• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

The Crazy 88's (2017) and whatever happened to wider skis?

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Ken, I may be skiing in Vail tuesday or wednesday depending on schedule, let me know what you are up to.

I am heading out on Monday (get there monday night), Presidents day and am staying in Vail until thursday I think. Next I am heading to Beaver Creek to my cousin's place until Sunday if they stay until then If not I head back to Vail.

K

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
It was Monday morning!!

I was amazed last spring how quickly they turned 8-12 inches of light dry snow into ice the next on the groomers..

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
looks like I will ski on thursday. Need to see if @Blue Streak is around YO!!!!! But need a discounted pass or I'll head to Copper..

Yeah, single day tickets are just absurdly expensive at Vail Resorts. I have the Epic pass worth it for the 20 days plus I will ski at VRi this year. Yesterday I paid less than $50 for a day ticket at Ski Apache. 9" fresh and soft snow all day. Talk about a bargain! Just lapped the Gondola lift line trail and other runs again and again. Ski right to the lift, no lines.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
My Black Pearls will arrive tomorrow. Tomorrow night is "date night" with my new man friend. He does NOT think that mounting bindings on my new skis constitutes much of a date. What is WRONG with him??! :huh:
On that note, in addition to my thumbnail reviews, I will do a long-term review on those skis after I get them out in every condition I can for a week or two. They are 88 under foot, so totally relevant to this thread! :D

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
My Black Pearls will arrive tomorrow. Tomorrow night is "date night" with my new man friend. He does NOT think that mounting bindings on my new skis constitutes much of a date. What is WRONG with him??! :huh:

You need a better wine list :P
On that note, in addition to my thumbnail reviews, I will do a long-term review on those skis after I get them out in every condition I can for a week or two. They are 88 under foot, so totally relevant to this thread! :D

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Not too late to cut bait on him...of course wait till after the mounting is done and you are satisfied. :duck:

James

Out There
Instructor
You'll like the Black Pearls. I've yet to meet a woman who didn't like them.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier

You haven't been asking the right people.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive

My wife, who is a very skilled skier, was really excited to get on the ski. She was given a pair via our son. She really was not a fan, skied it about 10 days in the East and in the Rockies. Nope.

Hard snow ski is a SuperJoy. Soft snow ski was a Samba, which she really liked. Now a Santa Ana. She just never loved the Black Pearl. I sometimes wonder if part of it was that it was 2012, and her first ski with that look and that much rocker. She was much happier on a 170cm Kenja.

We sold them to a friend who LOVES them. So, yes, she is an outlier. Lot of love for the ski. Bet the newer ski is "better."

Last edited:

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Yep, I owned the first version, and these newest ones are a big improvement! I took them out 3 separate times during testing because they became my benchmark ski. I'm excited to be getting my own!

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
My wife, who is a very skilled skier, was really excited to get on the ski. She was given a pair via our son. She really was not a fan, skied it about 10 days in the East and in the Rockies. Nope.

Hard snow ski is a SuperJoy. Soft snow ski was a Samba, which she really liked. Now a Santa Ana. She just never loved the Black Pearl. I sometimes wonder if part of it was that it was 2012, and her first ski with that look and that much rocker. She was much happier on a 170cm Kenja.

We sold them to a friend who LOVES them. So, yes, she is an outlier. Lot of love for the ski. Bet the newer ski is "better."

Out of curiosity has she been on the SR88?

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Out of curiosity has she been on the SR88?

Not that I know of! Seriously, she is a full on convert of the Head Joys. Skis the SuperJoy in a huge range of conditions and terrain. Much more sonthat the ski is billed for. 6" of fresh snow, no problem.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Also not a pearl fan. Demoed them last dream and 1 run was.enough. I couldn't get them off my feet fast enough. Would be curious about the new version but I admit I'm not in a huge hurry.

Sponsor

Staff online