• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

The Crazy 88's (2017) and whatever happened to wider skis?

Sierrajim

Ski Savant
Industry Insider
The “Crazy 88’s” redux and what happened to wider skis?:

First, I’ll say that this is not a new category and nothing has happened to wide skis, they’re still around in great numbers. What has happened though is a dearth of snow in the western regions in four of the last five winters. So what really happened is that skiers who used to regularly or even exclusively ski on skis that were well over 100mm have gradually realized that they may not have had the best gear on their feet much of the time. During these recent lean years, we either skied on hard snow a lot of the time……..or we didn’t ski.

As a result, skiers over the last several years have trickled into the shops and started buying up skis that were 20 or even 30mm narrower than that they had been skiing. Of course they would often keep their bigger stuff for those days when it had snowed but they simply wanted something that would perform better when it hadn’t. So, they started a quiver or added to the quiver they already had. Generally, they went one of two directions. They either sought out a real live “fronstside carver” (example: Head Rally etc) or they went for what I tend to term a “narrow all mountain ski (example: Blizzard Brahma etc). I’ve been writing about this latter category for years now and have come to call them “The Crazy 88’s” because although they range in width from maybe 85-90mm (ish) a lot of them seem to cluster around the 88mm mark. And……..I have to admit, I like the name.......:D

So……what are these skis anyway? Well, they can be a lot of things but generally speaking they are narrower versions of stuff the manufacturers had already been selling a lot of in the 98mm range and up. What these guys are not, are pure, dedicated packed snow specialty skis that usually run in the 70-76mm (ish). With the 88's the manufacturer would usually take out some of the tip rocker and most if not all of the tail rocker. They would often beef the flex up a little as well and sometimes deepen the sidecut. The goal of all this was to make the one ski quiver a little more biased toward firmer snow while still holding an advantage over the carvers in boot top snow…….and it worked. Some skis in this category have a bit of a bias toward softer mixed conditions while others are biased toward firmer snow. As in most ski categories, you can get just about anything you want.

OK…..so who should be considering these types of skis? The Crazy 88’s are great skis for the one ski skier that likes a little mixed snow once in a while but really doesn’t ski it all that often. This is the skier that maybe skis packed snow conditions most of the time and may see boot top snow once a season. They also may not tackle the most difficult terrain often if at all. For the skier that really does frequent the most difficult off trail conditions regularly, something in the wider widths is probably the better call. Still, even for that skier, one of these can make a useful addition to what they already have. For women, this width ski can handle mid-calf snow easily (lighter skier ya know)

I’ll start posting individual reviews on this category in the fairly near term.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
Curious do you think the E93 should be included in this test?

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Nice read, @Sierrajim ! For thus season, my very third one, I got mh first skis. I don't ski a lot, around 20 days a season. I Dynastar Powertrack 89 @ 179, with help from forum members. I couldn't be happier. Stable, fun and forgiving. i am 6'1 @ 185 lbs.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
This category contains the skis for the conditions people ski verses skis for the conditions they dream of skiing. Sure, everyone would love to have 8" powder as every day conditions but it just isn't realistic. So why woudl you want a One-Oh-Something (or wider) as an every day tool? The upper 80mm skis do a lot of things really well, especially for a western skier. Even under the feet of a compitent intermediate wuth progresing skills., these skis can be brought up on edge and they have enough float to handle all but the deepest dumps. Remember the Volant Chubb? When that was introduced it was the powder ski that all others were measured against and that was only 88 underfoot. I said "only", actually at the time it was a massive 88mm uderfoot.

TS
Sierrajim

Sierrajim

Ski Savant
Industry Insider
Curious do you think the E93 should be included in this test?

Yes I do as well as the Line SN 92. While they both are technically wider than this category, I skied both and wrote up both as well as the Volkl RTM 84 with this grouping in mind. Besides, the name for the group is just a name and I liked the "Crazy 88's" better than "narrow all mountain." It's really about what the ski helps the skier to accomplish and how the performance is biased in terms of conditions.

liv2ski

Sierra Cement Inspector
Skier
Agree that skis in this width range are great everyday skis for jongs like me, that are fortunate to ski 20-30 days a season and rarely do I seem to catch the elusive "Powder Day". I have been on a pair of Elan 88 xti's as my DD for the last few seasons. Late last season I picked up a pair of Atomic 100 cti's that I only got 3-4 days on, but was really impressed with as a possible DD ski. We will see this season when I have a chance to use them side by side to see which I prefer.
For me, anything between 80cm and 100cm could be a DD ski. What I look for is ease of turn initiation and edge grip for what we call icy conditions at Mammoth. That said, a narrower ski may be a better fit, but I always like the width in case I luck into a little fresh snow.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Been skiing 10-20 days per season MidAtlantic mostly above 5,000 feet elevation and I've only skied my fattest skis (Elan M999) ONCE, a 20"-24" dump I got to early. I've toyed with buying another pair of fatter skis but just don't ever feel under represented in anything under 18" of true fresh snow. Chopped up leftovers will put me on a beefy 87mm that's 192 cm long.. I guess skiing longer skis gives me surface area that fatter skis give others on shorter skis. Only my SL skis are listed under 179cm but my bump skis ski a lot shorter than the 179 cm label.

My .02 is that if you ski longer skis you still get good float with a narrower waist AND decent bite on cord AND smooth busting of the crud..

TS
Sierrajim

Sierrajim

Ski Savant
Industry Insider
As some are probably aware, I spent much of the last six years, on skis in the 100mm (ish) range. Most of that time, I also have had a geeesssy thing in the quiver as well. Used to be, I'd ski those Blizzard Bonafides all the time and haul out the Head Master's GS on occasion. But the drought just dragged on and on..............

I started skiing the GS's more and sampled the 88's more regularly. The 88's were just plain better than my beloved Bonafides most of the time. Eventually, I replaced the Bones with an 88 and then added a wider ski for when it got deepish (which almost never happened).

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
This category contains the skis for the conditions people ski verses skis for the conditions they dream of skiing.

Dead right. I've made similar comments in other threads, like the one asking about the E93 vs. E100. For me, it's super-easy to get seduced by the idea of wider skis when surfing around on the interweb, looking at ski tests and pow videos. In reality, I'm lucky to take out my 113s or 118s six or eight times a year, and I get to ski a lot. Part of this is that given decent pitch, I prefer a narrower ski in cut up crud, once the Hour of Powder ends (partly, this is due to knee issues).

Also, for me, there is a huge fun component to this topic. This week on Tuesday, I skied my new Head Titans (love them so far). No new snow, but great coverage and snow quality, on and off-piste. Had a blast. Two days later I skied my Motive 95s in similar conditions (missed the forecast, brought the wrong skis) and the Yippee Factor just wasn't there.

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
Like many above, I'm an east coast skier, with an 88 in my quiver for my days out west. West for me is Whistler. And for the occasional dump we might get here in the east. It fills a spot in the quiver for me. Now last year it didn't get out much. But I'm hoping for more turns this year. Rossi Temptation 88.

chopstix

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
As some are probably aware, I spent much of the last six years, on skis in the 100mm (ish) range. Most of that time, I also have had a geeesssy thing in the quiver as well. Used to be, I'd ski those Blizzard Bonafides all the time and haul out the Head Master's GS on occasion. But the drought just dragged on and on..............

I started skiing the GS's more and sampled the 88's more regularly. The 88's were just plain better than my beloved Bonafides most of the time. Eventually, I replaced the Bones with an 88 and then added a wider ski for when it got deepish (which almost never happened).

great thread...kudos!
:golfclap:
i totally get you on this one.... i have the kastle mx78 and blizzard bonafdes...just sold (last season)
my bent chetlers because like many i had to realize reality vs wishful thinking for truly 'deep days' warranting such
out here on the wet coast.
(I can just rent some powder skis for those rare real deep dump occasions or on a trip to the powder highway).
...haven't skied the bones yet (got them used 3 yrs ago and they've sat around given the drought we had). but we'll see this season.

if i was to have just one ski for most of the skiing I typically do, then it'd most likely be in a 90-ish mm waist.

Last edited:

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
I've tried to simplify things a bit, which is sort of complicated as we spilt our time between NE and CO....and now we may spend a week or two in Tahoe. We have kept skis in CO, and in NE.

I bought a pair of near new 180cm Head i.Speeds through ScotsSkier a few years ago, and that ski has become my real hard snow ski. I spend about 50% of my time on a pair at our home hill. If we were there all winter it might be 70%+. I have an identical pair in CO. Love the ski. Not my daily driver in CO, though. It's a real hard snow weapon. A fun one.

My DD, outside of NE, is now a 184cm Monster88. It's proven to be a real do it all ski for me. Gets well over two-thirds of my ski days. For my deeper, softer days I have a pair of 193cm current generation Bodacious. It is a lot more versatile than I thought it would be. Son told me to try it. Been very impressed with the ski. I have a first generation pair, and they get no use. I have not found myself skiing where they have the room to run. 196cm. I can't afford to ski where they would work best!

Back East, in addition to the i.Speed's, I have a couple of pairs of 187cm Bonafides. One really well worn second year, one newly mounted last season. I ski it when we have fresh snow, and a lot in the spring. A lot of people are non-plussed by the ski, but I really love them. Like an old friend. Does everything pretty darn well.

I had a 187cm Brahma for a couple of years, and just never really loved it. Didn't hate it, but reached for the Bonafide pretty consistently. Didn't do it for me. Hard to describe.

Our powder days are pretty infrequent, at least when I tend to ski, back East and things get tracked out pretty fast. I am pretty happy on the Bonafides. On the rare serious dump, I borrow from a couple of friends. I had a pair of early gen Cochise, which were great crud skis and crappy powder skis. Gone.

I would be VERY happy with the Monster88's back East, and may try to pick up a pair.

However, I'm also thinking about a Titan {or a Rally} as more of an everyday ski for doing a little bit of everything....skiing with a group of our friends who don't all necessarily rip. Covering a lot of terrain and varied surfaces. Making all sorts of turn shapes. Need to figure that out, I guess.

The ski in the 88 category that I tried SO hard to love was the MX88. The 188cm was no fun, and I wanted more ski than the 178cm. I also was given a pair of 184cm FireArrow 84 EDT's. Not great in that length and a one trick pony. One sized turn, etc. Over and over. It's a very different ski in a 176cm, IMO.

Big learning for me was that at least IMO, the Brahma and Bonafide skied very differently. And the Monster88 was entirely different than a Brahma. Interestingly, not a big fan of the Monster 98. Much prefer the Bonafide.

One ski? The Monster88 might be it for me.

The ski I want to try....the Renoun. I'm afraid that I might love them. Right now I'm on the family deal for a lot of very "reasonably" priced skis. Not so with them, haha!

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Big learning for me was that at least IMO, the Brahma and Bonafide skied very differently. And the Monster88 was entirely different than a Brahma. Interestingly, not a big fan of the Monster 98. Much prefer the Bonafide.

One ski? The Monster88 might be it for me.

The ski I want to try....the Renoun. I'm afraid that I might love them. Right now I'm on the family deal for a lot of very "reasonably" priced skis. Not so with them, haha!

There's a cage match, Bonafide vs Monster 98.

Personally, I would choose the Renoun Z90 over the Monster 88, because of the flex and the turn it makes along with how supple it is on the snow. @Muleski I would love to get your impression of the Z90..in the 180.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I should try on of those crazy 88's to see what the fuzz is about. I have gravitated to wider skis not because of hype but demoing a few and liking them a lot. In fact for years I was reluctant to try any ski wider than say 90-100mm since I was skiing inside resort boundaries 100% of the time and most of the time that meant groomed slopes and moguls. My technique is not great because although I have been skiing for 30 years almost every season it has been for only 10-20 days each season. I wanted to explore more of the advanced and expert terrain but the frontside oriented skis I was renting felt horrible in that terrain and snow and just made it difficult to have fun. The older Volkl Kendos specially felt heavy and planky and just a chore in tight trees with loose snow and bumps.

First "wide" ski I tried was a Rossignol S3 in 186cm. Really enjoyed that ski although I wanted a bit more stability on edge but more importantly a more pivoty ski for tight spots.

The I rented the Rossignol Soul 7 when it first came out and wow. It made the advanced and expert terrain MUCH MUCH easier to negotiate and have fun in. So much in fact that I started skiing those areas, neglected between storms, more and more until that is mostly what I skied. On the firm groomers the Soul 7's were ok but at higher speeds the tip chatter was severe, I hated that. By someones recommendation I demoed the Nordica Patrons and wow, VERY stable on edge but really pivoty at slower speeds and with bases flat. Dead easy ski for me.

I find that most of the groomers that are groomed frequently and have man made snow mixed in just feel way different that natural snow so I tend to avoid those.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
There's a cage match, Bonafide vs Monster 98.

Personally, I wold choose the Renoun Z90 over the Monster 88, because of the flex and the turn it makes along with how supple it is on the snow. @Muleski I would love to get your impression of the Z90..in the 180.

Ha! I'm scared to try the Renoun as I am pretty sure that I will/would love the ski! And I might not be ready! We'll see. The ski gets nothing but "game changing" reviews. It is a pretty neat story, as well. Have some VT friends who have been Cyrus fans from the start.