• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

The downside to moving west?

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I hate cities; I hate the East coast. So, Phoenix does alright for me. There is a lot of open space that is easily accessible. San Juans are 7ish hours away and there are plenty of good Oaxacan and Sonoran hole in the walls around. Now if we could have some sort of "Day After Tomorrow" glacial period, we would be set.

You had me at "I hate cities".

When my wife and I successfully escaped Portland OR 16 years ago for Hood River we told ourselves "now, accept that you're going to miss the big city more than you think". To quote Ron White: We were wrong!

Also, the East Coast/West Coast/wherever food thing cracks me up. A highly regarded chef friend of mine says good food of nearly every kind is available everywhere in this country. He contends that as we age (and often move around a bit) we get lazier about seeking out new things, always reverting to the bucolic memories of our youth.

For example, my favorite pizza from anywhere on the globe is a dumpy little place in St. Paul MN called Red Savoy's. I'm sure there is equal or better pizza in many places, but not to me, and I don't miss many chances to sample pizza. Dang it, now I can hardly wait to get back there!

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
You had me at "I hate cities".

When my wife and I successfully escaped Portland OR 16 years ago for Hood River we told ourselves "now, accept that you're going to miss the big city more than you think". To quote Ron White: We were wrong!
Hood River is indeed a cool place, it's usually on my list of places I could see myself relocating to, or retiring to. Indeed, it even has the ubiquitous food truck alley. And a brewery. That said, it's an hour drive to Portland, so not like it's that far away from "the city". You can easily attend events, concerts, major medical centers, etc. I think there are a lot of East Coasters who would describe where they live as in a city, who have a longer commute to get to an airport.

Plus, you're right across the bridge from the metropolis that is White Salmon/Bingen. ;)

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Been thinking about retiring to Bozeman. I imagine (?) that it's cheaper there than Breck ...
Experience Bridger for the first time last year. Apparently I miss the memo that said people from the Midwest retire there. Also had a good ride up on a chair with someone you got a condo in 2008 time, now days can't even come close to purchasing one. :) Better find a deal now, if there is such a thing or hope people want to leave in droves to get a good deal.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Hood River is indeed a cool place, it's usually on my list of places I could see myself relocating to, or retiring to. Indeed, it even has the ubiquitous food truck alley. And a brewery. That said, it's an hour drive to Portland, so not like it's that far away from "the city". You can easily attend events, concerts, major medical centers, etc. I think there are a lot of East Coasters who would describe where they live as in a city, who have a longer commute to get to an airport.

Plus, you're right across the bridge from the metropolis that is White Salmon/Bingen. ;)
An hour or so away from a fairly major city is one of my main location criteria, particularly being single and heading towards being older.

TexasStout

Epic Pass + Loveland 4-pack for 2021-2022
Skier
Exactly^ why I like Santa Rosa (~1hr to San Francisco/bay area) and Truckee (~40 min to Reno/~1hr to Sacramento).
I like Santa Rosa because it is home to Russian River Brewing. Hope to get back there sometime soon.

Last edited:

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
But...
Hood River is on the Columbia River, in the Columbia River Gorge, and an epicenter for windsurfing and related sports. It's 45 minutes from Mt Hood Meadows, Timberline is 10 minutes further and has skiing nearly year round.

Hood River is also near where the crest of the Cascades would be (if not for the Columbia River, which by the way is one of the few in NA, if not the world, that completely breaches a major mountain range). To the west are the dense conifers that characterizes mountains on the west of the Cascades; to the east is semi-arid farmland and rangeland. It's got the big trees and at the same time the nice dry weather from E WA and E OR. It's about halfway between two volcanoes (Mt Adams and Mt Hood). Really a unique spot.

Last edited:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I am not a fan of cities at this point either. To me if it is big enough for a major sports franchise, it is too big. I love Reno, the longer we are here, the more we like it. We like where we live, close enough to everything we need.

3 hours:
SF (6 hours with traffic)
Mammoth
2 hours:
Kirkwood
Sacramento (Ikea)
1 hour:
Lake Tahoe
Heavenly
45 min:
Alpine Meadows
Squaw
Sugarbowl
Mt. Rose
Northstar
30 min:
Apple Store
True NY Pizza
15 min & less:
Airport
Mexican Food
Grocery shopping
Costco
Sam's Club
1 min:
Hot Tub
Open Bar

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
I am not a fan of cities at this point either. To me if it is big enough for a major sports franchise, it is too big. I love Reno, the longer we are here, the more we like it. We like where we live, close enough to everything we need.

3 hours:
SF (6 hours with traffic)
Mammoth
2 hours:
Kirkwood
Sacramento (Ikea)
1 hour:
Lake Tahoe
Heavenly
45 min:
Alpine Meadows
Squaw
Sugarbowl
Mt. Rose
Northstar
30 min:
Apple Store
True NY Pizza
15 min & less:
Airport
Mexican Food
Grocery shopping
Costco
Sam's Club
1 min:
Hot Tub
Open Bar

That's pretty damn impressive list! Sounds like you have it "dialed in!"
And no income tax, correct? I presume you pay CA state tax if you work across the border.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
That's pretty damn impressive list! Sounds like you have it "dialed in!"
And no income tax, correct? I presume you pay CA state tax if you work across the border.
EXACTLY. When we chose Reno over Truckee, it was the 30% plus difference in cost of living. Yes, we pay Calif taxes when we work there but the site is registered in Nevada. THIS house just came up for sale in our neighborhood, same floorplan as ours but less upgrades and a lot that isn't quite as big, but for the price, a great value, I do't see it being on the market for more than a week or so and should go for at or above asking price.

Sponsor

Staff online