• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Texas

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
IIRC, it wasn't the initial hurricane blow that killed thousands in New Orleans after Katrina. It was the following days of flooding after the levies failed that killed thousands.. Fortunately, way more people in Houston and surrounding areas had transportation and open roads to get out before the really deadly stuff rains down on them literally..

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
During a prior life chapter I spent a lot of time in Houston and learned what a terrific place it is in many ways despite periods of difficult weather. Met many awesome folks, made a bunch of friends, some of whom visit me here from time to time. I also have family associated with the world renowned Texas Heart Institute and MD Anderson Cancer. A little bit of FB info made it out last night but I've gotten nothing today.

I had experiences building stuff where flood risk was an issue requiring analysis and flood improvements. Risk is based on 50 year, 100 year and 500 year events. Except for maybe hospitals and weaponry, few developments take into account 500 year or greater risk which by it's nature is theoretical and typically just not quantifiable or economically addressable.

So when an event like this takes place at or beyond 500 year risk even the media can't overhype how amazing effects can be. In fact they get frustrated as they run out of ways to describe things. For a little while they seemed to struggle in that they like to dramatize hurricanes by describing wind speed. That wasn't capturing flooding, the real threat, until they figured out inches of rain could backfill the drama. They're at times making comparisons to the New Orleans event but New Orleans was foreseeable. I don't know that this kind of water from the sky has been seen since Noah.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Things are pretty crazy in Texas, like Katrina crazy, but like @crgildart says, they seemed to be prepared a little better and took it seriously, not that Katrina folks didn't, but...

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
They're at times making comparisons to the New Orleans event but New Orleans was foreseeable. I don't know that this kind of water from the sky has been seen since Noah.

Matthew came ashore last October as a Cat 1 or weak 2 yet caused several dams to fail all around the NC Triangle and sandhills. Our roof started leaking and we had to have ceiling tiles replaced. It leaked when wind blew water under the exhaust pipe flash. We've been through several stronger hurricanes and our roof was brand new in 1999. Thankfully, a couple shots of caulking sealed up the problem, but that little problem causes over $2,000 worth of damage under it... all just too much water and wind where 20 years of other stronger winds, but a little less rain wasn't a serious problem at all..

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My mom lived in Houston for many years and I did for a summer. I have a number of friends their and 2 of my company's businesses have offices there. I've also lived through a major flooding event that was beyond any expectations. So far my friends are okay but haven't heard from my colleagues yet.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Astronaut, Jack Fischer has been tweeting from the International Space Station with photos of Harvey. It gives you some perspective of the magnitude.
Caption with image:
Jack Fischer‏Verified account@Astro2fish Aug 25
Oh boy – looks like a ton of rain is about to unload. Here’s a prayer for family, friends & everyone in #HurricaneHarvey’s path--stay safe.

DIEdLLFXkAE8MDR.jpg:large

Then on the 26th -
Jack Fischer‏Verified account@Astro2fish Aug 26
“Houston, we have a hurricane.” Our thoughts & prayers are with folks feeling Harvey’s wrath, as dawn breaks after a long night of rain.

DIKXHrvXkAEN9dW.jpg:large

Last edited:

albertanskigirl

aka Sabrina
Skier
I spent some time in Houston, and it's a fantastic city. I loved the people, the cultures, the food... I hope Harvey doesn't stall over Texas for too long. I was evacuated and my neighbourhood submerged in the Calgary floods in 2013, and it was awful - but nowhere close to this. Texas is in my thoughts.

Tico

Putting on skis
Skier
I'm here now. It's difficult to overestimate how much damage has been done, the photos don't do it justice. On the upside, disasters like this often bring people together (it certainly did in lower manhattan), it's nice to see everyone on the same side these days.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I'm here now. It's difficult to overestimate how much damage has been done, the photos don't do it justice. On the upside, disasters like this often bring people together (it certainly did in lower manhattan), it's nice to see everyone on the same side these days.

Hope for the best there.

As for rebuilding and making sure the new structures are sufficient for future catastrophic events like this?? Any bets on walking this one back??

Do your best to stay dry folks. Without flood insurance most of this stuff is gone. There will be plenty of jobs rebuilding though.. I know a couple contractors who are already making plans to be there in a few weeks..

Oh, fill your tanks... NOW!!!! Gas is going up 20-40 cents for the next month or so..

Last edited by a moderator:

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Okay, make that 3 of our businesses have operations in the Houston area. Can't believe the one I forgot given that I spend an inordinate amount of time working with them. Anyhow, so far all of our people are safe. I don't know about our facilities yet. I'm proud to say that 1 of the businesses has around 15 people out of town on projects right now that want to go home. Not only are we supporting them by letting them leave work but we are telling them that if they end up not being able to get home and in a hotel mid-journey that we will pick up the tab. We don't want them worrying about the cost and putting themselves at risk because they think they can't afford it. I work for a good company. I just hope they have homes to go to.

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
New meaning to the phrase "it's hard to drain the swamp when you are up to your ass in alligators"

The water is rising in Houston and the owner of a reptile zoo is very worried.
He managed to collect all the venomous snakes but the 63 alligators are in a large moat area with water 5 inches from the top.

The alligators are about to take off and they are hungry !!

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
^^^ugh!

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Houston's skyline is peppered with the local US HQs of some of the largest and wealthiest oil producers on the planet. The outskirts are home of massive refinery and cross national pipelines to refine and deliver that product. It will be interesting to see how the recovery and finance if that recovery plays out. My bets are on Halliburton stock soaring with orders to replace and repair all of that. Not sure what to expect from their customers though..

Is Houston mostly in the National Flood Insurance Government subsidized level flood plain? Or, is it mostly either not covered or private flood insurance as an option many don't have??

Snowfan

aka Eric Nelson
Skier
Less than 20% have flood insurance. A gigantic number of people will take a devastating financial hit from this. And its still raining...
rain.PNG

TexasStout

Epic Pass + Loveland 4-pack for 2021-2022
Skier
My house is dry, so far, down here in H-town. Was concerned Saturday night when the rain was coming down in a deluge. Water rose on our back patio until we unclogged the french drains and, thankfully, the rate of downpour eased a bit. Sunday, water rose up in the street and over the sidewalk, but stopped there. Had been without power on our block for 45 hours. Thankfully, a neighbor had a generator and let us run an extension cord so we could keep the refrigerator running. The water finally receded in our neighborhood today enough for us to get to the store for the first time since Friday. Was going a bit stir crazy.

We have three large office buildings in this area and all of them are closed through Wednesday. They don't want people risking it to get there with so many streets flooded. That's how most die in these storms is by driving into water and stalling their vehicles out, then either drowning in their cars waiting for help or getting out to be swept away.

I had talked to several friends who were ok, as of yesterday morning, only to find out their areas were all issued mandatory evacuations because of rising water breaching the levees yesterday afternoon. The neighborhood I lived in until last summer was one of those forced to evacuate. I had lived there through Ike and other neighbors had been there for almost thirty years and lived through many, many storms and major rain events without ever being forced out of their homes. Sad.

Been here for over 55 years and never seen the flooding this extensive.

Last edited:

TexasStout

Epic Pass + Loveland 4-pack for 2021-2022
Skier
Is Houston mostly in the National Flood Insurance Government subsidized level flood plain? Or, is it mostly either not covered or private flood insurance as an option many don't have??

No, much of Houston is not in the 100-yr flood plain, so many here do not have flood insurance. Thankfully, I do now in my current home, although I didn't a year ago. The drainage system and bayous can handle a large volume of water, but 43"-49" from a single storm is unprecedented in the US. Doubtful any place can handle that load.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid