• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

ilovepugs

The human form of the 100 emoji
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
2 little snuggle monsters:
70F1E5D0-9912-4BB2-B2B7-E0049202C868.jpeg

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Ginsburg has to be sedated for nail trims. It is ridiculous.

If food motivated, try treats.

One pooch (Xerxes) hates nail trimming. I started messing with his feet a lot. Whenever I would think of it I'd mess with them. I'd also trim our co-operative pooches nails a few at a time, giving a treat with every trim and making sure Xerxes knew it and got nothing .. unless he'd let me take a paw for a moment, then a treat.

Anyhow, the old reward trick with lots of in between handling and false "trimming" actions. I would too at times sneak in one trimmed toenail and then give him a treat. He now can handle almost a full foot trimmed. I just have to do them over a few days.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If food motivated, try treats.

One pooch (Xerxes) hates nail trimming. I started messing with his feet a lot. Whenever I would think of it I'd mess with them. I'd also trim our co-operative pooches nails a few at a time, giving a treat with every trim and making sure Xerxes knew it and got nothing .. unless he'd let me take a paw for a moment, then a treat.

Anyhow, the old reward trick with lots of in between handling and false "trimming" actions. I would too at times sneak in one trimmed toenail and then give him a treat. He now can handle almost a full foot trimmed. I just have to do them over a few days.

I can mess with her paws all day long, no issue. When the clippers come out it's over. She likes treats but not enough to overcome her dislike of nail trims. To give you an idea of how intensely she dislikes them, she had 200mg trazadone and an injection of butorphanol, had the happy hoodie on and head was covered so she couldn't see the clippers yet still pulled away from the vet trying to trim so we had to add an injection of dexdomitor to knock her out enough to do the nail trim. It's so ridiculous.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
I can mess with her paws all day long, no issue. When the clippers come out it's over. She likes treats but not enough to overcome her dislike of nail trims. To give you an idea of how intensely she dislikes them, she had 200mg trazadone and an injection of butorphanol, had the happy hoodie on and head was covered so she couldn't see the clippers yet still pulled away from the vet trying to trim so we had to add an injection of dexdomitor to knock her out enough to do the nail trim. It's so ridiculous.
Our old hound Daisy was paralyzed by clippers. Could not handle them any way shape of form. Our groomer started standing her in running water filling a bath while doing the nails, and it worked. After doing this with her 4 or 5 times and increasing the number of nails being done we could do them all with water running. That was great.
Then another groomer went with the 'I'm stronger than you approach and we were back to square one. Not great.