• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

DoryBreaux

Not the Pixar Character
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I heard a rumor that it's supposed to dissolve soon. But I also heard that last year was supposed to be an average winter in CA...

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
Heard the same thing. Unfortunately the next couple of weeks look grim for the West.

Scrundy

I like beer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The Blob? All I know here on the east coast we are going to get pounded. Why you ask? Well every time I go out to the wood shed something in the back of my mind keeps telling me I need more wood. Not enough? Something keeps telling me I need wider skis. Freaky really :huh:

Tom Co.

life's new window
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
DANG--It's back

A quote from Professor Cliff Mass University of Washington Meterology Department

The latest plot of the difference of the current sea surface temperature from normal (the SST anomaly) available from NOAA shows that some of the most unusually warm water across the planet is now offshore of the West Coast. Some of the water is 2.5-4 C degrees warmer than normal (4.5-7.2F warmer than normal). Since it has only been there a few months, let's call it a junior BLOB.

sst.daily.anom.gif

This is Baaad for the PNW

eok

Slopefossil
Skier
Man, the last time I saw an ocean temperature map like that was Sept 2014. The PNW 2014/2015 season mostly sucked.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Well, at least Crystal has snowmaking on the lower mountain now. Oddly enough, the upper mountain skied OK during the blob year.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Man, the last time I saw an ocean temperature map like that was Sept 2014. The PNW 2014/2015 season mostly sucked.

IIRC that Season in Colorado was pretty "average", not bad but not great.

jack97

Out on the slopes
Skier
The Arctic Oscillation may be going to a neg phase hence resulting in a arctic jet stream/polar vortex that dips further south in the northern hemisphere. The key right now is whether Siberia will get an early snow pack, that's an indication the jet stream will dip further southward.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier

Sponsor