• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor
I am the head ski coach for our local public high school in Lake Orion, Michigan. Over the last 10 years we have had 6 foreign exchange students on our teams. Most were from Germany, Poland or Sweden. By attending a school such as ours your daughter would also be able to try out for other girls sports teams such as soccer, golf, cross country etc. We practice drills and gate training as weather permits from mid-November until the Christmas holiday after the regular school day. In January we begin racing two day per week and practice two days. We compete as a team and promote a team culture. There were 75 schools in the state of Michigan with a varsity ski program. Most of them are public and a few are private that offer boarding opportunities . Lake Orion High offers a premier education and is normally ranked in the top 10 schools in our state every year.
I have athletes of all abilities in my program. Last season I had two boys finish in the top 20 in Slalom and GS and I have some racers that had never run gates before. In my opinion, your daughter would fit very well in one of our programs and would be most welcome.

Karl
Most of the high schools in Michigan have some sort of ski racing program and have foreign exchange programs. The farther north you go in the state, the better the snow, skiing and race training.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Many public schools will be in a difficult financial situation and might be open to a paid international student. You would have to start contacting schools very soon.

Henry

Out on the slopes
Skier
Vicmoto, when dealing with the U.S. visa system...nothing is easy. Applying for a U.S. visa can take a long time, cost a lot in fees, and if it isn't done exactly right the first time you must do it all again including paying the fees again. There may be legal services in Spain that can help with the U.S. visa system, but---they're shut down now.

"The first step is to apply to a SEVP-approved school in the United States. After the SEVP-approved school accepts your enrollment, you will be registered for the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) and must pay the SEVIS I-901 fee. The SEVP-approved school will issue you a Form I-20. After you receive the Form I-20 and register in SEVIS, you may apply at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate for a student (F or M) visa. You must present the Form I-20 to the consular officer when you attend your visa interview."
https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/study/student-visa.html

The student needs to attend a Student and Exchange Visitor Program certified school.
https://studyinthestates.dhs.gov/2015/01/who-is-sevp

The student needs a U.S. F visa
https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/study/student-visa.html

The U.S. consulate for visa processing in Spain is in the Madrid embassy, except..."In response to significant worldwide challenges related to the COVID-19 pandemic, the Department of State has temporarily suspended routine visa services at all U.S. embassies and consulates, including at the U.S. Embassy in Madrid. Further, Presidential Proclamation 9993 suspends the entry to the United States of all foreign nationals who were physically present within the Schengen Area, including Spain, during the 14-day period preceding their entry or attempted entry."
https://es.usembassy.gov/visas/nonimmigrant-visas/

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
Actually, on the cheap end of the spectrum, Whitefish High School has an international exchange program where kids live with local families. They also are supportive of the mountain's ski team, working to accommodate the extensive travel the team has to do. Ideally, of course, the host family would be supportive of that as well. I'm not up on the current team-high school arrangement. I believe there is online coursework to supplement day time training for higher level racers, but the race program is scalable in that regard. We are, at the moment, relatively safe when it come to Covid, but who knows by the time school resumes? This alternative would produce a more "normal" exchange program for her high school years, with skiing thrown in. If there's any interest, I can get links for you to talk to about it.

bradburn

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Dear all,
I'm considering sending my 15 years old daughter for the next school year to the US, COVID willing, to improve both her English and her skiing. Canada would also be an option.
I would appreciate any advice regarding High Schools with a decent ski program. I'm not looking for top stuff for future FIS racers at >50k€ a year. I'd just like to give her the opportunity to become a (much) better skier than she is now, have the experience of leaving abroad, mature and consolidate her English skills. She is a fairly good skier and has been racing for the last three years although not necessarily at the top.
Any advice is welcome.
:)
I read your post with interest as I am also considering sending my almost 15yo daughter to the US or Canada to experience living abroad and improve her skiing. Similar to you, we are not necessarily aiming for future FIS so the academies are not really an option for us (and likely out of our budget). My daughter has competed in some US races and does ok but is certainly not at the top. That said, she loves skiing and is very keen to experience a season and improve her skills. Just wondering if you had any luck exploring more affordable options? Most of the recommendations in this post seemed to be in excess of 60k. A few people suggested host programs but I've had trouble finding information on these. Did you have any luck or did COVID put your research on hold?

TS
Vicmoto

Vicmoto

Booting up
Skier
I read your post with interest as I am also considering sending my almost 15yo daughter to the US or Canada to experience living abroad and improve her skiing. Similar to you, we are not necessarily aiming for future FIS so the academies are not really an option for us (and likely out of our budget). My daughter has competed in some US races and does ok but is certainly not at the top. That said, she loves skiing and is very keen to experience a season and improve her skills. Just wondering if you had any luck exploring more affordable options? Most of the recommendations in this post seemed to be in excess of 60k. A few people suggested host programs but I've had trouble finding information on these. Did you have any luck or did COVID put your research on hold?
Well... I have given a lot of thought to the issue, believe me. For the moment I've put the whole research on hold. I'm not very optimistic about the 21/22 school year and 22/23 is a bit too far away. On top, kids keep growing and by the time the COVID is under control my daughter will be ending school. I want her to focus on her studies to have good options for the University. I'm considering now the possibility of sending her to New Zealand during our summer break to become a ski instructor. Not really that she is looking into making a living out of it but it would be a good experience for her and might not disrupt completely her studies. I don't know....:huh:

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
Tremblant used to have a program for gap year. With Covid this year it didn't happen, but may be back after that. It starts in January and goes into March. Skiing, accommodations and some meals included. Most participants get at least their L1 or even L2 CSIA certs.

Comish

Putting on skis
Skier
Hi,

Bumping this old thread. Curious if anyone has any newer info on the 3 prep schools with ski teams that have been recommended above a couple of times: Proctor, Holderness, or Gould.

My 15yr old son is looking at them for Sophomore year. He wants to race FIS and our current program as weekend warriors from SoCal to Mammoth makes it pretty dang impossible... Between storms, wind, driving, he already doesn't get a ton of training in, then layer in the travel to do FIS in the west and that just seems borderline impossible.

He also likes to play soccer, do musicals, and plays base guitar. He had the maturity to state that the schools needed to have solid academics because what happens when he gets injured or stops ski racing...

Any feedback, opinions, or recent data on the 3 would be super welcome.

Anyone know where @Muleski went? Would love his input as he clearly knows that world, but seems he has gone poof! Miss his input.

Thanks!

4aprice

Out on the slopes
Skier
NMH is my alma mater. Great school but I don’t know that it is what I’d consider a ski school. At least not back in the day. Very well rounded though, for sure.

Couple of other schools with strong ski programs that aren’t ski academies are Kimball Union Academy and the White Mountain School. Both compete in the same league as Holderness and Proctor.
KUA alum here. We used to train at Whaleback. Lakes Region League. Was a different world back then. Bamboo gates and not as intense as it is now. Are Procter New Hampton and Brewster still around?

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
Phone:(802) 496-8835

gmvs is a great school. It would probably welcome a non-racer. The skiing is great in the Mad River Valley. This would be my first choice.

Burke would be high on the list, but they tend to work only with racing caliber skiers. Green Mountain Valley School would still pay attention to a non-racer.

They train at Sugarbush. A few of the coaches are from Mad River Glen.