• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

The Crazy 88's (2017) and whatever happened to wider skis?

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I have my own new favorite "Crazy 88" after testing skis this week: The 2018 Blizzard Black Pearl 88. There were some great skis in this category, but these were the standouts! Review of it and others coming soon :D

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
Similarly, the new brahma is further refined and I'm pretty sure @DoryBreaux was rather ennamoured with it. You can always tell when someone gets on a new ski and lt looks like they have been skiing it all season; they are gonna have have something good to say.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Similarly, the new brahma is further refined and I'm pretty sure @DoryBreaux was rather ennamoured with it. You can always tell when someone gets on a new ski and lt looks like they have been skiing it all season; they are gonna have have something good to say.
And the Brahma CA is the exact same ski, according to the Blizzard rep. Looking forward to hearing @DoryBreaux 's feedback. I'm beginning to realize more and more that 88 under foot is a REALLY useful width in a huge variety of conditions.

I skied the BP 88 on three separate runs (2500 vert on each run) and at different times each day. They KILLED it in every condition, which was a mixed bag from top to bottom each time I skied them. Powder? Check. Slush? Check. Bumps? Check. Death cookies and marbles? Check. Rock hard cordury? Check. Chunky monkey mashed potatoes that were sticky as all get-out? Check.

I need to get that review written!

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
My guy demoed the 2017 Brahma at Arizona Snowbowl when we were there last week and he loved them and this is rich coming from him since he's a die hard Volkl lover. I demoed the 2015 Volkl Kenja and OMG do I love this ski so there's another one at 87 underfoot is quite versatile and spectacular.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
Personally, I preferred the Head Monster 88 but for its off-piste feel over a decidedly better carved, on-edge feel of the brahma.

DoryBreaux

Not the Pixar Character
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I used to strongly dislike the Brahma (although I sent that out more than any other ski last year), because it felt like it had no purpose in life. It was something that an old guy who thought he was a real hot skier could skid around on and feel good about himself. But the new incarnation put a s**t eating grin on my face. It can still make that old man skidded turn but you can also rail it as hard as you want and it wont give in. I didnt get to ski it off groomers but I imagine it will be versatile.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I used to strongly dislike the Brahma (although I sent that out more than any other ski last year), because it felt like it had no purpose in life. It was something that an old guy who thought he was a real hot skier could skid around on and feel good about himself. But the new incarnation put a s**t eating grin on my face. It can still make that old man skidded turn but you can also rail it as hard as you want and it wont give in. I didnt get to ski it off groomers but I imagine it will be versatile.
The Black Pearl 88 had the same effect on me! (Same ski, except Brahma has metal, unless it's the Ca version, then it's the same ski as the Black Pearl.) They really nailed it with this ski, and I have a pair of the 2018 Black Pearls ON THEIR WAY :yahoo:I'll be on them by this weekend. I'm glad that my intermediate skills could still assess that I could make skidded turns AND rail on them. And I skied them in just about every condition imaginable! I think a long-term review is in order after my trip to Grand Targhee in 10 days.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
And the Brahma CA is the exact same ski, according to the Blizzard rep. Looking forward to hearing @DoryBreaux 's feedback. I'm beginning to realize more and more that 88 under foot is a REALLY useful width in a huge variety of conditions.

I skied the BP 88 on three separate runs (2500 vert on each run) and at different times each day. They KILLED it in every condition, which was a mixed bag from top to bottom each time I skied them. Powder? Check. Slush? Check. Bumps? Check. Death cookies and marbles? Check. Rock hard cordury? Check. Chunky monkey mashed potatoes that were sticky as all get-out? Check.

I need to get that review written!

Going to Vail/Beaver Creek next week. Gonna have to demo a few 88's :D

ARL67

Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Not exactly an 88 but has anyone ridden the Salomon QST Lux 92 ?

There is set cheap locally in 161cm and I am considering them for my wife to complement her LX82 156.
She is not an aggressive skier, does her "methodical" ski moves, but can readily get down an easier black run if need be.
My wife won't demo, so will ride what I deem suitable for her.
I'd like to get her something with a more versatile tip and a bit wider for when we do a ski trip.

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
Didn't like it as much as the Atomic Vantage 90W. Found the tip was fluttering a bit, compared to the Atomic. And the Atomic held the hardpack better Neither are a ski I would tend to use in Ontario. I was looking for an out west ski to replace my Temptation 88's.

Where are you skiing....hopefully not all your time at Chicopee.

ARL67

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
We ski at Blue Mountain, and my wife's LX82 are fine there.
Going to Tremblant in 2 weeks for a week, and usually a trip out west.
The 88-98 ski I'm eyeing for my wife are for when we are away, in hopefully softer snow.

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
I tried both last weekend at Tremblant. We had some fresh stuff Saturday on the north side. Wish I'd had them Monday morning for first tracks. Made due with my Temptations. Going to try the Atomic again when I hit WB in 3 weeks. Along with a wide Joy.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Not exactly an 88 but has anyone ridden the Salomon QST Lux 92 ?

There is set cheap locally in 161cm and I am considering them for my wife to complement her LX82 156.
She is not an aggressive skier, does her "methodical" ski moves, but can readily get down an easier black run if need be.
My wife won't demo, so will ride what I deem suitable for her.
I'd like to get her something with a more versatile tip and a bit wider for when we do a ski trip.
I did during the testing days. It was one of my least favorite skis. I did not like them last year, either. They felt nervous to me, and felt like they'd wash out on harder snow. They were very nice in soft, smooth snow, however. I like the graphics--very pretty! ;)

That being said, I have a coworker who just picked up a pair in 161 and she skied them yesterday with me. She seemed to like them a lot. I own the LX82 and they are a nice, smooth ski. The Lux 92 just don't feel smooth to me.

ARL67

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks for the comments. I dont think I'll buy them on a whim then.
I'll try to convince my wife to demo / rent when we're at Tremblant.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks for the comments. I dont think I'll buy them on a whim then.
I'll try to convince my wife to demo / rent when we're at Tremblant.
Sounds like the needs to try the Vantage 90s :) Atomics are reasonably priced skis, too.
I'm all about demoing. And it's fun!!

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
lol tremblant and soft snow .......

Reactions: Ron

Sponsor

Staff online