• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Bob Howard posted this tv clip
Here is a great clip put together by Bob Howard, pioneer of ballet and multiple WC winner. Great stuff!

I love this clip.
Besides being a great athlete, he's been a great producer of shows shown in those tv clips.

Karen_skier2.0

AKA - RX2SKI
Skier
Here is a great clip put together by Bob Howard, pioneer of ballet and multiple WC winner. This from when he performed as part of the Volvo Ski Show with a number of great former freestylers. This is the same show that Dan Herby, Bob Legasa, and a host of other guys were involved with. Great stuff!

That was great! On the facebook groups related to old school freestyle and ballet skiing, there is such a negative sentiment about bringing back ballet with music involved. Just the word "ballet" has negative connotations for so many people. To me, without music, there is no emotion and ballet/acro would be a trick show of flip and axles without linking maneuvers and continuity.

Lane Spina was one of my favorites for having a fun routine which had all the elements of a well-rounded routine:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Stacy Blumer's demo has been put up on Freeride Media

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Mike Hudson's demo is up on Freeride Media

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Met someone at Winter Park this weekend involved in the Bring Ballet Skiing Back movement -- she was a real fireball but I'm blanking on her name. (We both may have had a few drinks at this point.) Starts with an M I think, she lives up at WP, is/was a coach/instructor, and claims to know @Tricia and @Philpug and had the videos on her phone to prove it.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Met someone at Winter Park this weekend involved in the Bring Ballet Skiing Back movement -- she was a real fireball but I'm blanking on her name. (We both may have had a few drinks at this point.) Starts with an M I think, she lives up at WP, is/was a coach/instructor, and claims to know @Tricia and @Philpug and had the videos on her phone to prove it.
Marion Post, a petite little thing or Marla Reeves-Kruse?

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Did we post up Danny Shaw?

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Here's another: Paul Krak Arntson -

The story of how he got the name Krak is awesome.
It started a joke but is now his legal name.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I thought this was funny, from the 1987 Buyers Guide, there are more Ballet ski options than Mogul or Powder skis.
Y6fcpFhCQVu2W%Lk%HAeKw.jpg

Carolinacub

Yes thats a Cubs hat I'm wearing
Skier
So the "Combined" was aerials and moguls and ballet? And aerials as in the huge kicker jumps with the small skis? How long did this go on?
Back in the early 80's I lived in Aspen and skied Highlands almost exclusively. They did a thing called the Dearborn Cup where the contestants ran a mogul run transitioned into a ballet run and ended up going off the big jump. The one thing they didn't allow at the time was inverted air.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Glen Plake shows off his ballet prowess

Sponsor

Staff online