• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

The dreaded traverse

Bolder

Out on the slopes
Skier
My kids take the gnarliest traverses w/out a second thought. when I see a bumpy off camber traverse at age 52, my knees do a little groan. Anyway, I do skid a little bit with tips pointing uphill on the backside of a bump if I need to slow down. I also try to look ahead a bit -- seems to make absorption easier. Rule #1 is carry enough speed so you don't have to herringbone/sidestep...

pliny the elder

Industry Insider
Skier
You mean like this?

9AE94193-1892-4953-B8D1-FCCE7F62172D.jpeg

TS
Wasatchman

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
That looks like a slog and scary at the same time ;). Yeah, that would be it alright. That one counts!

The traverses that I'm referring to are narrow where you really can't go uphill because either rocks, etc or cut too deep in steep hillside but also where downhill on the traverse can be high consequence- trees, cliff, very steep, etc.

The earlier portion of that traverse before where that rock is jutting out and getting past that rock would fit the bill ;). Then for good measure extra spice can be added when you have some big rollers in those conditions on a packed down traverse that's skiing pretty fast and the odd rock poking out on the traverse as well. Edit: hard to tell from photo but getting around that rock looks real spicy for sure. How long did it take to navigate around that rock?

I'm in awe to people who could get used to that without feeling scared. Just don't think I could ever get to that point where I'm like ho hum, just another traverse with some gnar and spice to it. I think gnarly traverses scare me more than anything other than perhaps a line with a big mandatory air - except I wouldn't be on that line in the first place.

I try and avoid real ugly traverses. I have decided I don't want to ski no fall zone terrain and man enough to admit I probably shouldn't be doing so as nobody is going to mistake me for a real big mountain skier. But what can and has happened is those real gnarly traverse conditions can start to unexpectedly happen after you've already committed to the traverse. Then no choice but to do it.

Edit: so were you scared on that traverse or is that just another day in the mountains?

Last edited:

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
It's funny what causes some people grief and not others.I love traverses..but other things I don't like. Maybe just experience or tools that you may have that work for certain situations.. Interesting.

James

Out There
Instructor
2668BDDD-662F-467A-9977-DFCD57F1F61E.jpeg

Traverses like that are why they have poles with the extended foam rubber on the shaft below the hand grip. There’s a pole sold in Chamonix that just has a colored grip the whole way down to maybe 18” above the tip.

Skisailor

Laziest Skier on the Mountain
Skier
As a long time Alta skier (Another Long Traverse Ahead), I have some strategies. Relaxed lower body so ready to absorb the woop-de-doos. Upper body and hands held in position as if I am going to turn downhill. Eyes far ahead so I can anticipate the terrain. Scrub excess speed with very slight skids/turns uphill. Breathe.

Like all ofthese points! Also important to visualize that it’s best to ride the outside edge of the traverse. That way you are free to scrub speed with a little check turn by wagging the ski tails off the edge of the traverse without the ski tips hanging up. Sometimes I also do what looks like a forward sideslip along the outside edge of the traverse - ski tails are off the edge, in the air. If there are whoop de doos or rocks or other reasons to go slow, I never simply put my skis in the track and hope I can absorb all the shocks.

Prosper

This is the way.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Another tip that I've received if you want to keep your speed up on a flatter, slightly wider traverse is to start on the uphill side of the traverse and point your ski tips slightly toward the downhill side of the traverse. Ride down and slightly across the traverse as long as gravity and the width of the traverse will allow. Then start side stepping back to the uphill side while still moving, kind of like doing a mini-thousand steps drill. Use gravity to your advantage.

James

Out There
Instructor
You step uphill with a converging ski. (Half a wedge). After you step, you ride that converging ski down, then repeat. It only works if there’s room, but that’s how people can do a slight uphill traverse faster than normal.
Learned it in the DesLaurier book.

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
Another technique is to ride the uphill (outside) edge of the uphill ski while skating with only the downhill ski to keep the momentum going. Useful for narrow traverse tracks that don't allow a full 2-ski skating gait.

Snowfan

aka Eric Nelson
Skier
To scrub speed I throw the tails downhill on the high spots without getting the tips into the uphill. If its fast gotta scrub everywhere possible.

pliny the elder

Industry Insider
Skier
I understand that the thread is about skiing across exposed traverses, this traverse would be less scary if you could keep your skis on. It is a well known crux spot and people routinely turn back after climbing quite a ways to get there. But if you want the descent, which is 5200' vertical, you have to earn it in this case.

