• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tessa Worley crash.

Ross Biff

The older I get, the faster I was....
Skier
I was watching Tessa Worley's crash at the LL super g and someone yells out " ski!" as both her skis go ripping past as she slides down the side of the course. Watching the slo-mo replay you can see her heel pieces and brake completely tearing off the ski/plate. Has any one seen this happen before? I've seen a few completely destroyed dh skis but never just the heel piece tearing away like that.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
I wonder what comes off when she hits the gate. I can't really tell.

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
Sometimes it doesn't really take all that much for this to happen. Pretty much everyone on speed side ski with plastic plates (alu plates are used almost exclusively for SL and GS), and with current Rossi plates (last 2 seasons) it's not really so impossible for something like this to happen, even if forces are not that huge. ;)

Bnet_Bandit

Plastic Slapper
Skier
When you think about how big the screws actually are, it's a wonder that it doesn't happen all the time,

I was just having this conversation the other day, it is insane to think of the amount of force you can generate with a ski and that there is 8 small screws that hold it to the plate.

Black Dog

Its all downhill from here..
Skier
Did you notice that her air bag deployed? Be great to see when it actually deployed. (The split second she made contact with the snow?)

skix

Out on the slopes
Skier
Tessa Worley was DNS at St. Moritz. Turns out she has a knee concern.

http://www.tellerreport.com/sports/--ski---tessa-worley-forfeits-st--moritz-stage-.rygBS0_JV.html

Giantist Tessa Worley will not take part in the World Cup stage in St. Moritz (Switzerland) scheduled for Saturday and Sunday, due to left knee pain requiring tests, announced the French Ski Federation Friday.

Worley had fallen heavily at the Lake Louise Super-G (Canada) on Sunday but was up immediately. "I was able to reskier for the first time since my fall this morning in St. Moritz, conditions were pretty good, but I did not feel my knee at 100%, I had some pain in support and I could not ski as I wished, " she told the media.

An MRI on Friday in St. Moritz decided Worley to withdraw from surgery and undergo a CT arthrogram on Monday in Lyon to better identify his injury and healing time.​

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Did you notice that her air bag deployed? Be great to see when it actually deployed. (The split second she made contact with the snow?)

Watching it in slo-mo, it looks like it didn't inflate until she slid into the fence and it rolled her over/spun her around. There are a lot of frames where she's not visible along the fence due to snow spray, so not sure of the exact moment. This is easier to see on the video, but here are some stills.

Doesn't appear to be inflated yet as she reaches the fence :
upload_2018-12-9_13-27-8.png

Hidden in spray along the fence:
upload_2018-12-9_13-28-36.png

Inflated as she comes out of some rolls near the fence:
upload_2018-12-9_13-27-57.png

Teppaz

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It appears that Worley was more hurt than first assumed. She’s injured her meniscus and after skipping St Moritz she won’t start Val Gardena either.