• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tennis. The beautiful game.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I just watched Borg vs. McEnroe it was pretty good. The actor who played Borg was good, I just couldn't get past Shia LaBeouf as McEnroe and Stellan Skarsgård is good in whatever roll he plays.

TS
SecretAgentMan

SecretAgentMan

Putting on skis
Pass Pulled
The thing you have to remember is that the pay in sports has absolutely nothing to do with skill, amount of work, etc. It all comes down to ticket sales, broadcast rights, and endorsements. So it doesn't matter if you prefer men over women or one sport over another; what determines their pay is how much money the spectacle brings in.

It has nothing to do with political correctness and everything to do with business. Women make up over 50% of the population and have increasing control over household budgets. Companies that sponsor events think that they will drive away customers if those events pay women significantly less than men for playing in front of similar crowds. Events don't want to lose sponsors, so they even out the pay.

You don't make money by angering your customers. If half of your customers are women, then it's not a good idea to anger them; otherwise, you lose money.

Perfectly stated @Jacob. My sources tell me that 55% of women who watch professional tennis regularly on television prefer watching men. 75% of men do.

Call us an anachronism. Call us relics from a bygone age when the man was King. We 30 percenters stand united against the wave of political correctness overtaking our planet. More about us.

-- We want to slow down the game of tennis and bring back serve and volley.
-- We ski with straight skis and do not wear helmets.
-- We watch Father Knows Best reruns.
-- Our favorite song is Separate Tables by Vic Damone.

Lew Hoad Ken Rosewall photo.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Check out The Rocket. He's hitting all the shots with a 1970s wood racket. Lead tape days. Beautiful. Tennis has kinda gone the way of snow skiing, but let's not go down that rat hole. Watch Rod and feel good.

Borg was many years younger than Laver at the time of the match. Borg was maybe 20 and Laver was late 30's seems that the older guy would be at a disadvantage.

Uncle-A

Skier
I always like to watch the woman play and to quote another thread "They are more interesting". My all time favorite is Chris Evert, but there were so many great woman players in the 70's and 80's. Billy Jean King, Martina Naratilova and Steffi Graf.

Uncle-A

Skier
It's the 1970s. Everyone has a Jack Kramer and everyone is happy.

My brother-in-law played with the Jack Kramer but I liked the T.A. Davis - Imperial model. It is still around the house somewhere but I have to go looking for it. Think I have a first generation Prince racket around if I can find that as well.

princo

Getting off the lift
Skier
This is one of my favorites matches ever: Sampras vs Becker 1996 Masters Finals. Five sets of absolutely ball crushing winners from both players, pretty much going for broke at every chance they saw an opening. No 20 stroke rallys, no waiting for an unforced error. Going for the corners/sidelines with confidence. Power tennis at an incredible high level. Absolutely beautiful tennis.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Escapee from Jurassic Park.

Nice trolling though.

Jacob

Out on the slopes
Skier
Perfectly stated @Jacob. My sources tell me that 55% of women who watch professional tennis regularly on television prefer watching men. 75% of men do.

Call us an anachronism. Call us relics from a bygone age when the man was King. We 30 percenters stand united against the wave of political correctness overtaking our planet. More about us.

-- We want to slow down the game of tennis and bring back serve and volley.
-- We ski with straight skis and do not wear helmets.
-- We watch Father Knows Best reruns.
-- Our favorite song is Separate Tables by Vic Damone.

Lew Hoad Ken Rosewall photo.

Here's the thing, even if 55% of women prefer watching men's tennis, they still might get very angry if women are paid less than men when playing the same tournament in the same stadiums in front of the same crowds. That would be like two bands playing concerts in the same venue in front of the same number of people but getting paid two significantly different amounts. And as I said before, if women make up a large percentage of your customers, then from a business perspective, it's best not to make them angry.

As for political correctness I disagree with you, but that's because I don't use the phrase "political correctness." I use the phrase "not being a d!ck." When you think of it that way, it's really hard to justify behavior that would be considered politically incorrect, because most "politically incorrect" behavior involves consciously doing things that you know other people dislike or find insulting. That's just rude, to put it kindly.

I find it funny that older people complain about political correctness given how much they complain about other people not having any manners. "I hate how rude young people are. On a completely unrelated note, why can't I call people insulting names without anyone complaining about my rude behavior? I hate it when they do that."

When it comes to what you want to see in tennis, what you want is a contradiction. Serve and volley works best on fast courts. The more you slow the game down, the more players stay back at the baseline. What you want to see is a game that was played by guys who were under 6' tall and had practically no off-court fitness training. Unfortunately for you, Bjorn Borg and Ivan Lendl killed that game.

Last edited:

Michael Kane

Kano
Skier
Here's the thing, even if 55% of women prefer watching men's tennis, they still might get very angry if women are paid less than men when playing the same tournament in the same stadiums in front of the same crowds. That would be like two bands playing concerts in the same venue in front of the same number of people but getting paid two significantly different amounts. And as I said before, if women make up a large percentage of your customers, then from a business perspective, it's best not to make them angry.

As for political correctness I disagree with you, but that's because I don't use the phrase "political correctness." I use the phrase "not being a d!ck." When you think of it that way, it's really hard to justify behavior that would be considered politically incorrect, because most "politically incorrect" behavior involves consciously doing things that you know other people dislike or find insulting. That's just rude, to put it kindly.

