• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Bill, the Brindle Basenji is really funny little fart and it's hard at times to get a photo.

He's the only dog I know who doesn't want a photo taken. He recognizes it when one picks up their cell phone and starts to aim it. He just stops whatever he's doing and often looks away.

I know a few folks like that ... very frustrating.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Bill, the Brindle Basenji is really funny little fart and it's hard at times to get a photo.

He's the only dog I know who doesn't want a photo taken. He recognizes it when one picks up their cell phone and starts to aim it. He just stops whatever he's doing and often looks away.

I know a few folks like that ... very frustrating.
Gypsy does that too. I almost have to trick her to get a good shot.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Yes on the shelter process but it varies to much between em. I know many shelters try to evaluate and then write up a dogs history, others do little to nothing. I don't know if this is driven by volume, legal reasons, other.

Before I got Cooper, I had been watching some Dog Whisperer shows. Say what you want about him, he had a great episode on how to pick a dog at the shelter. Armed with that, I took a few dogs on walks. Cooper (or Copper, as he was then called) was much better behaved than other dogs. He didn't pull much. He seemed friendly and receptive to feedback. He was 10 months old, spent two of those in the shelter system, and was just an easy, easy dog. Everyone he met thought he was special, unique, "boy you got lucky." My parents and in-laws just adored him, even though my MIL was actually scared of dogs.

I picked Loki based on a picture I saw online, five days after my cat died. I was desperate for another ball of fur and wanted a high energy ball of fur. Loki also had kennel cough when I got him (this was fully disclosed; he was quarantined, which is why I didn't find him when I looked around, and probably why he hadn't already been adopted). So he was probably not as rambunctious as he normally would be. I love Loki dearly and he does not have terrible manners, but it wouldn't be hard to draw a line between my approach and the outcome. (He also suffered from second child syndrome - it's just a lot harder to work with two dogs.)

Two data points aren't much to work with, but I think taking a dog for a walk can tell you a lot about its temperament.

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
My camera’s firmware just updated to include “animal eye detection”. Decided to play with it a bit this weekend.

528D89E4-9675-415B-9EE9-391BB302055A.jpeg

746CBD6F-4928-488D-A4E5-E92FA11742BC.jpeg

2D6DC6A7-73F5-4EF4-93A7-8DBB5A601BDE.jpeg

2248C476-9302-4A9A-8F09-8A0B7B2F88E0.jpeg

And of course a “reality” photo:

7D30AEAC-F299-49E9-8695-D680ABE8F5F2.jpeg

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier

RobSN

Out on the slopes
Skier
^^^ Clever decoy move by the both of them when in fact they are clearly coiled springs, ready to launch into action at moment's notice to defend home and hearth - and probably also truth, justice, and the American way.

JeffB

ODAT
Skier
^^^ Clever decoy move by the both of them when in fact they are clearly coiled springs, ready to launch into action at moment's notice to defend home and hearth - and probably also truth, justice, and the American way.
If I were to drop a donut in the middle, all Hell would break loose. Fortunately, I like donuts too much to drop one.

JeffB

ODAT
Skier
My money is on Experience over Youth. And I'm willing to sacrifice your donut to find out.
Saturday is donut day. I’ll see about causing a scene for entertainment purposes if Mrs JeffB is away - when she’s home during intentional floor scratching events, I get in trouble.