• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
This is a area where I have some fairly solid experience, and may be of help. Both of my adult kids passed up the traditional prep school experience to attend Eastern ski academies. I'm an alum of a prep school which still has a very strong competitive program...50 years later. My wife is an alum of another, and our siblings are as well. I have served on the boards of two prep schools, and three ski academies. My wife has served on four, total. All in New England, BTW. However, through faculty and our kids, we know a fair amount about most every ski academy in the country. I have also worked as a consultant with a number.

I would NOT look into a real "ski academy," based on dad's post, as they have a unique mission, and the programming should be, and is, literally built around competitive skiing. It certainly is at the best. Those that were struggling a bit before COVID, and a few others struggle with that, and aspire to offer the best ski experience going, and an academic experience to rival the very best prep schools. That is frankly impossible, despite some nice website work on their part. I have facilitated a LOT of board meetings to get to the end result that it's damn near impossible.

There is a lot that she could miss out on at most of the ski academies that have been suggested here. By "miss out", I mean the experience that she might have in a one year exchange in the USA. The ski academies trying to produce USST and top level NCAA skiers are hammer down with skiing, year round. Not a lot of experiential learning. No trips to NYC, Boston, Washington, DC. No visits to the Ocean. No internships. No winter camping trips, no fat biking or ice climbing. No roommate who plays hockey or basketball.

More importantly, despite what you will be told, and despite the marketing, you can NOT have a world class coaching staff and a world class experienced academic faculty. Unless you want to charge $125K a year before any ski related expenses. Even a fairly small prep school {200-300 students} will have a curriculum that should fit with her needs very well and position her equally well to return after the year. Most have a fairly large international group of students, and as such have specific ESL {English as a Second Language } teachers that will help her if needed to round out her high level English language skills. They will have tutors and academic support to help with that, particularly her writing. Some have the option of an International Baccalaureate program.

The non-ski experience isn't typically even close. It's so much broader. But in only a few is the ski experience reasonably close. I believe that the current ski experience at three prep schools is actually better than it is at some of the struggling ski academies.

It sounds like she is not a candidate for one of the best, most intense ski academies, based on how dad describes her skiing. She might be miserable. And, they are generally not looking for a child to come for one year. The ones that are in tough shape are essentially in the "hotel" business of education, selling beds, and they would clearly make room. Some of the bigger ski academies do accommodate a small handful of kids who want to learn to ski race over four years, but it's a different path. You better be a great kid who has self esteem not linked to skiing, as you realize, FAST, that there is no "catching up." As we say, "you can't fake mileage."

The OP is likely familiar with the stronger ski academies in Italy. VERY strong. Like BCH is Tarvisio, where I have some experience. It seems like this path is not close to all being about skiing. I will also make the assumption that NCAA and high level NorAm skiing is not on the horizon. Probably not in her wheelhouse. That bar keeps being raised. I'll assume it's a one year experience.

So....I would zero in on checking out three prep schools, which all happen to have very strong ski programs. Learn to race, race against other prep schools, USSA racing, to FIS and NorAM. She can fit into the ski program based on her needs, and both have fun and improve. But she can have so many other options and support. Options in the arts, and such. More sports.
I have a nephew who attended one, and they had sixteen art courses. 16. Our son was art/psych major in college and his ski academy offered "art." We had to work on that.

I would look at:

Gould Academy, in Bethel, Maine. Gould is bringing on a ne headmaster this summer, an alum and All American skier who met recently has been the head of school at KMS. They have also brought in a new head of on snow programs. As others have mentioned, Gould is located 10 minutes form Sunday River. They have their own dedicated training space and dedicated lift. They offer some interesting ski options, one being the only option to become a "jacketed" US ski patroller/EMT.

Holderness School, in Holderness, New Hampshire. Holderness has a LONG history with the sport. Before Burke became the first ski academy, Holderness was one of THE feeder programs for those aspiring to ski at colleges like Dartmouth and Middlebury. It's a beautiful school, with high standards. Lots of tradition. Many sports options, as well as academic ones. The alpine team trains at Mittersill, the USST's east coast training center. They do a great job.
They just received a nice $2Mil gift, most of which is dedicated to the ski program.

