Featured Trip Reports The best S24O in Minnesota (bike content)

Discussion in 'Travel and Trip Reports' started by jmeb, Aug 15, 2019.

1. jmeb

jmeb Stereotypical Front Range Weekend Warrior Skier

Seven years ago I was introduced to a little piece of magic. The Square Lake Music and Film festival.

In a fellows backyard, once a year, some 4-500 people assemble for world class Americana music and local films. It all takes place on a little hill, a small stage, and in a barn. It brings out all ages. Spotify playlist for those curious: https://open.spotify.com/playlist/7xRS3GVJj80LIreZ2Qhq0e?si=8ukV0XxPSNq16qRfW2K8qA

Some 2-300 folks bike out to the show each year about 30 miles out from the Twin Cities. Not only do you get a ticket at 40% the price ($15, no stupid fees), you get a sag wagon, fantastic food trucks on arrival, and coffee the morning after while you pack up camp.

I hadn't been in five years. I left the Twin Cities a mess of a person. This weekend my last summer was one of the few up moments. Flying back, I was convinced I had an unrealistic memory of how wholesome and good this festival made me feel. Some nostalgic bullshit.

Despite it raining a good bit the day of the festival -- it was everything I remember.

Simply put -- the best S24O (sub-24 hour overnight) bike trip you'll ever go on in Minnesota.

Photo dump....included are a few shots from the day before/after as I rode the Grand Rounds of Minneapolis.

(And @Philpug -- sorry I was out doing this when I should've been finishing the article! This week!)

Setup shot from the day before on the Grand Rounds.
    IMG_4012.jpg

Heading out of town...
    IMG_4026.jpg IMG_4037.jpg IMG_4038.jpg

Shot for bike gear nerds:
    IMG_4048.jpg

Newmann's -- the oldest continually operating bar in St. Paul (tech N. St Paul)
    58715287003__D44F9357-3B9B-4145-B746-B565C9847BEA.jpg

The rain opened up on the last hill.
    IMG_4052.jpg

The festival -- stoke for all ages
    IMG_4093.jpg IMG_6559.jpg
    IMG_4137.jpg

After hours jam session in the barn
    IMG_6562.jpg

Scenes the morning after
    IMG_4138.jpg IMG_4140.jpg IMG_4143.jpg

Into Stillwater for breakfast, then up the bluff back to St Paul, and back for a beer at the neighborhood brewery.
    IMG_4158.jpg IMG_4162.jpg IMG_6611.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
    Ron, socalgal, Plai and 2 others like this.
  2. Jim Kenney

Jim Kenney Travel Correspondent Industry Insider Team Gathermeister

Bikes, beer, music and ladies.
    :thumb:

jmeb likes this.
  3. Tricia

Tricia The Velvet Hammer Admin Pugski Ski Tester

Nice!