straps, loops and strings. I bought it for it's size and the ability to hold skis.

eok. Tell me more about those non-insulated shell bibs! I don't go insulated well... I run warm.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
The last half dozen ski jackets that i have owned all came with hoods that I never use. One of the reasons I recently purchased ski jacket was because it has a removable hood that is now collecting dust in a closet. At least it won't collect snow on a powder day.

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Adjustable ski poles. I was told by several instructors to get them, so I did. Then one day one was shorter than the other and I couldn’t readjust it. So now I use a pair of bamboo “Soul Poles” that predate the adjustable ones. I enjoy the simplicity of the Soul Poles.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The last half dozen ski jackets that i have owned all came with hoods that I never use. One of the reasons I recently purchased ski jacket was because it has a removable hood that is now collecting dust in a closet. At least it won't collect snow on a powder day.

QFT!

To each their own, but I really HATE hoods, and it's darn hard these days to find many parka options with removable hoods (or none, period).

Oh well, makes shopping simple. Almost as easy as figuring out which AWD minivan to buy.......

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Ski wise I think I use everything. Boot Walk mode, yes, adjustability in poles, yes, Goggle lenses (2) yes, Hoods, oh yeah (in all layers sometimes)... Beacon, yes, beacon check every outing, Probe, yes, to probe snow depths, shovel, yes to at least make a pit and or a bench in the snow for having lunch :D Cant think of anything I dont use.

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Walk mode e cept when I was touring. I actually do now change lenses on occasion. Powder cords a PITA. pass holder. Cat trax also a PITA.

Sponsor