Proctor Academy, in Andover NH. Proctor owns their own small ski area, and they have poured a great deal of money form generous donors into the ski program, with the goal to make it as competitive as any....including the ski academies. They have really done a nice job. In recent years, their U16 programming has been as good as anybody's.

Full disclosure: I have family who have recently attended all three. As well as CVA, Burke, GMVS, KMS, and SMS.

I might also look at The Northwood School, in Lake Placid New York. I am not as connected there. I do know a few people who are involved on the ski side. It's a very, very good school, and they are ramping up an already strong ski program. They have historically had graduates move on to the USST, and to become NCAA All-Americans.They are back on that mission.

There are a LOT of schools that offer ski racing as a winter sport, which would include racing in the New England Prep School Athletic Conference {NEPSAC}, and some more local USSA races. Kimball Union has been mentioned. Clearly worth a look. If you want to consider one of the top ranked prep schools in the world, Deerfield has a very popular ski racing program. Nothing like a ski academy, but the kids ski most days of the winter, race and have fun. Not sure about fitting in for one year.

I am assuming that East Coast might be best, coming from Italy. If you wanted a West Coast experience, one that is unique is Sugar Bowl Academy, in Norden CA {Lake Tahoe, Truckee}. Very, very strong academics. Very unusual programing. Exceptional experiential learning. And the ski experience covers a wide range. There are SBA alumni in the USST system today. Many well to do Bay Area families are involved with SBA. You would life in a dorm ON the hill. Lift right there. Very unusual. With more respect to Squaw, they are not the same. SBA has just brought on a new Executive Director, and they are doing a nice job. Despite the name, they feel for most of their students more like a prep school with skiing, than a ski academy. Plus, 600-700" of snow is not unusual.

The best and first public ski academy in the country is Vail Ski and Snowboard Academy. Day school. Have to be a resident. I know it well. Tremendous deal, but I don't think it would be right for this child. One other school option in Vail is Vail Mountain School, the traditional private school that pre-dates VSSA. Great school. Day school. Again not a good fit.

CRMS has almost no connection with AVSC. And Aspen has no real residential options other than a host family of some sort. Aspen High School is also in big demand, and might be an issue. Great school, however. Top ranked school in Colorado, I believe.

While the East is loaded with boarding schools connected to skiing, they are more of a rarity in the rest of the country. Rowmark in Utah is the ski racing program at Rowland Hall, a very strong prep school. But Rowmark is very competitive ski wise., and very small {under 30 kids}. I don't see it as a fit.

Check the websites as a start for those mentioned. Most are very informative.

And let's hope that at some point life goes back to some semblance of "normal," as ALL of these schools and ALL youth race programs are struggling with what happens this year. This summer, fall, and the entire academic year. And in some cases very worried about their future. They are certainly not all alike in terms of their financial footing and backing.

PM me if I can be of help, @Vicmoto. Great option to consider providing your daughter with. Lots to consider. Good luck.

PinnacleJim

Out on the slopes
Skier
Great post Muleski. I agree that a ski academy is probably not what you want. Too much focus on ski race training. A prep/boarding school with a good ski program would seem to be a better fit.

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Then there is the cost. I think the OP has implied paying 50K+ dollars for prep school is out of his budget, although knowing the budget would be a guide for recommendations. Most boarding prep schools I think are pricey, I am not exactly sure, my son went to a non boarding prep school that was substantially under 50K. Exchange programs with a commitment to finding a host family that ski races would be a lower cost way to go.

Muleski

Inactive
The cost is an absolutely real factor. And depending on the level of ski racing, it can run away fast. It is very hard to say no and draw a line.

