• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Corrie having a wee lie down in regular Flat Coated Retriever pose. View attachment 90516

Maybe Loki really is a flat coated retriever ...
IMG_20190705_224906.jpg

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Cody. Rainy Day Dream Away.

that adorable pooch would make a great mop for dusting floors! Bet Cody could do a few floors of hardwood floors :roflmao:

great looking dog, he'd make a good hug pillow too.

Decreed_It

I'd rather be skiing
Skier
that adorable pooch would make a great mop for dusting floors! Bet Cody could do a few floors of hardwood floors :roflmao:

great looking dog, he'd make a good hug pillow too.
Cody, like our previous doodles - we like to call a 70 lb muppet. If only he cleaned floors - they're real good and trashing them coming in all muddy from the soaked back yard, in spite of our towelling efforts :D

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
As dog lovers we all go through it and today’s my turn, again. At 10am this morning, we said goodbye to our sweetheart female black lab mix Comet. She was over 17 years old and as fate or history would have it, we got her from a lab rescue on Valentines Day in 2003. For the 1st time since we built our pool in 2005, when we open it this April she will not be the 1st one to test the water! She had a long, healthy and happy life, but it’s still hard to say goodbye. We loved her just as much as we will miss her.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
As dog lovers we all go through it and today’s my turn, again. At 10am this morning, we said goodbye to our sweetheart female black lab mix Comet. She was over 17 years old and as fate or history would have it, we got her from a lab rescue on Valentines Day in 2003. For the 1st time since we built our pool in 2005, when we open it this April she will not be the 1st one to test the water! She had a long, healthy and happy life, but it’s still hard to say goodbye. We loved her just as much as we will miss her.

My condolences. It sounds like she had a pretty great life.

VickieH

Contrarian
Skier
For the 1st time since we built our pool in 2005, when we open it this April she will not be the 1st one to test the water
Reminds me of Toby's friend Maddie in Maryland --

Maddie was adopted from a Lab rescue. After a short while, the rescue sent someone, unannounced, to their home to do a follow-up check. They asked to see Maddie. The mom said, 'Sure, come on in. Maddie is in the back yard." They went back, saw the pool, saw Maddie and the two boys playing in the pool, turned to the mom and said "don't disturb them; we can tell she is fine", and left.

@Coach13, your home sounds perfect for a water dog. Do you have others?

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Reminds me of Toby's friend Maddie in Maryland --

Maddie was adopted from a Lab rescue. After a short while, the rescue sent someone, unannounced, to their home to do a follow-up check. They asked to see Maddie. The mom said, 'Sure, come on in. Maddie is in the back yard." They went back, saw the pool, saw Maddie and the two boys playing in the pool, turned to the mom and said "don't disturb them; we can tell she is fine", and left.

@Coach13, your home sounds perfect for a water dog. Do you have others?

Not right now but we will, although my son’s 4 yo lab visits often. We had to put our 10 yo male white lab (named Powder) down about a year ago due to intestinal cancer. I’ve had several labs and they were all great so I know we’ll have more when the time is right. Our property is a pretty decent for dogs who love to run and swim. In addition to the pool we have about 2 acres fenced in out back where we can get them exercise or allow them to roam and be assured they are safe. I’m not sure what brought smiles to our faces more, watching the dogs splashing around with our kids in the pool or watching our kids nap on the outdoor furniture each with a lab snuggled next to them.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Sad feeling right now though. I just realized that tonight is the 1st night in over 35 years that I haven’t had a dog in my household.

The last time I didn't have a pet in the house was ... well, actually, not since I was nine, though for a few years I had a cat and no dog. I have been claiming I don't want any pets after Loki - I've never been able to travel freely or, with dogs, even take an impulsive weekend trip. But we'll see.

It's never quite clear to me how dogs handle the absence of a pack member - whether they grieve or are responding to changes or what. Loki seems to be very needy lately, lots of demands for pets and cuddles, but that's started in the last month. I do think it's good for him to have some time as the only pet in the house - he gets all the attention. For some reason, my boyfriend also seems to interact with him a lot more than he used to with both dogs - I even caught him putting his face all up in Loki's fur and talking to him in that way you do - something that he would have 100% thought was crazy/gross when we first got together.

And BF may now be Loki's favorite, as he's much more of a softie when it comes to getting a share of the meal. Sorry for the blur here; I enjoy the demonstration of ears fully docked to ears fully deployed. Those ears are what brought me to the shelter to meet him in the first place. I don't remember why it's in this sequence; maybe the last picture is part of a second treat.

LokiSeries2.jpg

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The last time I didn't have a pet in the house was ... well, actually, not since I was nine, though for a few years I had a cat and no dog. I have been claiming I don't want any pets after Loki - I've never been able to travel freely or, with dogs, even take an impulsive weekend trip. But we'll see.

It's never quite clear to me how dogs handle the absence of a pack member - whether they grieve or are responding to changes or what. Loki seems to be very needy lately, lots of demands for pets and cuddles, but that's started in the last month. I do think it's good for him to have some time as the only pet in the house - he gets all the attention. For some reason, my boyfriend also seems to interact with him a lot more than he used to with both dogs - I even caught him putting his face all up in Loki's fur and talking to him in that way you do - something that he would have 100% thought was crazy/gross when we first got together.

And BF may now be Loki's favorite, as he's much more of a softie when it comes to getting a share of the meal. Sorry for the blur here; I enjoy the demonstration of ears fully docked to ears fully deployed. Those ears are what brought me to the shelter to meet him in the first place. I don't remember why it's in this sequence; maybe the last picture is part of a second treat.

View attachment 93856

Cute pics.

Our dogs are gone for now but we’re not totally pet less. We have 3 cats in the family although given their ages 2 of them are certain to go in the next couple years if not sooner. The oldest is close to 19 years old, so..,

Sponsor

Staff online