I find it funny that older people complain about political correctness given how much they complain about other people not having any manners. "I hate how rude young people are. On a completely unrelated note, why can't I call people insulting names without anyone complaining about my rude behavior? I hate it when they do that."

When it comes to what you want to see in tennis, what you want is a contradiction. Serve and volley works best on fast courts. The more you slow the game down, the more players stay back at the baseline. What you want to see is a game that was played by guys who were under 6' tall and had practically no off-court fitness training. Unfortunately for you, Bjorn Borg and Ivan Lendl killed that game.
well played sir, well played.

Uncle-A

Skier
I have had the good fortune to have met one of the tennis greats and it is only that I have been around long enough to be able to say this. Years ago I met tennis great Author Ash, he was visiting Newark, NJ promoting tennis for inner city kids. He was a very soft spoken gentleman, kind to those he met and giving back to the community. With him that day were three or four Australian tennis players who's names I do not remember. I could only hope that some of those children (by now adults) still play the game.

TS
SecretAgentMan

SecretAgentMan

Putting on skis
Pass Pulled
Political correctness in moderation is not a bad thing. It promotes diversity and inclusiveness.

We have the United States Tennis Association (USTA) Billie Jean King National Tennis Center (NTC). The NTC has Arthur Ashe Stadium and Louis Armstrong Stadium. Katrina Adams is President and CEO of the USTA and Chairperson of the US Open Tennis Championships played every year at the NTC.

I propose that Katrina and the Ruling Committee of US tennis name the NTC food court the "John McEnroe Food Court" and name the main NTC parking lot the "James Scott Connors Parking Lot." I further propose that the "John McEnroe Food Court" serve the McNasty Burger. In addition to being a tasty burger, the McNasty will remind tennis players to behave themselves on and off the court.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
This is one of my favorites matches ever: Sampras vs Becker 1996 Masters Finals. Five sets of absolutely ball crushing winners from both players, pretty much going for broke at every chance they saw an opening. No 20 stroke rallys, no waiting for an unforced error. Going for the corners/sidelines with confidence. Power tennis at an incredible high level. Absolutely beautiful tennis.

This match was so good that soon after it happened, I sought out a tape. I have a really nice VHS recording of it... lol. Thank goodness for YouTube.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Soooo...yesterday's match. Still beautiful? I feel bad for Osaka. She was doing fine then it happened. Kinda takes away the specialness of winning a major open. I don't watch enough tennis to make an informed decision on the umpire's prior dealings with players. I have read he sticks to the book pretty closely. Seems like both players would know that. From what I saw, I think he was quite patient with the "discussion" Williams was having. The broken racket is just like football: you take your helmet off, you get called. Period. Everyone gets called for that. Will the perceived/real "sexism" change? I guess we'll see.

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I think tennis is still a beautiful game. After watching the Del Potro v Nadal match, it illustrated most of the things I love about the sport: skill, athleticism and sportmanship. There was genuine respect and acknowledgement of Nadal's physical stuggle from Del Potro. Even after the women's final, the finalist upheld the status of the new champion, ignoring the circumstances of her situation, in order to no longer taint the moment for the new winner.

For me, tennis is one of the more 'civil' sports.

SBrown

Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Soooo...yesterday's match. Still beautiful? I feel bad for Osaka. She was doing fine then it happened. Kinda takes away the specialness of winning a major open. I don't watch enough tennis to make an informed decision on the umpire's prior dealings with players. I have read he sticks to the book pretty closely. Seems like both players would know that. From what I saw, I think he was quite patient with the "discussion" Williams was having. The broken racket is just like football: you take your helmet off, you get called. Period. Everyone gets called for that. Will the perceived/real "sexism" change? I guess we'll see.

Yeah, that was unfortunate to be sure. Although, were I Osaka, deep down I might feel even better about my victory, having to go through all that and STILL kick ass. Oh, and Serena, methinks you protested too much. Both you and Ramos were, uh, not totally correct, but geez.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
That was quite a meltdown but kept me from falling asleep. As Roddick later tweeted men say worse things and don't get penalized. The real problem was that after 4 volley's she couldn't get her body to move to the other corner of the court.

SBrown

Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
That was quite a meltdown but kept me from falling asleep. As Roddick later tweeted men say worse things and don't get penalized. The real problem was that after 4 volley's she couldn't get her body to move to the other corner of the court.

Well ... I guess it depends. No, she didn't say four-letter words, but she called him a thief and a liar. That would piss me off WAAAAAY more than swearing would -- especially when I had done nothing (technically) wrong. And he IS a stickler, has shown that with men and women both.

SBrown

Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter

Yeah. I mean, inconsistent refereeing is a problem in ALL sports, and actually it's far worse in other sports than tennis. I mean, the strike zone in the Rockies-Dodgers game the other night? Seriously? Most of what tennis umpires do is pretty cut and dried.

Umpires are human, too. Serena was right to be miffed a little bit, but in the end, it was very poor judgment. If you know the ref is giving you penalties for just crossing the line, DON'T KEEP DOING IT. She pushed him, and he refused to take it. If you get a ticket for going 60 in a 55, yeah it sucks and rarely happens, but you were still speeding....

Sponsor