Not many families are paying the published full cost to attend at least two of the four schools that I highlighted. While they are popular and doing a nice job with their ski programming, they are by no means turning away a long line of applicants for the total student body. They are going to be fighting to be fully enrolled. When times are tough, schools are often forced to make deals, which get rolled our as "generous financial aid." Sometimes, behind closed doors it is a lot more direct and business like than that. Such as "we'd like our child here, and frankly a lot of other schools are interested in her. We are only going to pay XXXX." I hate that. Really hate it. But, it has become more of the norm. Times to some degree play into it. And if you have a really talented ski racer, not a kid who ski races, it seems like many decide to have the auction....see who wants him/her the most. And then get the best deal possible at the school you want. It can work wit some schools, not all. Makes it tough to run and govern a school. The my kids were applying, 20 years ago, there were fewer options, there was plenty of demand, and unless you needed financial aid, you paid the full cost. And you were expected to be generous on top of that. Plus, the ski expenses are all a la cart. Then the number of ski academies grew, and the demand is not as strong. Pie is smaller. There was a time when almost all of the top ski academies were in New England.

Top quality prep schools, the ones that have great history, great cachet, great everything....have no need to make deals. Getting admitted is hard enough. Demand exceeds supply. If you qualify for need-based aid, you will get it. If not, you pay the full price. The prep schools with strong ski programs are not quite in as much demand. Holderness, I would say is still much in demand. Proctor has been coming on strong. The other side of this equation is that if you can and will be a "full-pay", you have options. But yes, the cost pays a big piece of this.

I live in a town in Massachusetts which has a strong public school system, and happens to have a wildly popular and successful ski team. State champions. When I lived in Maine, full time, our local middle school and high school were both state championship quality. A number of the nordic skiers went on to the NCAA. The alpine skiers, not so much. But many went on to play soccer or lacrosse in college. They had a blast skiing. The kids absolutely loved middle school and high school ski racing. The town did.

I have zero expertise or experience with arranging a high school exchange with host families, the public schools, etc. Zero. Not my world. Obviously people do....

Has to be a way, but I am pretty certain that nothing is happening whatsoever for this year, regardless of the school, the program, the plan.

More COVID related challenges. And minor ones in the big picture.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
I know @Muleski will have the solid beta on this sort of thing from the ski academy /private school angle.

But I'll just offer another perspective - you're in a great place to get your daughter into a school exchange programme - which soccer mad (or artistic) kid in US and Canada wouldn't want a trade for a period in Barcelona. I might even suggest that smaller ski towns in Canada could be fertile pickings - places like Fernie and Rossland/Trail might have high school places if you can get a family swap and are just boring enough that plenty of kids/parents might welcome the opposite experience.

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
Well the Aspen High School has a lift right into Aspen Highlands. How one gets in is another story. I don’t know how a foreigner goes to a public US school unless they’re living in the town.
Well, the Aspen school district considers foreigners (for schooling, anyways) to be anyone outside of the district boundaries. There's been an ongoing issue with people who actually live in the district being accused of not being eligible to send their kids to school in Aspen...

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Perhaps a public school program and living with a host family would work. The Sea to Sky School District has an International Program which includes Whistler. Lots of activities not just skiing.
I know @Muleski will have the solid beta on this sort of thing from the ski academy /private school angle.

But I'll just offer another perspective - you're in a great place to get your daughter into a school exchange programme - which soccer mad (or artistic) kid in US and Canada wouldn't want a trade for a period in Barcelona. I might even suggest that smaller ski towns in Canada could be fertile pickings - places like Fernie and Rossland/Trail might have high school places if you can get a family swap and are just boring enough that plenty of kids/parents might welcome the opposite experience.

From what I’ve casually observed, Canada and BC in particular are much more friendly for international travelers and exchange students than in the US. Whether it’s Whistler or Red Mt, there are more international travelers and staff than you usually see at most US resorts and mountain communities.

AlpedHuez

Chasing that Odermatt form
Skier
I should have included Sugar Bowl Academy along with Squaw Valley in my original reply.

