• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

The downside to moving west?

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I was also thinking proximity of fund managers but for them Deer Valley might be similar.

Read Blinn

lakespapa
Inactive
Interesting that Stowe's season pass price is higher than Deer Valley's...at least comparing the early season rate.

My Mount Sunapee pass is $1269 currently (I bought last spring for under a thousand). That's for unlimited skiing at Sunapee (233 acres) and non-holiday Okemo (667 acres).

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My Mount Sunapee pass is $1269 currently (I bought last spring for under a thousand). That's for unlimited skiing at Sunapee (233 acres) and non-holiday Okemo (667 acres).
Then consider this in terms of a west vs. east...early season pass rates: Alta $1,000, Snowbird $1,000, Altabird $1,400

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The west also does not have the snowmaking costs they have in the east. Snow is not cheap when you have to make it.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The west also does not have the snowmaking costs they have in the east. Snow is not cheap when you have to make it.
I prefer my snow cheap, tawdry and free of morals.

We're talking double lifetime supply of Rite-Aid rouge good for a week cheap.

Last edited:

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Day ticket prices in the PNW is still in the $60-70 range ($50 at smaller ski areas). Season passes at $500 at Stevens, $650 at Baker, Crystal (I think) around $700 for early purchasers, $1200 after 10/1.

Limited to no snow snowmaking. Baker is family owned and has all fixed grip quad chairs. Crystal is a Boyne resort and has mostly HSQ's and a gondi, plus two very strategically placed newer fixed grip chairs serving advanced/expert terrain.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Day ticket prices in the PNW is still in the $60-70 range ($50 at smaller ski areas). Season passes at $500 at Stevens, $650 at Baker, Crystal (I think) around $700 for early purchasers, $1200 after 10/1.

Limited to no snow snowmaking. Baker is family owned and has all fixed grip quad chairs. Crystal is a Boyne resort and has mostly HSQ's and a gondi, plus two very strategically placed newer fixed grip chairs serving advanced/expert terrain.
Drove past ski resort infrastructure to and from Suncadia last fall. Would love to run through there in the winter.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier

Hrm, maybe, but here in Colorado, water rights restrict many resorts' ability to blow snow. They have to be strategic and take chances. It's not cheap here, either, just less necessary.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Drove past ski resort infrastructure to and from Suncadia last fall. Would love to run through there in the winter.
If you were on I-90, then what you saw were three small areas of the Summit at Snoqualmie, with mild terrain and a whopping 1000' vertical. However, the north of the freeway at the westermost exit is Alpental, which you can't see from the freeway, and that has some awesome terrain and 2200' vert for a small area.

Nonetheless, if you're ever in town for a ski visit, Crystal would be your first priority, then maybe Stevens or Baker. Although King Grump likes Alpental a lot, too. Regardless, I'd be happy to guide.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If you were on I-90, then what you saw were three small areas of the Summit at Snoqualmie, with mild terrain and a whopping 1000' vertical. However, the north of the freeway at the westermost exit is Alpental, which you can't see from the freeway, and that has some awesome terrain and 2200' vert for a small area.

Nonetheless, if you're ever in town for a ski visit, Crystal would be your first priority, then maybe Stevens or Baker. Although King Grump likes Alpental a lot, too. Regardless, I'd be happy to guide.
I'll for sure take you up if I move through. Thought I saw trailage for Alpental, but it could have been natural.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
image.jpg

This thread inspired a trip to our favorite Tahoe pizza place. It took a long time for @Philpug to find a place that met his approval

Last edited:

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Fries and Pies. This just clicked for me. There was a boardwalk stand in Old Orchard Beach that offered a Pie and Fries special. Nothing like some grease soaked fried potatoes to help lubricate the esophagus for delivery of a dripping with hot cheese pizza pie. I think it was sponsored by the local heart surgeon.

TexasStout

Epic Pass + Loveland 4-pack for 2021-2022
Skier
The "west" on this forum seems to be CO or Tahoe. I get ridiculed for living where I do but I honestly consider AZ to be one of the best places in the west. I am 2 hrs from skiing, 5 hrs from ocean and very close to some of the most scenic, unspoiled and beautiful places on planet earth. Plus, I don't have to freeze my balls off every winter unless I want to. The west to me is being able to pick your happiness and we get to do it here and we can actually afford it without having to live in a van.
Most pleasant place I've ever ridden my bike in January was in Tucson. Incredible weather and scenery. Don't know if I'd ever want to spend a summer there though.

Spooky

Getting off the lift
Skier
The "west" on this forum seems to be CO or Tahoe. I get ridiculed for living where I do but I honestly consider AZ to be one of the best places in the west. I am 2 hrs from skiing, 5 hrs from ocean and very close to some of the most scenic, unspoiled and beautiful places on planet earth. Plus, I don't have to freeze my balls off every winter unless I want to. The west to me is being able to pick your happiness and we get to do it here and we can actually afford it without having to live in a van.

I hate cities; I hate the East coast. So, Phoenix does alright for me. There is a lot of open space that is easily accessible. San Juans are 7ish hours away and there are plenty of good Oaxacan and Sonoran hole in the walls around. Now if we could have some sort of "Day After Tomorrow" glacial period, we would be set.

Sponsor

Staff online