• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@Tricia

Sorry to hear, reading your stories on him and reading of his passing makes my eyes watery. I love dogs, guess one reason they exist it to keep us human and care for those in our lives.
Yeah, I've gotten teary eyed several times while digging up photos of him. That's kind of why I am glad you posted that pic.
As I said back in post #1,434 , Otis saved me and this walk down memory lane has been good and soulful.

Funny, it started by talking about dog training. Its turned into the good bits that the training offered me through bonding.

I'm really excited to start training with Gypsy.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
sorry @Tricia, my question should have been "how old was he when full grown?"

Sent image links to my daughter who was amazed too at how much they resemble one another and wondered if her pooch may hit the 105 mark.
He was about 2 before he was really filled out.
As I stated in the previous post, he grew up living on a section in the country with a lot of activity. When he was young, he loved to chase Terry on a quad or dirt bike. He'd run for miles if you let him. He spent a lot of time on job sites, which was often farm land with a variety of farm animals.

One of our regular visitors for ski season is a farmer from that area. He would often give me Otis updates when he visited. Once he shared a photo on his phone of Otis sitting in the front seat of the dump truck when Terry delivered some sand to the farm. I have no idea how he got that big dog up into the dump truck.
That's a picture I haven't been able to find.

JeffB

ODAT
Skier
Gassed after an afternoon at the park
BB825749-22FB-49AA-86AC-9CDE22AE9C57.jpeg

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Gassed after a hike.

IMG_20200617_143737.jpg

socalgal

Making fresh tracks
Skier
20200616_151503.jpg

Two old men. Max, our BFGD (big friendly giant dog), on the left is 9; Jack on the right is 14.

We had to take Max in last week for an emergency surgery. His biopsy just came back today-- malignant melanoma :(. Hopefully nothing grows back at the site. But we will just watch and see, and help him to live a comfortable life.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
View attachment 104654

Two old men. Max, our BFGD (big friendly giant dog), on the left is 9; Jack on the right is 14.

We had to take Max in last week for an emergency surgery. His biopsy just came back today-- malignant melanoma :(. Hopefully nothing grows back at the site. But we will just watch and see, and help him to live a comfortable life.

Best wishes for Max's comfort and happiness to last as long as possible.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Is this a flat coated retriever? Looks very much like my Corrie.

Loki is my Rorschach dog. Everyone sees him a little bit differently.

IIRC, according to genetic testing (which I only sort of believe), he's part golden retriever, part Maltese, part unknown. I don't remember the exact breakdown. But I've had people ask if he's flat coated retriever before. He's just shy of 60 pounds. His tail is about half length, and that's natural - not docked. His behavior tends toward herding - his attitude is more cattle dog than retriever, in my opinion.

I don't know what his genetic makeup is, but he's all trouble!

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier

Mel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
What is it about retrievers and shoes?! Our guy never chews them, and never retrieves anything else, but I guess shoes are his “love language”. When we have people over he spends the whole time trying to bring them shoes. Theirs, ours, whatever.
FC9F5767-DE56-4923-8576-6A163C748117.jpeg

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
What is it about retrievers and shoes?! Our guy never chews them, and never retrieves anything else, but I guess shoes are his “love language”. When we have people over he spends the whole time trying to bring them shoes. Theirs, ours, whatever.
View attachment 105006

They smell intensely of the person who wears them. That's what I figure.

Reactions: Mel

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
View attachment 105006
I

I know! Feebee is pretty indiscriminate when she is rearranging shoes. But she will periodically go upstairs into my closet and bring down a hiking shoe. I figure that she is letting me know what is on her mind. If I come downstairs wearing hiking shoes, she goes bonkers. When I am wearing my running shoes, she used to get excited - these days, not so much.

Reactions: Mel

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Our old Golden used to love stuffed animals. When given a new one he would very carefully remove the eyes, but never cause any other damage to them, and he had dozens.

Anybody else had that experience with a dog? Seemed a bit odd, but oh well.

Sponsor

Staff online