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Google says there are: https://boardingschools.us/public-boarding-schools/

Big constraints will be (1) budget, (2) level of skiing you are interested in, and (3) academics/logistics. Admission may also be an issue.

I was surprised at the list of public boarding high schools and checked out the site. It made sense once I read it. Most of the schools are for blind or deaf students. Some are charter schools (which are public) with art or science focus. There was a small total number on the list.

There was a charter school that says it has a dorm for foriegn students. That might interest the OP

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Some of the top prep schools with race programs are at that 50k before the race season even starts :roflmao:

Skiing 1st, academics 2nd

Burke academy, GMVS, Stratton Mtn school and the academy at lake placid ( name is escaping me at the moment ) are top contenders.

Academics 1st and skiing 2nd

I’ll 2nd some earlier nominees.
Schools that she will leave with rock solid academics and be prepared for the future and will have had a great time racing, Gould in ME and Holderness and Proctor in NH.

disclaimer. I’ve Attended, coached or know coaches at all three, you can’t go wrong

Karl B

USSA L100
Skier
I am the head ski coach for our local public high school in Lake Orion, Michigan. Over the last 10 years we have had 6 foreign exchange students on our teams. Most were from Germany, Poland or Sweden. By attending a school such as ours your daughter would also be able to try out for other girls sports teams such as soccer, golf, cross country etc. We practice drills and gate training as weather permits from mid-November until the Christmas holiday after the regular school day. In January we begin racing two day per week and practice two days. We compete as a team and promote a team culture. There were 75 schools in the state of Michigan with a varsity ski program. Most of them are public and a few are private that offer boarding opportunities . Lake Orion High offers a premier education and is normally ranked in the top 10 schools in our state every year.
I have athletes of all abilities in my program. Last season I had two boys finish in the top 20 in Slalom and GS and I have some racers that had never run gates before. In my opinion, your daughter would fit very well in one of our programs and would be most welcome.

Karl

Pdub

best day ever
Skier
Sounds like a ski academy is not the right choice.

There are several private boarding schools in New England that are great all-around schools, academically excellent, and have very strong ski teams. The three in my area that come to mind are Northfield Mount Hermon (NMH), Deerfield, and Berkshire School. All are in Western Massachusetts.

I have twins in tenth grade at NMH. They train 4 days a week at Berkshire East (great race hill), race for their school on Wednesdays, and spend the entire weekend training and racing USSA. The older kids race FIS and do some traveling. There are pretty high level athletes on the team, with several making U16 Easterns every year. Many of these kids decided against the ski academies in order to get the full prep school experience, other high level sports, and of course the excellent education. Plenty of international students as well. We are quite happy with it.

NE1

Getting on the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I will add Vermont Academy in Saxton's River to the prep first/ski second list as well, along with the aforementioned Holderness, Proctor, and NMH Schools.

The "ski academies" don't really seem to fit what the OP is looking for. Also, as Muleski said, there are public high schools in MA that seem to strike the right balance. Not sure how exchanges work, though I believe there are some.

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
This might be a good source if you are interested in going West. Some of these are very well rounded schools and not necessarily geared toward a serious racer, but still plenty of skiing experience, including some backcountry.

Muleski

Inactive
We’re covering a great deal of ground here, and are soon to be beyond “all over the place.”

I think we need Dad to perhaps give us some more direction. For example, is there a budget?

Some of the prep schools are tough on financial aid for foreign students. Those without enrollment challenges are. They actually look to have the foreign students be full pays. It’s also not uncommon to charge an additional fee for foreign students to cover extra expenses. Normally about $3K. English language support is normally billed a la carte and is costly. I’m familar with at least $5K. Then you sometimes have a ski or winter sports fee, even for recreational skiing. It can quickly make the prep school bill $75K.

Huge horizon in the skiing piece, too. And some of the prep schools, you get on snow in the late morning or middle of the day. Ideal. Others, it’s like every other sport. Out of class at 2:00, on a bus, off a lift and on snow at 3:00. Less than ideal.

So the “needs” are very different if the goal is for her to see some of the USA, spruce up her English skills, and have a great overall experience including some ski racing.

I think knowing what the “some ski racing” is, would help. Were she not to do this, how much and how often would she ski, race, and train at home.

Another thing to consider are the vacation blocks of time, and how to plan for them. They may be different in the post COVID-19 world. School or students need a plan.

I can’t add anything without more. I also sense that I could easily offend at least a half dozen who have posted with good intent! Don’t want to do that.

All about fit. And likely budget. If you have no budget limits, finding the fit is easier.

Last edited:

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I think Proctor and Holderness are two good choices. Maybe Northfields Mount Hermon too. I don't think it would make sense to send her to a pure ski academy like GMVS.

@Erik Timmerman I have a friend whose daughter goes to GMVS. She adores skiing and the racing scene, but she's not "a contender" as I understand it. She loves being at the school, and presumably they like her (and her folks' money).

TS
Vicmoto

Vicmoto

Booting up
Skier
I think we need Dad to perhaps give us some more direction. For example, is there a budget?

Some of the prep schools are tough on financial aid for foreign students. Those without enrollment challenges are. They actually look to have the foreign students be full pays. It’s also not uncommon to charge an additional fee for foreign students to cover extra expenses. Normally about $3K. English language support is normally billed a la carte and is costly. I’m familar with at least $5K. Then you sometimes have a ski or winter sports fee, even for recreational skiing. It can quickly make the prep school bill $75K.

Huge horizon in the skiing piece, too. And some of the prep schools, you get on snow in the late morning or middle of the day. Ideal. Others, it’s like every other sport. Out of class at 2:00, on a bus, off a lift and on snow at 3:00. Less than ideal.

So the “needs” are very different if the goal is for her to see some of the USA, spruce up her English skills, and have a great overall experience including some ski racing.

I think knowing what the “some ski racing” is, would help. Were she not to do this, how much and how often would she ski, race, and train at home.

Another thing to consider are the vacation blocks of time, and how to plan for them. They may be different in the post COVID-19 world. School or students need a plan.

I can’t add anything without more. I also sense that I could easily offend at least a half dozen who have posted with good intent! Don’t want to do that.

All about fit. And likely budget. If you have no budget limits, finding the fit is easier.

Thanks for the complete information. I've been disconnected some few days trying to solve, inter alia, the summer camp of my kids. They were going to New Hampshire in some few weeks but the camp has been finally cancelled. :mask:

As regards the Ski Academy. After reading your posts it seems that budget may become an issue. I didn't know that Ski Academies were so expensive. I was thinking about 40k but I realize that this is too tight. On the other hand, my daughter is not aiming to become a professional skier. She loves skiing and got a decent technique but lacks the "rage" that I see in other young skiers. She trains or races every weekend of the season (+- 50 days of ski) and usually scores top ten but she is not a natural-born ski champion.

In this context, I believe that a public high school with a good ski team would be more appropriate. Having regard to the COVID situation I'm rather looking into the 21/22 school year. This will give some more time for thinking.

Thanks a lot to all of you for your contributions. Any piece of information is welcome to put the whole issue in its right context.

Regards from Barcelona.

steve pickard

Putting on skis
Skier
If your thinking public high school I'd look into schools in the Lake Tahoe region as most have race programs and Mammoth High School also has a good program. But keep in mind these programs aren't as intense as ski academies are.

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
Telluride Mountain School. IB program available. I was very impressed by a couple students that went out, without guide, to pathfind routes in the Cerro Catedral backcountry, out of a hut, before the parents joined.

For the traverse from Frey to Jacob hut, they found a route that was far better than what our guide chose. Our guide felt that route was to risky for finding snow all the way down, so he chose a route with easier bootpacking across a rock face. They, on the other hand, had scoped out a path of snow, making it possible to ski a steeper face. Our route was a long slog

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online

• Tricia
    The Velvet Hammer
  • Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid