• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

The Augment (Race) skis have landed!

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Following up on earlier post https://www.pugski.com/threads/scotsskier-moves-to-augment-skis.16405/

After a few hiccups, and thanks to @Augment Skis, my 2020 Augment race skis arrived and are ready to go.! Just had to mount the Look race bindings on the R22 plate, (R21 on the SG and DH), waxed and scraped and ready to go. Quality and finish is, as always, superb with a great grind (see pics) and consistent bevels. A great improvement on most race stock skis that need a full grind and prep before you ski them!. And, even more importantly, with Augment what you get is the real deal race room skis, something that is normally impossible for us mere mortals without the right connections!

3AE7F065-D258-4516-B403-66BA2CC275F7.jpeg

F1DC9440-B08A-40F0-828E-0EB16CCAC70C_1_201_a.jpeg

Specs and flex on my selection:
10D54326-7D43-4BF9-B7D9-47D723F7E0EA_1_201_a.jpeg

165 WC GS FIS slalom - 12.5m Radius, 118/67/103, flex 4
188/30 FIS WC GS - 98/65/83, flex 5
205/40 SG - 95/65/82, flex 5
211/50 DH - 91/65/78, flex 5

For bindings I mounted Look PX15 Rockerflex on the slaloms (they are 15 ounces a ski lighter than the PX18s, important for me on a slalom ski) and Look PX18 Rockerflex on the GS, SG and DH.

8426FE8C-D763-42F6-B8F9-B5D0AAAB36DA_1_201_a.jpeg

So, next day, straight out of the box I took one free run on the SGs to get the feel of them (felt good - and fast!) then jumped into a 35m U14 SG training course for a few runs. Now I have come to expect great things of Augment based on my past testing but still, Wow! I had not previously tested their speed skis but these exceeded all my expectations. Great turn in, stable and responsive. No issues even in a 35m course (and typically in Masters we see SG courses in the 40-45m range) and performance was well ahead of any SG ski I have previously used (and I have raced a wide range of different SGs from all the major brands). In fact so good (and so much fun J ) that, while I had planned to just do a couple of gate runs, I ended up doing 6 :ogbiggrin:.

Like all the Augment race skis they have that distinctive incredibly smooth ride while still having class leading performance. Think of them as a race ready Porsche GT3!
I don’t know how Augment get this “secret sauce” – aside from superb build quality and attention to design detail - but this distinct “feel” - of responsiveness, accessible power and smoothness – extends across all their product lines, not just the race

So, on to the GS skis to slow down (well, relatively!) and it was like reuniting with an old friend. The FIS GS seems to be unchanged from last year apart from the graphics and, as I have highlighted in previous tests, this is still THE best GS ski I have ever been on, bar none. And not by a small margin either!. This for me is the Holy Grail of GS skis. Stunning performance and response.

On to the slalom skis a few days later. The 2020 FIS slalom ski has changed quite a bit from the 2019 version I had previously tested and the changes were exactly in line with what I would have requested if I had a direct line to the designers. The R22 plate has been moved forward approximately an inch and, from a back to back comparison the tip seems to have been narrowed a couple of mm. Interestingly, the marked dimensions are the same as last years ski but, base to base, the tip on the 2020 is definitely slimmer. On the 2019 ski I found I had to move the binding forward one position on the plate to get it to work the way I liked it but I mounted the 2020 ski in the factory position for initial testing. Oh and the graphics -white topsheet with some subtle graphics – on the 2020 is, IMHO, much sharper looking than the black 2019.

Nothing like testing a race ski in a proper environment though! So, first run, straight into gates… ogsmile . And hey, they work the way I like them to! Lots of pop and power, hook up almost before you think about it and – as I had hoped – they like to get back in the fall line quickly. That was my one hesitation about the 2019 slalom, it came across the hill great but took a little more effort to get it moving back downhill. Moving the binding forward as mentioned earlier had pretty much eliminated the issue but the 2020 works even better, straight out of the box! A few runs in gates confirmed this. Definitely a new top of the class in FIS slaloms for me, beating out my previous favorite, the Rossignol Hero. After ordering the slalom in Flex 4 - based on having tried the 2019 in flex 2 – I had been second guessing myself a little bit as to whether I had got it right :huh:. And hand-flexing alongside the 2019 they actually felt a little stiffer!. Hmm? Had I made the right decision? Should I have gone softer considering my advancing years? Well…..I needn’t have worried! Flex felt spot on for me and the pop when you load up the ski properly at the top of the turn is awesome…

Ok, looks like Augment have knocked it out of the park again! Thank you Augment skis North America :beercheer:for your support and providing real deal race room skis!

One last test….and as fortune would have it the FIS International Masters races were scheduled for the following weekend…. watch this space...

Last edited:

Zrxman01

Out on the slopes
Skier
Great write up! Wow what a stable of hot rods.
(Our U14 moves to a U16 next year and these sure have me thinking!)

Augment Skis

Getting on the lift
Manufacturer
@ScotsSkier we have some new fans of the Augment Master Pro series of skis; Knut Olberg and Chris Maxwell both of Sun Valley. Chris took out the 185cm GS Pro skis last Saturday and somewhere on the mountain gave them to Knut. Knut came back and asked how he can race the rest of the year on Augments, Chris was close behind him asking the same. Chris took out his other skis on Sunday to confirm that what he felt was real. On Monday we shipped Chris some 185s so that he can race them too, Slaloms ship today. The word is getting out!

TS
ScotsSkier

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
OK, so, the real test of a race ski....how does it perform under race conditions....:huh:

Well, fortunately the Augments arrived just in time for the Phillips 66 FIS Masters Internationals at Northstar - 2 Sg, 2 GS and 1 Slalom. After my testing, skis were all rechecked, edges finsished with a 400 stone (+ 1000 on the SG) and, since the Loggers Loop course at Northstar has a long flat section in the middle, the SG and GS well loaded up with my race wax choice (includesd HF Graphite, GW25, Ultra and HFBW8 ogsmile sounds weird but works....)

And, very happy to say! 4 FIS International podiums in the competitive FIS Class 8 ! 2 SG second places and 2 GS second places. (Possibly the first Augment FIS podiums in USA??) Skis were awesome! (a huge change from last year when I had one of my worst ever GS runs on a different brand of skis at Northstar - that time I was so far out I even checked the timing tapes!!!) . Couldn't quite catch my arch rival but that was down to the pilot, not the skis. very pleased given that at the FIS internationals last year I had just missed the podium in Slalom and SG.

But what about the slalom you say? Ah, wish you hadn't asked....:(.. After the SG and GS I was faced with having to win my class in slalom to win the Western Regional Championship......and TBH slalom is not my strongest event....so, I had to go for it....and straddled...:geek:....ah well, as i tell my athletes, if you are finishing slalom all the time you are not trying hard enough....ogwink But again, in this case totally pilot error...

A great start!!

42DC0000-1F91-4EDE-ADF2-3856D3C6642A.jpeg
80577CA4-3025-4938-8A41-67E3C111EDC5.jpeg
3D931F06-3923-4F07-883A-83E5453E6CB6.jpeg

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
One word is always better than 2: unpossible.

As one old Indian to another: your arrows are better than mine. I'm still exploring my new Stocklis, but I see the first item on my list for next season.

Sponsor

Staff online