• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Ten Mile Canyon avalanche caught on camera

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I never noticed the slide path coming down behind the Conoco. You can see how much the aspens have grown back since the last time it slid. I think those trees may have had a bad morning.

20130926_161440.jpg

The bike path runs under the power lines there, and I belive the underground natural gas line is in the same easement along the bike path. The pipes just stick out of the ground in a few spots from my recollection. It seems they picked a bad spot to come out of the ground. Good to see the power poles seem have better placement, with the slide likely coming down between those last two poles.

That's a new bike path bridge over the creek they were building a few years back so you don't have to ride on the road in front of the Conoco, a nice addition.

Here's looking at it from the other side with the water treatment plant the building you can see on the other side of the bridge. The Conoco is behind that, and the avalanche reportedly came down between the two. Crazy stuff.

20130708_111022.jpg

Last edited:
TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Monster

Monstrous for some time now. . .
Skier
Meh - I'm supposed to arrive in Frisco Sat. pm. . .

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
In case anyone missed it, there was a large slide yesterday afternoon that buried a number of cars on Highway 91 right next to Copper and just up the hill about a mile from the Conoco:

See details and discussion in the Colorado Weather thread starting here:
https://www.pugski.com/threads/2018-19-colorado-weather-and-stoke.11273/page-112#post-335636

It was not technically in Ten Mile Canyon, but also on the Ten Mile Range, which has had so many historic avalanches in the last week.

Sponsor

Staff online