• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Might all be logical business practice but is not going to be long before people lose faith that the "everyman" Tesla is going to ever arrive.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Gotta love the irregular panel gaps @ 2:28 3:20 4:09 :eek::rolleyes::D

Might all be logical business practice but is not going to be long before people lose faith that the "everyman" Tesla is going to ever arrive.

If Musk can get 'premium' T3 units delivered at sub-i3 prices, he's got a bit of wiggle room, I think. There is a subtext? perception? of 'we're chipping away at this'.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Well there are problems there...let's look beyond the Model 3..the cash burn is unbelievable. They can't get them built. Now they've announced the "upgraded" Model 3 that sells for double the base... Because they can't make money on the base. The fit and finish and reliability are not great..the controls are obviously problematic. Fan boyz aside, people will only take so much of this. I'm not sure when the stock gets downgraded to junk status..

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
[QUOTE="scott43, post: 243981] The fit and finish and reliability are not great..the controls are obviously problematic. Fan boyz aside, people will only take so much of this. I'm not sure when the stock gets downgraded to junk status..[/QUOTE]

I've not actually paid much attention to the 3 cos we'll never get it properly in Yurp as far as I can see but that video review - fugly body then the interior dash is worse. Just about any Euro, Japanese or Korean box has better styling. Reminds me mainly of the Chrysler Neon.

TS
x10003q

x10003q

Out on the slopes
Skier
That dream that hooked all those people to hand over $1000 was the $7500 income tax credit which brought the 3 down to the dream price of $27,500. This will never happen and at this point it is going to be quite a while before any stripper 3s show up, if they show up at all. The smart people will be trying to get the cash back.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I've not actually paid much attention to the 3 cos we'll never get it properly in Yurp as far as I can see but that video review - fugly body then the interior dash is worse. Just about any Euro, Japanese or Korean box has better styling. Reminds me mainly of the Chrysler Neon.

You know, it would make for very interesting gameplay if Musk were to buy FCA...

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
pretty cool to think with car smarts comes risk hackers can hose you over ... not just Tesla, lots of fly by wire stuff in our cars today .. and for some time.

I know, right? Brakes are absolutely silly with software control - and have been for a decade at least.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I don't want one, no way would I wan't to deal with the center dash mount iPad'ish of a control panel, not to mention it's tendency to become unviewable due to glare, no thanks.
I almost bought a Miata from John Davis but changed my mind when I found out it was one of the original test cars.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
So, we are test driving a Model 3 next week and deciding when/if we will order one.

Here is a big thing: We might get the AWD. So my question is, has anybody driven the AWD Model S in Tahoe-like snow? I'll bet they've got the traction and braking stability figured out.

But just how limiting would the ground clearance be?

Erik Timmerman

Instructor
Are they delivering AWD cars? Have you read about their QC/warranty problems?

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
Are they delivering AWD cars? Have you read about their QC/warranty problems?
We aren't in a hurry. To the extent that there might be developmental issues, we are fine with waiting. Part of the question is going to be *when* we want it. But yes, they have started delivering awd models. Our test drive is going to be AWD, but, obviously, we can't test it in snow and ice.

In general people are very high on even the rwd versions on snow and ice. My main concern is the ground clearance. I grew up in the midwest. So I drove low ground clearance cars on snow an ice. It was never an issue. But this is Tahoe. My Pathfinder has 9.5" of ground clearance. The model 3 has 5.5". We can sometimes get "feet of snow per day" instead of "inches of snow per day".

As far as QC goes, at least a significant amount is activist investors who want to take control and/or oust Elon Musk. I know lots of X and S owners and a few model 3 owners. None have had any serious issues. I know somebod who got a model 3 in the 3rd week of production and the only issue they had was there were about a million OTA software updates in the first few months.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
Yeah...a Tesla short might be a good bet at this point..
This is part of the problem. 29.42% of TSLA float is shorted right now. That is CRAZY extreme. And that is down in recent weeks.

So many people are betting against them because of activist investors and market maker hype. They are petrified of a short squeeze and desperately trying to tank the stock so they can cover their shorts. But TSLA keeps failing to deliver disappointment.

For comparison, Chipotle, which did tank big time today, only had a 9.8% of float shorted. And that was merely over disappointment in how long it was going to take to roll out the new menu items!

There are issues. But you have to sort the sh*t from the legit. And it isn't easy.

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
I have been a closet fanboy of Tesla, but I am losing faith. The interior of the model 3 looks awful to me... with other manufacturers (who actually make cars) getting involved, I don't see a future for Tesla. Maybe they survive by making batteries for all of the other 'real' car companies. I do thank them for showing that BEV is feasible and that there is a market for them. And that you can make one that doesn't look like a wheeled toaster.

https://www.jaguarusa.com/all-models/i-pace/index.html

scott43

Skier
It's tough..I think they'll need to raise cash again this year. So another round of stocks? Junk bonds? I heard they were upping the deposit fee to $2500..so if you wanted to stay on the list, you had to cough up another $2500. That seems pretty dubious if I'm a buyer. I don't know how much longer good public sentiment can last..if they declare bankruptcy, which they may have to late this year or early next, all those deposit holders lose everything. I mean, they're building cars in a parking lot by hand with a forklift right now... I dunno..it's...curious...

Sponsor