• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
Status
Not open for further replies.
TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Regarding the timing of the 2019 and future Gatherings...

The New England Gathering (NEG) has traditionally been in mid-to-late-March in order to get reasonable chances at a good combination of weather, snowpack and diminishing crowds. While nothing is certain in terms of New England winters, late March seems to give us reasonable odds.

If the "main" Gathering is going to a fixed timeframe (in Utah we discussed first week of March?), I'd like to see it encroach no later then that in order to prevent it from encroaching on the NEG. The "I'm going to take a week off and then more time the very next week" concept doesn't fly very well in all offices.

There's a large contingent of Northeast based members here... I'd like to see the NEG grow both for members that can't make the "main" gathering and for members who can attend both events.
Great information to keep in mind.

Uncle Louie

The Original Gathermeister
Skier
As for a second gathering "out west" don't forget about Mother's Day at A-basin!

I think that all depends on what happens with the agreement between Vail and A-Basin. There was a brief chat on that topic in Utah. Problem now is that many / most won't be on the Vail Resorts pass products. I suspect most will be on the Ikon pass. So if the basin goes to that pass, we are in business. If not, everybody needs to buy tickets.

Uncle Louie

Skier
Now, if all of you would kindly keep in mind that I AM ON PAIN MEDS right now, what about

Let's Go Colorado 5

to replace Mother's Day IF WE NEED TO, and run it in its usual first week of April time slot.

Phil, remember we DID change the rules at the table in the Huntington room..........so I did NOT just agree to GM any event just now.

SKI-3PO

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
As for Bridger day(s) next year, I think a day at the beginning and a day at the end would work well.

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Now, if all of you would kindly keep in mind that I AM ON PAIN MEDS right now, what about

Let's Go Colorado 5

to replace Mother's Day IF WE NEED TO, and run it in its usual first week of April time slot.

Phil, remember we DID change the rules at the table in the Huntington room..........so I did NOT just agree to GM any event just now.

What was the format for lets go?

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
As for a second gathering "out west" don't forget about Mother's Day at A-basin!
Mothers Day will happen again this year...Although with a change....which should be announced soon...so don't make reservations yet:popcorn:. Let's get through this year and see what happens with passes since A-Baisin is a free agent after this season.

Pat AKA mustski

I can keep a Secret
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I know that the IKON is new and ... there is that bad taste left over from the whole "epic" thing ... but, I don't think we should exclude all those fantastic resorts for the rest of ?forever? I would also point out that the IKON only includes 5 days each at Big Sky, Jackson Hole, and Aspen so I'm not sure that is really that advantageous a rotation. If I travel, I would like to ski more than 5 days. I would prefer a Big Sky/Jackson Hole combination. I wonder about the Aspen location also. It's not like the MCP where more days are 50%. With IKON, more days are 100% ant that's damn expensive at all 3 of these locations.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I think that all depends on what happens with the agreement between Vail and A-Basin. There was a brief chat on that topic in Utah. Problem now is that many / most won't be on the Vail Resorts pass products. I suspect most will be on the Ikon pass. So if the basin goes to that pass, we are in business. If not, everybody needs to buy tickets.

Doesn’t A-Basin have a spring pass?

I know that the IKON is new and ... there is that bad taste left over from the whole "epic" thing ... but, I don't think we should exclude all those fantastic resorts for the rest of ?forever? I would also point out that the IKON only includes 5 days each at Big Sky, Jackson Hole, and Aspen so I'm not sure that is really that advantageous a rotation. If I travel, I would like to ski more than 5 days. I would prefer a Big Sky/Jackson Hole combination. I wonder about the Aspen location also. It's not like the MCP where more days are 50%. With IKON, more days are 100% ant that's damn expensive at all 3 of these locations.

Hence having a couple days at Bridger, which is less expensive for day tickets. Or get the Ikon full base instead of the base pass. Or get the MCP and have the 3rd day selection at Big Sky. Right now it’s a toss-up for me about whether the MCP or Ikon Base pass makes the most sense, or for that matter, a 5-day pass at Big Sky purchased in advance. Depends upon any additions to the Ikon pass in my neck of the woods (which I don’t foresee but you never know), and whether I make any other trips.

Pat AKA mustski

I can keep a Secret
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Doesn’t A-Basin have a spring pass?
Or get the Ikon full base instead of the base pass. .
It's a toss up as to whether it's worth $300 for 2 extra days. It depends on if there are other plans afoot that would warrant that. I would prefer to buy a base pass and change locations for an additional 5 days.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
It's a toss up as to whether it's worth $300 for 2 extra days. It depends on if there are other plans afoot that would warrant that. I would prefer to buy a base pass and change locations for an additional 5 days.

You can certainly change locations, though not necessarily as official Gathering days. A few people tacked on days at Jackson before/after the Utah Gathering; I went to Sun Valley for 2 days before an extra day at Snowbasin before the official start of the Gathering. Yes, it’s fun to ski every day with a Gathering group, but sometimes you gotta ski to the beat of your own drummer.

I personally like ski safaris, but there seems to be a consensus to keep the location of accommodations at one place rather than have people relocate mid-week.

Uncle Louie

Skier
What was the format for lets go?

It was very similar to the national gathering. We had smaller numbers in those days topping out at about 50 people or so and for the most part groups were guided. It usually ran 6-7 days. I held it at various (sometimes all) Vail Resort areas in Summit and Eagle Counties and A-Basin. It was almost always the first week of April.

Quite a few skiers from the early days of LGC (2004 - 2008) were at the Utah gathering just now. Many still ski together frequently.

Living Proof

We All Have The Truth
Skier
It was very similar to the national gathering. We had smaller numbers in those days topping out at about 50 people or so and for the most part groups were guided. It usually ran 6-7 days. I held it at various (sometimes all) Vail Resort areas in Summit and Eagle Counties and A-Basin. It was almost always the first week of April.

Quite a few skiers from the early days of LGC (2004 - 2008) were at the Utah gathering just now. Many still ski together frequently.

My first Gathering was in Summit County during the first week of April. As a lover of spring skiing, I always wished that location/timeframe was be duplicated. LGC threads on Epic always were very appealing. I seem to remember the reason for the late season skiing was that UL and others who worked in the skiing business did not have to take time off during peak season, plus housing costs were reduced.

UL Hope you are healing well.

jgiddyup

Asst. Gathermeister--Utah
Skier
Well my personal preference for timing of The Gathering would be in the last week Jan/first two weeks Feb. Lodging cost in those weeks are generally significantly cheaper at/very close to the ski areas and less crowded . If staying in town SLC/Jackson then the cost isn't much or any different.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online