• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

That Skanky Smell in My Gloves

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have a very nice pair of Auclair leather gloves ( well several pairs) that have got a pretty good hum coming off them . Am I the only person who has this problem? I don't want to put leather gloves in the wash, do I? What are others doing about this problem?
I never wear the same gloves more than one day in a row, and always let them dry out.
Am currently experimenting with a concoction of tea tree oil, peppermint oil and alcohol in a spray bottle to try and rid them of the smell.
Any else have some remedies?

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I love the removable liners in my mittens to allow them to dry out fully. You can get the same for gloves, but they're harder to get back in there correctly.

They don't smell as bad as hockey gloves, do they? If your cat tries to crawl into them or your dog pees on them, get new ones!

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Heh...my skates and hockey gloves are not allowed in the house... :D There's no hope. I've tried most things. Ya kinda have to head it off before it becomes live stank. Once you got the stank, it's really hard to get rid of. For some stuff, believe it or not, soak them and then microwave them for 4 or 6 minutes. The heat kills the bacteria. Otherwise, you have to bleach them or use vinegar. The trick is not destroying the glue and stitching and fill. I simply had to throw my last gloves out. My ski boots have a funk now too. I religiously air them but I sweat a fair bit. All it takes is one poor drying session and you've got the stank.

Last edited:

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Leather is skin and as such it is washable. I took the liners out of my Hestra Gloves last week and first handed washed with a small amount of Tide in lukewarm water, the felt liners in the sink, rinse and ring out a few times and hang dry. Then I did the same with the leather shells. When the shells were near dry but still damp, I greased them with Snow Seal. They look and work great.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
Works like a charm, and it's cheap.
I spray my sweaty running shoes every time I get home from a run (in the summer); no odor.
Sometimes I remove the liners of those shoes and spray them only; works too, and they dry overnight.
I've sprayed my helmet with this a couple of times.
I haven't ever had to spray the mittens; they do sometimes get a little moist but so far there's been no odor.
Once a pair of ski gloves got rank; I washed them in the kitchen sink using laundry detergent; odor all gone. This might have worked but I didn't think of it.
5042833222.jpg

scott43

Skier
There are guys I play hockey with I won't even follow into the corner. You want the puck..have it..you stank! One guy smells like a hoagie sandwich that's been under the seat of your car in the sun for 2 days... It's a great tactic..something Scottie Bowman would try.. :D

SBrown

Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
There are guys I play hockey with I won't even follow into the corner. You want the puck..have it..you stank! One guy smells like a hoagie sandwich that's been under the seat of your car in the sun for 2 days... It's a great tactic..something Scottie Bowman would try.. :D

I used to leave blood all over my legs in soccer, and sometimes girls would back off a bit. They don't let you do that anymore, though.

Sponsor

Staff online