• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tennis. The beautiful game.

SecretAgentMan

Putting on skis
Pass Pulled
Check out The Rocket. He's hitting all the shots with a 1970s wood racket. Lead tape days. Beautiful. Tennis has kinda gone the way of snow skiing, but let's not go down that rat hole. Watch Rod and feel good.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I do enjoy watching a good game of tennis. Used to play a little. My company is having an office outing to the U.S. Open in a couple weeks so that'll be fun.

Last edited:

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I played a little squash and a little tennis..have to say tennis is a nice game. I suck at it..but it's nice.

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Play almost every week, usually doubles. I'm a weekend hack. May lack in a bit of skill, but the purpose is enjoyment.

Usually watch only the grand slams. Gotta say, love to watch Federer play, when he's healthy. It's Iike watching ballet. The other male players just don't seem as fluid.

On the women's side, totally miss Justine Henin. What a powerful punch in a small package. Now, like the men's game larger, power players are dominating the game.

Thanks for starting the thread. Been wondering if there's other tennis geeks on site.

Mothertucker

Sweep Dodger
Skier
I feel like the thread title should be- Tennis, the game your parents played before they switched to Pickle Ball because they just had double knee replacements.

Go work for Red Bull..unbelievable schwag..
A good friend of mine is a Pickleball national champion, and this is not his van.
IMG_20180728_194131815.jpg

TS
SecretAgentMan

SecretAgentMan

Putting on skis
Pass Pulled
Play almost every week, usually doubles. I'm a weekend hack. May lack in a bit of skill, but the purpose is enjoyment.

Usually watch only the grand slams. Gotta say, love to watch Federer play, when he's healthy. It's Iike watching ballet. The other male players just don't seem as fluid.

Someone said that Roger played serve-and-volley when he was young and then switched to a come-in-occasionally guy because the game got too fast.

On the women's side, totally miss Justine Henin. What a powerful punch in a small package. Now, like the men's game larger, power players are dominating the game.

Women's tennis doesn't interest me much. Justine had/has a beautiful backhand for a girl.

I must at this point admit to all of you that I am a 30 percenter. Female professional tennis players are 30% as good as male professional tennis players which means that slams and other major tournaments should pay women 30% as much as men. We 30 percenters are not popular in this age of political correctness. My tennis idols are Lew Hoad, Ken Rosewall, and Ivan Lendl. I dream about hitting a forehand like Ivan.

Serena Williams is a phenomenal athlete and the best female tennis player ever. 3 things you can say about Serena:

1. She runs the 400 meters in the Olympics for the U.S. women's track team if she grows up running track.

2. She is the starting setter in the Olympics for the U.S. women's volleyball team if she grows up playing volleyball.

3. UCLA's "men's #2 singles" player beats her in a 3 out of 5 set match 6-0 6-0 6-0.

Ivan

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
3. UCLA's "men's #2 singles" player beats her in a 3 out of 5 set match 6-0 6-0 6-0.

The first two points seem like total speculation. #3 seems like it might have some basis in reality. Got a reference?
Personally, I don't have enough knowledge of the game to speculate.

That said, I never liked how Serena moved. Love her serve, like her power, but agility and grace aren't words that usually describe her game. That said, I'd probably bet against you in #3.

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I must at this point admit to all of you that I am a 30 percenter. Female professional tennis players are 30% as good as male professional tennis players which means that slams and other major tournaments should pay women 30% as much as men. We 30 percenters are not popular in this age of political correctness.

Your last sentence in your quoted statement is the only thing I agree with.:(........

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Tennis is a wonderful game but I have not played in years. One of the shops I worked sold tennis equipment in the off season. They did teach me to restring rackets, not hard to do with a machine, not a skill that will get many jobs but nice to know.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I had a Kramer and I was happy.
Perhaps that was just the ignorance of youth.

Jacob

Out on the slopes
Skier
I must at this point admit to all of you that I am a 30 percenter. Female professional tennis players are 30% as good as male professional tennis players which means that slams and other major tournaments should pay women 30% as much as men. We 30 percenters are not popular in this age of political correctness.

The thing you have to remember is that the pay in sports has absolutely nothing to do with skill, amount of work, etc. It all comes down to ticket sales, broadcast rights, and endorsements. So it doesn't matter if you prefer men over women or one sport over another; what determines their pay is how much money the spectacle brings in.

It has nothing to do with political correctness and everything to do with business. Women make up over 50% of the population and have increasing control over household budgets. Companies that sponsor events think that they will drive away customers if those events pay women significantly less than men for playing in front of similar crowds. Events don't want to lose sponsors, so they even out the pay.

You don't make money by angering your customers. If half of your customers are women, then it's not a good idea to anger them; otherwise, you lose money.

Sponsor

Staff online