• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

The B...B...Bad Ski Purchase Thread.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
What percentage of your ski purchases did you end up regretting? Don't just estimate, do the calculation if you can remember.

Which were the most regretted?

Me: 7/26 = .269 x 100 = 27%

Most regretted:
2013-14 Volkl RTM 81
2013-14 Blizzard Cochise

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Err, not the easiest calculation in the world. I've bought a lot of skis over the years. Using a notepad I was able to think of 88 specific pairs.

Most regretted, in rough but approximately correct order:
2005 Salomon Xtra Hot
2005 Fischer Airstyle
1998 Elan PSX
1998? Head Cyber 24X
2012 Coreupt Oneiric
2007 Elan MO2.2
2004? Blizzard Sigma XXL
2008 G3 Reverend
? Bluehouse MR2

+ 5 pairs of no-name Czech XC skis I got as part of an auction, probably made by Sporten but who really knows

So, counting the XC sticks as one purchase, 10/88 = 11.36 %

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
There has been a few, not many though and all were at least a decade ago. The one that always comes to mind were a pair of Atomic Bionic Team HV6 RS, late 80's. It didn't know it it wanted to be be a damp SL or a nervous GS ski. Hated that ski. Graphics were soo.. 80's though.
atomic.jpg

Google photo for reference.

snofun3

Putting on skis
Skier
%? Not too many considering how many skis I go through, but two that stand out in my mind are:

2002(?) Atomic BetaCarrve 8.20. My gosh, that ski could do one and only one turn radius, and was completely horrible on ice. Turned me off Atomics for a decade until I got on the Access a few seasons ago.

Dynastar Sultan. After having more than a few pairs of 8000's and Mythic Riders (and XXL's), and loving every turn, out came the Sultans. Tried to even like them for 2 days then got rid of them.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Speaking of bad skis... @cantunamunch do you still have those Elan Stealths I sent you?

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I still have a pair of 45mm waist Elan Predators, if that's what you're asking - but I think your pair wound up in other hands? These still have the original chintzy Salomons - and I don't dare redrill because there's no room for holes on those lifters.

I actually quite like the skis and I'm seriously considering rebuilding the lifters soon.

Talking of wack skis - remember those Fels Trinetics where the sidecut was mismatched to the camber?

Gerry Rhoades

mtcyclist rippin' again
Industry Insider
Hart Pros, probably 1963.
1972? Sohler somethings
But I really have no idea how many skis I've owned, maybe 25?
Bad boot purchases far outnumber bad ski purchases.

Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor
Well not that many. What comes ti mind is the Soloman Street racer 10. It was silver. Just an incredibly boring ski.
Then there was a Rossi Cx ? Mostly black, roughly 96-7 that was sort of shaped but not really. By the time I was going to mount it the next season I didn't even want to. Sold it to a patroller I met on the trail at Sugarloaf. Told him I had a pair in the closet, did he want another? $25. Just shipped him to him and he sent me the money with some stickers.

Then there were the race stock Volkl P40's in 198 i bought. Those were new old stock. Maybe 2000 vintage and bought the next season for cheap. Absurdly stiff in the middle. Full laminate ski. Never mounted them. Originally i wanted them to try super g but as time went on even if that was going to happen they were a bad choice. Sold them to a guy in Belgium.

Rossi Cs70 - great ski, lousy binding interface that had serious performance drawbacks.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Those Elan race skis that stenmark had... I'm quite sure his were very different. :)

184 Rossi T-4 teley ski. Length mistake. Shorter one sucked.

Gen 1 BD Zealot, the brown cow.. Planks.

One of the early Head monster fat skis. Stiff, no sidecut, etc... The only ski I've ever been on including DH skis that truly scared me.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
A pair of forward-mounted powder skis in 164. Skis were fine; length was, um, not right.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier

DEstrada

Booting up
Skier
In terms of percentages, choosing really bad skis for me is rather low.

Back in the 1997 (maybe 1998), I got back into ski racing at the club level. I bought a pair of Elan MBX SL race skis. I think that they were the 193 length. I could not get them to hold an edge well. I tried different edge bevel profiles, but those did not work.

Interesting enough, I tried an experiment suggested by the regional Elan rep. That was to ski on a 163 SCX Monoblock shaped ski in slalom. At the time, I turned screws for him at demo events. So I took a pair out to a competition, and finished very well.

The next year, short slalom skis were everywhere.

