• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Resized952019072095155549.jpg

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
Caraway caught all of these with some help, the mother fers killed 50 baby chickens yesterday. I imagine there is many more, our barn is crawling.

69427110_10158318341673357_812112181767176192_o.jpg

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Caraway caught all of these with some help, the mother fers killed 50 baby chickens yesterday. I imagine there is many more, our barn is crawling.

69427110_10158318341673357_812112181767176192_o.jpg
Caraway is definitely a working hound. Nice job from her, rodents are no fun.

What's her mix? Suppose terrier but sure has a wee look of Basenji.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
She’s 75 percent fox hound and 25 percent corgi. Hounds and herding dogs(which corgis are) are good for this sort of thing, but not as good as a rat or jack Russell terrier.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
All is not well at the Chevy Chase MD park used by the uber rich !
https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...3e4397be4_story.html?wpisrc=nl_evening&wpmm=1

sadly funny in many respects .. but then too, I don't live there.

I read a story where it's becoming more common in Condo or Apt complexes where DNA is used for dog poo. This to catch those not responsible enough to clean up after their pooch.

One signs the agreement and submits a sample prior to moving in, if found it's your pooch, you're on the hook for clean up and the DNA test that showed it's your pooch.

I haven't issue with this one as it simply means you didn't clean after your own dog .. but cost runs ~$200-$250 typ.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
sadly funny in many respects .. but then too, I don't live there.

It's tricky. The lady in the article says that if she had a dog, she'd bring him in when he barks. This is easier said than done. My dogs bark when people are walking past the fence (and of course, they particularly go nuts when they hear skateboard wheels or a dribbled basketball). There's a small grassy area next to our fence, near the grade school bus stop, with a tree that almost leans over our fence. So of course there are kids lobbing pine cones (not usually into the yard, at least not on purpose) and, joy of joys, climbing up the tree and hanging out in full view of the dogs.

I do my best to bring them in when they bark, but I'm not sure that my yelling is any better than their barking. As soon as the people walk out of range, the barking stops, anyway. And sometimes I've yelled at them, only to realize that they are quietly sitting in the yard, and it's another of the several dogs in yards nearby. (Years ago, I got a call from the police while I was at work - I found out later that in fact my dogs were inside the house, so no, it wasn't them.) I also installed a dog door so that if I have to be out late, the dogs aren't crossing their legs - and they're only getting older. But right now, I have it closed because Loki is being an ass. Because of the kids at the bus stop. I've been at home a lot lately. I would say that most of the time, they're pretty quiet - and they're in the house most of the time, anyway. But nobody likes a barking dog.

The only thing positive thing I can say about my dogs barking is that I have a lot more sympathy for other dog owners. When I hear a dog barking, I just think, "Phew, I'm glad it's not mine!"

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
^ I should mention that I'm finding it more effective, and less obnoxious, to just call them inside rather than ineffectively yelling at them not to bark. It doesn't teach them to stop barking, though, and of course only works when I'm home.

socalgal

Making fresh tracks
Skier
My daughter loves Jack, her "fluffy boy". He will be 14 in November. He gets accessorized frequently.
20190913_075856.jpg
20190825_185015.jpg
20190825_185343.jpg

Sponsor