Attachments

• 3777441B-8D8D-485F-A3F3-C75F8E92271E.jpeg
    3777441B-8D8D-485F-A3F3-C75F8E92271E.jpeg
    221.3 KB · Views: 47
  • F5A39DC2-C441-4067-A893-D5BDFF98139F.jpeg
    F5A39DC2-C441-4067-A893-D5BDFF98139F.jpeg
    148.6 KB · Views: 44
  • 1C33F208-EA25-4840-828A-348C2F536CA5.jpeg
    1C33F208-EA25-4840-828A-348C2F536CA5.jpeg
    210.4 KB · Views: 45

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
A few techniques that help: Never stop on the traverse and always be aware if people behind you can see you. Don't follow too closely. If another skier is too close/out of control behind you, pull over above traverse to avoid them.

Use bumps and pump to control speed. Find the smooth spots and link them together. Absorb/pivot and make shallow turns down the back of a roller to slow down when needed. Stop by going up hill above the traverse, also aids in starting again.

Pole "parking brake" also can help if you have to stop on a traverse. The only reasons you should stop on the traverse is if some one is stopped ahead of you preventing further progress. And if you are smart you will step uphill off the traverse.

But if you need to stop on a slope and cannot put skis across the slope. 1. Plant poles lightly between legs. 2. Angle poles outward so that poles touch the boots. 3. Pull back on pole handles. 4. Pole tips wedge into slope and act as a parking brake. Works both as a forward or backward brake if you need to stop on a slope and have nowhere to go. Also Very helpful in steeper lift lines.

If the traverse is truly that harry, 1 foot wide between a cliff and a rock wall, consider boot packing it. But for the love of all that is holy do not boot pack on the traverse.
I don't have eyes in the back of my head. I am always appreciative of those who are going to pass me on a traverse, let me KNOW they are passing me.

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@AmyPJ usually I can sense if someone is behind me on a traverse. Passing is one of those things that is a feel thing and totally situational. Usually I let people know I am there by clacking my poles. People can be unpredictable. Sometimes calling out "on your left" makes them look left and move left. If I do pass it usually on the uphill side.

Every traverse is different. Some loose significant elevation and are fast and wild. Some are rolling where conserving momentum really saves you later. Other are flat or gain elevation and involve skating/poling. Others are steep enough it's more side stepping and are tests of aerobic fitness. Some are just annoying, others nasty.

I always detest the traverse out more than the traverse in. The bottom road of FTS always lives up to its name in my book.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Traverses, like all sking, are about going there. Most conflict on traverses happen when someone doesn't want to go there and many others do.

Pithy!

And ... It also helps explain, if not excuse, the exasperation of the people many of us are complaining about. ("Are you doing this thing or not?")

Last edited:

jmills115

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Do look as far ahead as possible to see what is coming at you.

Don't look at the track right in front of your ski tips.
Don't look at the back of the skier ahead of you.

It gets easier on the second trip ;-)
With Backside opening yesterday after a couple smaller storms (10” or so), the poor visibility kept it nice for every lap I took.
@CalG is correct in his post and what I try to do when able to see :)
It was easier the 2nd trip but not so much on #7 with it being a wild ride

207180CA-509B-4A5C-B48F-82788CD6F036.jpeg

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Pithy!

And ... It also helps explain, if not excuse, the exasperation of the people many of us are complaining about. ("Are you doing this thing or not?")
I think forbearance and patience cut both ways and this is the perfect example of how that works.

The traverse that to the newbie is full of objective hazards which need to be carefully avoided, for the local ski bum it's just another day at the office. And the newbie himself represents the true objective danger in the slope by his seemingly unpredictable and overly cautious approach. So who is putting up with who and who needs to be patient in this situation?

Which is why I think giving people room if they have a different approach to the terrain so so important on traverses.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Like some of the "glades" at Sugarbush that are really 6 foot wide 20 degree chutes. I almost hate my kid when he skies down those without a care in the world.

Or Alta with a bit of altitude dehydration and the guy in front says "don't fall here.," then you look down.

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
At Kirkwood we have such deeply rutted speed tracks on powder days out towards the Palisades. I never run such ruts at full speed but rather vector off out of ruts where possible to shed speed.

Traversing as high as possible without losing altitude is a key skill on fresh powder days as that can mean reaching untracked zones that are otherwise fully blocked just a bit lower by trees and rock bands. Traverse too level and one slows that can get bogged down so one learns how to keep just enough speed to maintain movement. As a light person that doesn't bog down easily, I've often been the one breaking first tracks out to untracked zones where heavier skiers are then able to reach.

Sponsor

Staff online