• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
:roflmao:

The image I had -- though the one you conjured up was far better! -- was using a syringe to administer the liquid inside the cheek so it just flows down the throat. It would still have to taste good. And dogs can voluntarily throw up, so you should make sure it matches your flooring!

Yeah, I am doing everything I can to avoid him throwing up the few calories he'll ingest (and keep him from losing the antibiotics!). The syringe makes a lot more sense, LOL.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Our secret weapon for giving the fur babies their pills is to wrap them up in thin sliced meat. the first bite or two is just a bite of meat to get them interested then a pill wrapped in it.

It wouldn't hurt to try.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Our secret weapon for giving the fur babies their pills is to wrap them up in thin sliced meat. the first bite or two is just a bite of meat to get them interested then a pill wrapped in it.

It wouldn't hurt to try.

Cooper's nose is on point. He can tell the difference between unadulterated peanut butter (happy to eat) and antibiotics in PB (wrestling match ensues). At this point the PB is mostly to make it stick in his mouth and get him some extra calories.

Cooper has a throat condition which probably complicates matters with anything he has to swallow.

It does. It also makes him cough and retch sometimes, which freaks me out because I'm afraid he'll throw up food and antibiotics. I have to be careful not to let anything go down the wrong pipe, or we'll be dealing with ... Pneumonia, I think.

Last night, I was asleep and I guess dreamed that I heard retching, and sat bolt up right saying, "No! no! No!" In despair. My boyfriend sure appreciated that one.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
OMG. I am now picturing what I would have looked like this morning if Cooper had been able to spit it as a liquid! As it was, my shirt was covered in peanut butter.

Update: Cooper is currently very excited about bananas and french fries. I swear he just ate a whole banana (in small pieces), and a half banana earlier today. He has always loved bananas, but wouldn't eat them a couple of days ago. I wonder what that's going to do to his system, but for now I'm cheering at how much banana he ate.

hopefully his stomach has strong fortitude for all foods, otherwise as I'm sure you are, avoid things that may make the backend go astray ... the runs in a sick dog is certainly something to avoid.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
hopefully his stomach has strong fortitude for all foods, otherwise as I'm sure you are, avoid things that may make the backend go astray ... the runs in a sick dog is certainly something to avoid.

That doesn't seem to be an issue. He typically does have a cast iron stomach.

Also, he apparently is determined to make a liar out of me. While I was at the gym, I asked my boyfriend to offer Cooper some food if he had a chance. My boyfriend was cleaning up the kitchen, so he offered Cooper the rest of the banana. Gone. Then the cold french fries - gone. Yogurt. Egg noodles. All right down the gullet. This after Cooper wouldn't touch breakfast (french fries).

Then when I got home, I offered him a hard treat biscuit - they haven't been that popular with the dogs in general. He mouthed it a few times, but then did eat it.

I suspect two things. One, he's feeling better (which probably means that the antibiotics are the right idea, whether or not it's Lepto). Two, I suspect he really does need the Pepsid for his tummy to be okay for food, and half an hour between dosing and breakfast isn't sufficient. That gets a little tricky with timing if I need to actually be somewhere in the morning, but these are good signs.

There may be a slot for an ultrasound tomorrow, which I'd like to go ahead and do. Might provide more info; might not.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
This morning, Cooper ate all four pills (omg) (one half pepsid and two and a half antibiotics) individually stuffed into slices of banana.

This evening, nope, had to force feed him a glob of peanut butter for the pepsid (antibiotics TBD). But he wasn't interested in banana, anyway.

I bought some new items to try, and apparently cheddar cubes and Spam are acceptable.

Somewhere around the checkout line, it occurred to me that maybe I should be buying canned dog food (presumably more nutritionally balanced) instead of canned meat. But I haven't bought any yet. Just never occurred to me ... I've always written them off as too dang expensive for large dogs. But right now, I just want him to eat.

VickieH

Contrarian
Skier
canned dog food (presumably more nutritionally balanced)
When I informed the vet that Toby was on a no-dog-food diet, she said a home-cooked diet is better for them anyway. But he was 15 and likely at the end of his life so I doubled down on Happiness. She also said that happiness is really important, then went on to tease him at each visit that he was just hanging around for his next meal.

Where Cooper is now, it seems as if the best thing to feed him is whatever he's willing to eat ... dog food, baby food, chicken or beef and rice, mashed potatoes with gravy. If you run out of ideas, you might consult one of the food threads. He's starting to sound like a Poutine Pooch.

It's good to read that he's eating. Thanks for keeping us posted on his progress.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Where Cooper is now, it seems as if the best thing to feed him is whatever he's willing to eat ... dog food, baby food, chicken or beef and rice, mashed potatoes with gravy. If you run out of ideas, you might consult one of the food threads. He's starting to sound like a Poutine Pooch.

Wholly unimpressed with baby food and home cooked meals. Spam, canned chicken, tuna, and bananas. Sometimes peanut butter. He has the diet of a college student ;-)

What I'm saying is - home cooked isn't really in play here.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Cooper update: he does seem to be getting a little better every day. I took advantage of warmer weather on Friday and Saturday to test him on short walks. He did pretty well on Friday (a little less than a mile); we had to take a slightly longer route Saturday, and he started doing this thing where he would jog ahead a few feet, then drop back to just in front of me, etc. He's a little wobbly on walks - he walks just fine, but if you're watching closely, you can see that his feet are not quite landing firmly when he puts them down. He's fallen once trying to run up the two stairs to the deck. He's fine when he takes it easy.

The banana-stuffing pill trick has worked for the most part, although he also sometimes is rejecting that, so I still have to shove peanut butter into his mouth occasionally. I'm learning tricks, like priming him with a few cheerios before switching to the banana, to sort of get the juices flowing.

He's definitely still queasy most of the time. Lots of chops-licking. He will eat a greater portion of food at a time than he had been (wet dog food, cottage cheese, etc), but there's nothing he'll just keep eating until it's gone. I did get him to eat a fair amount of a pancake in small pieces - who doesn't like pancakes?

Fingers crossed that we'll get test results today and find out something conclusive about whether it's Lepto. He's just finished fourteen days of amoxicillin. Lepto would also require doxycycline. This is pretty opaque, but I gather Cooper hasn't even had the worst of possible symptoms for Lepto: https://www.merckvetmanual.com/generalized-conditions/leptospirosis/leptospirosis-in-dogs

Last night freaked me out a bit. I heard Cooper get up and go outside. It had gotten very cold, and I didn't want him spending too much time out there. I saw him eating vomit, though I'm not sure how old it was. I'm thinking it must have been pretty recent, because then Loki got outside and wanted to eat it. Sigh. Now I wonder how many times Cooper has barfed without me knowing, and possibly losing the benefits of the amoxicillin. He was also shivering like crazy - of course he was, being sick and with so little body fat.

HOWEVER - the really good news is that, subjectively, he seems to be a little less skinny. Still quite skinny, but it feels like there's something between his ribs and his fur, you know? And his waist doesn't look quite so narrow. He's lost a ton of muscle, and I hope he can build that up again. That's assuming he doesn't take a turn for the worse in the near term, of course. It doesn't seem to me that he's eating enough, but I guess being extremely lethargic allows him to get by on fewer calories.

I am also really concerned about our planned visit to family over Christmas. Any other year, I would simply explain that I can't make it - but it's my dad's 80th, and my mom has been clear for a couple of years now that it is important. And maybe I still wouldn't go, but my brother will be in town from out of the country, and he recently got a diagnosis that is ... not good, and we don't know how much longer he'll be able to travel. I have to go. But I can't go if it would mean Cooper would likely die because of, or during, my absence. It's causing me an enormous amount of stress, and I'm not sure how to arrange for care with so many variables. Will he need someone to force feed him a Pepsid two hours before breakfast? Most people's schedules just won't allow that.

I've also been queasy for a couple of weeks now. Could be stress. If Cooper gets a positive diagnosis, maybe I'll inquire with my own vet, er, doc, about a test.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
The vet is "pretty sure" now that it's Lepto. The titer number is half what they'd normally want for a diagnosis, but double but what it was from the previous week. Titers are something something antibody something somethings and show that his body is fighting the infection.

If he hadn't had the vaccine, he would likely have needed hospitalization. So even though it didn't "work," it still probably saved his life.

We're done with two weeks of amoxicillin, now moving on to two weeks of doxycycline, meaning instead of 2.5 large pills twice a day, it's merely one smaller pill twice a day. (Plus the pepsid.)

Oh, and lest you think I've forgotten the purpose of this thread - two pics I just snapped. Cooper isn't really sure what all the fuss is about, but he's pretty happy with his current diet of honey nut cheerios, bits of steak, Spam, wet dog food, treats, cottage cheese, yogurt, bananas .....

IMG_20191111_201414.jpg

IMG_20191111_201434.jpg

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
^ That thing you can just see in the upper right of the second photo? That's a dog bed. I'm not torturing my dog. He just chooses to lie on the hardwood floor most of the time.

JeffB

ODAT
Skier
Re dogs and pills - I used peanut butter for years and it was always messy and sometimes didn’t work. I switched to Kraft singles. Fold it up around the pill and mash it into a ball. Seems to mask the smell of the pill better and works with even my most discerning and skeptical dog.

All the best @Monique. Hopefully the corner has been turned.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Re dogs and pills - I used peanut butter for years and it was always messy and sometimes didn’t work. I switched to Kraft singles. Fold it up around the pill and mash it into a ball. Seems to mask the smell of the pill better and works with even my most discerning and skeptical dog.

All the best @Monique. Hopefully the corner has been turned.

I stuck his pill last night into a lump of Spam, LOL.

He's been hot and cold about cheese recently.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier

Sponsor

Staff online