Dennis

SkiNurse

Spontaneous Christy
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Worse ski purchase for me: Head Jimi's, 171cm in length, 110 underfoot. Unless I was in a wide open bowl with fresh two feet of powder , there is no way this ski would do anything for me. Well,unless i magically grew 6 inches & put on 30 pounds.

It seemed like a good idea at the time.....
:doh:

TS
Lorenzzo

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Seems as though I lead the group in regretted ski purchases. When I got back into the sport a couple of years ago I was cut off from info and relied on reviews. Thus the Cochise and RTM-s which were my worst buys.The Cochise aren't awful, there are just better choices for me. The RTM-s however I learned to truly dislike when I got more caught up on current technique.

I work with a guy who likes the RTM-s for when he's teaching little ones and is doing snow plows all day. I gave mine to him.

Bill Miles

Old Man Groomer Zoomer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Some of my less successful skis in 55 years of skiing:

Early 60's--Several pairs of cheap wooden skis with screw on edges, cable bindings and a plastic base (not ptex) that would barely last a season. They actually sold stuff back then for DIY base reapplication.
Early 60's--Hart Pros with an anodized base (I was looking for durability after previous experience) that could not absorb wax or take a structure. Actually not too bad on cold snow, but real bad in the spring.
Mid 70's--Rossi 255 soft. First fiberglass ski, a revelation on how easy to turn, but I learned that stories I heard about fiberglass skis not bending were untrue.
Mid 90's--Rossi Mountain Viper 9.3's--First venture into a mildly shaped skis (others I demoed where too turny or unstable at speed.) Fine on Colorado or Utah softish snow, but wouldn't hold an edge on Sun Valley steep hardpack, even with a fresh tune.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Only 1 out of 36. That's 2.8% - Not too bad. I usually demo my skis so not too many blind dates.

The standout (if you can call it that) is a pair of 2009 Atomic Blackeye. Just fell thru the crack in my quiver. Skied it for only 2 days.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
My worst ski choice wasn't a purchase. It was a hand me down that I insisted on having.

See, I was in college and my first pair of skis were hand me down K2 Gyrators from my boyfriend. I think they were 160cm or something like that - incredibly short. I loved them. But when my boyfriend upgraded again, some time in the mid to late 90s, I wanted his old pair of skis. I was a solid low intermediate - an ungroomed black at Solitude brought me to tears - but felt confident that I should get his 190cm skis, which were Atomic Arcs of some sort (yellow, I remember they were yellow). He told me they were too long and stiff for me (shush), but I knew that better skiers skied longer skis, and I was sure I was a pretty good skier.

There followed several years of really searing Z-turns into my skiing repertoire. I would be super fast for about two turns, then freak out and ski the rest of the mountain at a snail's pace, Z to shining Z. But hey, I was skiing long skis like the advanced skier I knew I was!

I think the penny finally dropped when a class at Sunday River had us demo some new shaped Volkls, back when Ski magazine was talking about how shaped skis were a crutch for weak skiers. Gee, thanks, Ski. The instructor convinced me to get on something really short, and I swear I did a complete circle when I initiated a turn on a green. (This may be my memory playing tricks.) I did finally buy shaped skis - but they were 178 K2 Powers. Those weren't bad, but they should have been shorter.

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Atomic 9.22 HC Beta Ride. I thought I loved them so I bought two pairs, one for Alpine and one for Tele. I don't remember getting that much use out of them. I think other skis came along that caught my eye soon after.

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
I think every ski I bought (maybe 8 pairs) from the time I started skiing in 1981 until I finally got some instruction in 1992 or 93 was likely a bad choice (for me).
Since then the only buy I'd call bad was picking up a used pair of Mythic Riders that turned out to be so skied-to-death they wouldn't hold an edge on anything remotely hard-packed -- cost me a couple of days off with a back sprain when they suddenly went sideways 20 feet, halfway down Limelight at Sun Valley.

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider
Hahahaha.....

I'd say I may lead the pack here, but then I love gear & expirimenting:

My 3 Bbbbad camps:

1) These are cheap- example: 185 Scott Pow Air w tons of early rise & absent sidewalls- just some foam on the side. What could go wrong on the ice coast?!

2) Mounted em up wrong- example(s) 2003 uber tall race bindings on 99mm skis. Not only are they tippy, but kill my knees!!! 2014- yea just mtn on the line.... That's 5 inches behind rest of quiver- 2015 remount!

3) I'm a visionary!! What could go wrong gas pedaling a 285mm shell by 12mm?! Actually skied w Phil w these- shovels engage---> nothing else!

Sponsor

Staff online