• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

The closures are killing us

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Literally! Closures are often justified by “if we save just one life.” But these closures actually take part of our lives from us. Hours and days are taken from us. We may still breathe and have heartbeats but none of our goals and dreams are being realized. Our lifespans are limited so we really lose when our plans are disrupted. How much do we lose? Collectively, it's a lot!

Consider closing Interstate 80 over Donner Summit for a day. 170,000 cars per day go over the summit, three times that on a holiday weekend(tahoedailytribune.com). Up to 510,000 on a big weekend like President's Saturday. I80 closed for a full day - that's a lot of days lost from people's lives.

If the average lifespan is 72 years (WHO) that's about 26,000 days. Caltrans just did the equivalent of killing almost 20 people by closing I80 last weekend! No blood, no funerals but real life experiences destroyed for a huge group.

Continuing this line of reasoning, how damaging were Squaw's closures? People with normal jobs work most of the year. Their vacation time is what most (skiers!) live for. Weekends, holidays and vacation time adds up to about 120 days per year. 20 years at the serious grindstone means you only have 2400 days for yourself (lots of assumptions but plausible). On a weekend, ski week, holiday or an exceptional snow day, 2400 people are likely to show up at Squaw. Close them out and you've killed the equivalent of a person's recreational life. No rescues, no statistics that a lawyer can use against the resort, no news clips but real damage that adds up to significant loss of life (quality).

Preoccupation with safety has consequences. Life is risky no matter what. Choosing to do nothing is actually a choice with its own costs and problems. Helmets, avalanches, tree wells, bad visibility – whatever the fear of the day may be – pale in comparison to suicide and obesity. Do things! Stay open to keep us living.

Eric

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
There are couple of wreaths on posts at the bottom of Kachina Peak. They are the result of patrol being careful and conservative.

Perhaps a account with the local whole sale florist is in order prior to opening terrain that are not ready. Could save a bundle.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I think this is reflective that that your happiness is overly dependent on one thing, It maybe an obvious mental distortion that this is the only thing that matters, which makes a pertubation of that one thing to cause you to be upsets and is a a significant loss. On a clinical mental health scale perhaps this is reading only 2 out 17 on the depression scale so not even lightly depressed, and you are fully functional for all intents and purposes; but any points you can go down is an improvement.
Even if haha just joking /satire, jokes often come from a grain of truth.

If your source of true happiness can't be found in multiple things, or even in periods of stress; that requires some self-reflection and self-work.
I re-read that article on the dalai lama sees skiing today in the Celebrities thread and immediately felt better.
https://slate.com/human-interest/20...esort-tells-waitress-the-meaning-of-life.html

Perhaps also need to subscribe to Coop's twitter or facebook to get more Dalai Lama quotes on inner peace.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Surfing you'll get beach closures for sharks, jellyfish,, riptides..............
Golf has weather closures for electrical storms, frost, extreme weather...........
Forest activities close for fire danger, fire dangers, occasionally game issues.................

I have been hit by rock slides on roads, lost friends to avalanches (and come too close myself). If the snows and removal on passes are inconvenient for us, they are dangerous for the road crews. They can work faster and safer without the traffic on the roads, and it is less likely that anyone will be hurt or worse.

If our inconvenience means they get to go home at night I'll miss a couple of days. It is okay, Our silly sport can kill people in lots of ways.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online