• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Terminology question(s)

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
Well I didn't teach it the way the video does. Skis go into a slight wedge, moving the weight to the outside ski. As the skis turn match the inside ski to the outside ski parallel and edge the skis. Never did you lift a ski. You flattened the inside ski to side it to match.

And yes @AmyPJ , it's hard to get rid of. TG, we don't teach it anymore in the CSIA progression. Closest might be a Christie Garland.

Last edited:

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor
I am the master at this, and wish I could get rid of it! I've been working on it for 3 seasons now. My advice to those learning? Do NOT pick up this horrible habit.

Yep, flats.

There are places and circumstances when a stem Christie is the appropriate move. But it’s NOT what you want to do habitually. If you can’t shake the stem habit, you have not yet mastered releasing the new inside ski into the turn.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
There are places and circumstances when a stem Christie is the appropriate move. But it’s NOT what you want to do habitually. If you can’t shake the stem habit, you have not yet mastered releasing the new inside ski into the turn.
Yup, trust me, I get it beat into my head repeatedly.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
I skied Stem Christie for about 3 years in high school on equipment that was very, very different than today. Then in university I went on a ski week to Stowe (single day lift tickets were $7 but the 5 day ski week was $35 and included a 2 hour group lesson per day). The instructor had me doing parallel turns the first day.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor
At Breck, we call the loooong runout at the bottom of the Quicksilver lift the Kansas Flats

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@Bob Barnes The Complete Encyclopedia of Skiing has a ton of the terminology that you're looking for.
I know he has a digital version, perhaps he'll make it available.
Here are a few screen shots of things in Bob's Encyclopedia from your OP

I wanted to start a thread where beginners can ask skiing terminology questions.

A couple to start.

- What is the flat section of a trail called? One you have to keep pushing on your poles to get through and spend a lot of energy. Sometimes this is in middle of trail and often at the end of trail before the lift and just at the top of the lift.
- What is the word for icy lumps sometimes found on groomed trails?
- What is the meaning of stem in reference to turns?
Screen Shot 2019-02-13 at 2.49.45 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-02-13 at 2.51.17 PM.png

Sponsor

Staff online