• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

The art of ice fishing spears and decoys

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
After @Philpug's thread about the work he did with my dad in his workshop back in Michigan to modify the boot press, (Here) I thought some of you may enjoy seeing some of my dad's craftsmanship building fishing spears.

Spear.jpg

He and a friend of his used to travel to fishing shows to show off their craftsmanship. His buddy was a decoy carver, who's daughter painted the decoys.
There is an art to getting the shape, and colors just right for fishing, as well as weighting the fish so it swims well.
When I was still living in Michigan, my dad would take me to the basement to show me the new (old) fish decoy he snagged at a flea market or fishing show or...
He would often say: When I croak, don't let your mother sell this at a garage sale. Its worth a lot of money because its a Peterson Decoy. Its worth 100.00/inch (often a 7 or 9 inch decoy)
Soon after I moved to Tahoe, my dad's friend Tom, who carved the decoys below died of a heart attack. His work is worth a lot and grows in value.
48DFA903-F758-4B32-85D4-8BA2F6B4325D.jpeg

DB5D91C9-22E0-4D67-AFAF-E952BAEF1EF7.jpeg

3ECBC138-30EB-496C-AC47-144E64338A4A.jpeg

B5137D8C-FA0C-437C-871A-7D0AEF4A7D07.jpeg

As for my dad's spears. The art of weighting the handle and making sure the spear will go straight when you get a glimpse of the fish makes all the difference.
Here is an article where one of my dad's spears was the trophy for the tournament.

Here is a pic of my dad and my nephew with one of his spears in action.
4F6E1731-53B8-4D5F-8110-0D97563E2358.jpeg

The tools for this sport are a true work of art. Art that I have a great appreciation for.

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
That's some gorgeous work. I've gone ice fishing (yes in CA) but have only gigged bait or lures. Never considered using a decoy, but that totally make sense.

Have even been to a spot where that probably would have been effective. Unfortunately for me, I was unintentionally in the water that morning. No panic. Just a cold return to the vehicle for a change of clothes. Ah, pleasant memories....

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
We only spear fished in the summer. Winter we always used the fish hut and lures. Well the cheaters used bait... :ogbiggrin:. That is some fine work though. It's amazing what people can do with they have passion and some time.

James

Out There
Instructor
Awesome!
Love that turtle too. Stunning.
Some years ago in NY at the American Folk Art Museum, I saw an exhibition of fish decoys. I didn’t know such things existed. Really amazing work.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I saw the thread title and figured you'd gone 'round the bend, but ... No! Learned something here. Very cool.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
After @Philpug's thread about the work he did with my dad in his workshop back in

As for my dad's spears. The art of weighting the handle and making sure the spear will go straight when you get a glimpse of the fish makes all the difference.
Here is an article where one of my dad's spears was the trophy for the tournament.

Here is a pic of my dad and my nephew with one of his spears in action.
View attachment 88725

The tools for this sport are a true work of art. Art that I have a great appreciation for.
Nice Pike!

Sponsor

Staff online