• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Testosterone Increases Performance..Whaaatttt???

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
@cantunamunch personally I think she should be. Yeah, her testosterone levels are higher, but we are all different. In my opinion this what they are doing to her is like they would forbid anyone over 185cm play basketball, as they are too tall and short guys wouldn't be able to be competitive. I mean I agree some 160cm guy really isn't competitive in basketball or volleyball, but what the hell... bad luck, it's not like someone who is 210cm is cheating. Not everyone are for everything, and in Semenya's case... she's women, or at least I think those researches about chromosomes which determine gender, and based on which she was allowed to race as women until now, considered her as women, so bad luck for others. She got lucky with genetics, just as 210cm guy who plays in NBA. Even though in her case, and with all the shit she needs to stand, I'm not sure you can say she's lucky to be born with such genetics.

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
@DocGKR based on what's available on net, she had "sex verification test/chromosome test" which was obligatory between 1968 and 1996, but abandoned after that. Results of these tests were never public, but she was cleared by IAAF after these tests to compete as women, which in my mind indicates she passed them. There are some leaked info of this, and some say she has men chromosomes, but I sort of doubt IAAF would clear her if tests would prove men chromosomes.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Not sure how this opinion maps to Caster Semenya. Should she be allowed to run as a woman (which she was born as) in spite of her testosterone disorder or not?

I agree, it's not always super-simple. But some of the world-level podium pics I've seen lately WOULD make for a simple decision (I dug out your wigged cyclist link, maybe you can find a few pics from somewhere "out on the line).

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
So you would allow Caster Semenya to compete and disallow Rachel McKinnon's medal
Honestly I never heard of McKinnon until now, so just short Wikipedia read doesn't make me sure about this. If I understood right KcKinnon was born as men, and changed sex later on. If that's correct, then yes, I would allow Semenya run and definitely not allow McKinnon race in women's category. Of course as long as it stays that Semenya is women, regardless on testosteron level. If she doesn't have Y chromosome then I would consider her as women. Now does she have it or not, is not really clear for me. Based on some she doesn't, but there are some articles on web, where they claim that she actually has it, but then it's not really clear for me, how IAAF and CAS allowed her to run as women.

TexasStout

Epic Pass + Loveland 4-pack for 2021-2022
Skier
From a physiological perspective, individuals with a Y chromosome have inherent potential strength advantages over those with only X chromosomes. It is important for sports governing agencies to stick to science and not pander to social pressures.
Is it the Y chromosome, or the much higher level of testosterone during adolescence, or both, which allows males to develop such a bigger bone structure and larger muscle mass than females?

CS2-6

>50% Chicken Fried Steak w/w
Skier
Is it the Y chromosome, or the much higher level of testosterone during adolescence, or both, which allows males to develop such a bigger bone structure and larger muscle mass than females?

Howdy, compatriot.

Test gives you the muscles. Y chromosome gives you the test.

Sponsor