• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Seven years ago I was introduced to a little piece of magic. The Square Lake Music and Film festival.

In a fellows backyard, once a year, some 4-500 people assemble for world class Americana music and local films. It all takes place on a little hill, a small stage, and in a barn. It brings out all ages. Spotify playlist for those curious: https://open.spotify.com/playlist/7xRS3GVJj80LIreZ2Qhq0e?si=8ukV0XxPSNq16qRfW2K8qA

Some 2-300 folks bike out to the show each year about 30 miles out from the Twin Cities. Not only do you get a ticket at 40% the price ($15, no stupid fees), you get a sag wagon, fantastic food trucks on arrival, and coffee the morning after while you pack up camp.

I hadn't been in five years. I left the Twin Cities a mess of a person. This weekend my last summer was one of the few up moments. Flying back, I was convinced I had an unrealistic memory of how wholesome and good this festival made me feel. Some nostalgic bullshit.

Despite it raining a good bit the day of the festival -- it was everything I remember.

Simply put -- the best S24O (sub-24 hour overnight) bike trip you'll ever go on in Minnesota.

Photo dump....included are a few shots from the day before/after as I rode the Grand Rounds of Minneapolis.

(And @Philpug -- sorry I was out doing this when I should've been finishing the article! This week!)

Setup shot from the day before on the Grand Rounds.
IMG_4012.jpg

Heading out of town...
IMG_4026.jpg
IMG_4037.jpg
IMG_4038.jpg

Shot for bike gear nerds:
IMG_4048.jpg

Newmann's -- the oldest continually operating bar in St. Paul (tech N. St Paul)
58715287003__D44F9357-3B9B-4145-B746-B565C9847BEA.jpg

The rain opened up on the last hill.
IMG_4052.jpg

The festival -- stoke for all ages
IMG_4093.jpg
IMG_6559.jpg

IMG_4137.jpg

After hours jam session in the barn
IMG_6562.jpg

Scenes the morning after
IMG_4138.jpg
IMG_4140.jpg
IMG_4143.jpg

Into Stillwater for breakfast, then up the bluff back to St Paul, and back for a beer at the neighborhood brewery.
IMG_4158.jpg
IMG_4162.jpg
IMG_6611.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_6534.jpg
    IMG_6534.jpg
    285 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_6639.jpg
    IMG_6639.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Bikes, beer, music and ladies.
:thumb:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Nice!

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Go Surly! My daily commute is 20K on a Steamroller YM 2010 (Meth Teeth).

TS
jmeb

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Go Surly! My daily commute is 20K on a Steamroller YM 2010 (Meth Teeth).

Lived in the land of Surly's for a long time. They are as utilitarian as they come and that is their charm.

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Lived in the land of Surly's for a long time. They are as utilitarian as they come and that is their charm.

Mine is doing its duty on the streets of Stockholm (not WI but Scandinavia). Also lived in MPLS a couple of years in the 10:s. The bike was bought then on 2on2. On of the best purchases I have ever made.

TS
jmeb

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Yes, OneonOne of course :doh:

They just moved locations. Sadly Geno's amazing basement of treasures is gone. But the new spot on S. Minnehaha has an awesome outdoor bike park with all sorts of bike contraptions for kids and adults to ride around on.

Alba Adventures

Getting on the lift
Skier
Wow that fountain looks like Bethesda Fountain in Central Park - at first glance - we thought you were riding from Manhattan - which would have been crazy cool too. This looks like an awesome summer event for sure.

Sponsor