• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Telluride, as a National Emergency unfolds

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
Very few travelers at EWR this morning. Whole sections of Security were closed.
8BCC262E-6950-409B-89F2-D4A3A4792604.jpeg

The shoeshine guy’s business is really hurting. I go there just about every time I have a flight out. Gave him a 20 and didn’t ask for change.

The flight to MTJ is full. Very, very few passengers wearing masks. I think only the members of one family. Lots of folks wiping down seats and trays with disinfectant wipes. I’m very sensitive to every sniffle, sneeze, and cough. Luckily, not very near us. And, no dry coughs. Brought masks. But, not wearing one. I’ll hand one out to anyone that’s got a problem. That’s really what their good for, controlling spray, unless one has the full outfit.

I think infection control is just as much about protecting others as oneself. Kinda like avy gear. You don’t have it just for your own safety. You have it to protect others. Same with this. If everyone quarantined themselves when there are symptoms ++. When coughing or sneezing, cover mouth ++.

I’m comforted by the fact that, by this time, everyone is attuned to the situation, and that it is highly unlikely that anyone traveling to MTJ on Spring Break just returned from a cruise, from China, or from Italy. I am also comforted that the incubation period is 14 days. The ski trip is only 7 days. Maybe I should extend my stay and make the most of the trip. If my daughter’s school decides to go to online classes, then it’ll be a real possibility. We’re crossing our fingers.

TS
karlo

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
Very few travelers at EWR this morning. Whole sections of Security were closed.
View attachment 95962

The shoeshine guy’s business is really hurting. I go there just about every time I have a flight out. Gave him a 20 and didn’t ask for change.

The flight to MTJ is full. Very, very few passengers wearing masks. I think only the members of one family. Lots of folks wiping down seats and trays with disinfectant wipes. I’m very sensitive to every sniffle, sneeze, and cough. Luckily, not very near us. And, no dry coughs. Brought masks. But, not wearing one. I’ll hand one out to anyone that’s got a problem. That’s really what their good for, controlling spray, unless one has the full outfit.

I think infection control is just as much about protecting others as oneself. Kinda like avy gear. You don’t have it just for your own safety. You have it to protect others. Same with this. If everyone quarantined themselves when there are symptoms ++. When coughing or sneezing, cover mouth ++.

I’m comforted by the fact that, by this time, everyone is attuned to the situation, and that it is highly unlikely that anyone traveling to MTJ on Spring Break just returned from a cruise, from China, or from Italy. I am also comforted that the incubation period is 14 days. The ski trip is only 7 days. Maybe I should extend my stay and make the most of the trip. If my daughter’s school decides to go to online classes, then it’ll be a real possibility. We’re crossing our fingers.

Tomorrow, we return home after a week at Telluride. Here is a kind-a trip report.

Got both alpine boots and touring boots fixed by a bootfitter par excellence, Bob Gleason, at Boot Doctor's in Mountain Village. While waiting for Bob, his wife, Penelope, introduced me to what a Telluride Mule and she also gave me, from their apparently-plentiful stock, after I told her it was sold out everywhere, a bottle of Purell hand sanitizer (worth its weight in gold). She also took the opportunity to share with me the 3D art work that one of the local artists is doing and is exhibiting. Penelope is the chairman of Telluride Arts District, https://www.telluridearts.org

Excellent dinners at Taco del Gnar (I love the cod with wasabi aioli), Smuggler's (can't go wrong with the cheeseburger), Butcher & Baker (always amazing for breakfast and lunch, now I know also for dinner), Wood Ear (new ramen restaurant, vegans go for the mushroom ramen), and National (amazing roasted branzino for two).

Did some shopping. Dropped in at Telluride Arts' office of course. Found a nice painting. Earrings for my wife, by the same jeweler that she bought a ring from a couple years back. T-shirt that my daughter likes. Was told to find a pair of sweatpants for my son. Couldn't find one, but found the next best thing, a sweatsuit!

Sweatpants for Spencer 1.jpg

Best thing about it,

Sweatpants for Spencer 2.jpg

Just wear gloves and booties, and my son will be well protected from the corona virus.

Had to ditch the hike up to Palmyra peak and the associated skiing. My daughter strained a knee. Plus, my left hip was acting up as well, resulting in my using my left QL in the bumps. I can tell when the QL gets sore. Instead of Palmyra Peak, we worked with our instructor-guide on our skiing. My daughter wanted to work on her turns on steeper and harder (yes, it was pretty hardpacked on Bushwacker through Wednesday; we loved it) Me, I wanted to work on PSIA Level 3 skiing tasks. We worked on

Hop Turns

and White Pass turns,

I learned that hop turns are definitely not something one ought to do, in a PSIA exam, with heavy 180 Blizzard Brahma's. My new Blizzard Firebird HRC's are just the thing,
Better yet would be the Blizzard Zero-G 85, oh-so light,
I even brought them with me, for the hike up Palmyra peak. But, a super-light, stiff, 22 m radius touring ski would not be ideal for other tasks, like short turns and moguls.

As for the White Pass turns, good thing I worked on that with an instructor. I was attempting a reverse-White Pass turn. Actually started to get it, then she had me start all over again, the correct way. Luckily, that's somewhat easier.

Our instructor began to have a dry cough during lunch. Yup, one of the coronavirus symptoms. I learned later that my daughter noticed it too. The cough continued on the chairlift. I held my breath each time and was glad that she was downwind of both of us; and she covered her mouth. Can't be too critical. My daughter started having sneezing fits the last couple days, down at town-elevation. Some flowers are blossoming. Likely her allergy to pollen. The sneezing subsides at higher elevation.

Hand sanitizer is sold out at home My wife wants to DIY it, but can't find aloe either. Here at Telluride, I was able to purchase several bottles (all told about a gallon) of aloe. Luckily, my company has plenty of isopropyl alcohol.

Today, our last day, it snowed. Not just a dusting, a real snowfall. We stayed away from Revelation Bowl on account of visibility, The glades at Apex chair were amazing, and great shelter from the gusting winds. Bushwacker was super amazing, because Lift 9, which serves it, was closed for mechanical problems. That means, it's a hike, though a very short and shallow one, but enough to dissuade the vast, vast majority. We got there at about 10:30, having had a bit of a late start, then having to take the gondola from town, then up Village Express, to Polar Queen, to Apex Chair, then glide with as much speed as possible to Guiseppe's (did I mention, we had a great lunch there the other day), then the hike. My daughter and I were the third and fourth skier dropping into Bushwacker. Yes, I was the fourth; no friends (or family) on a powder day.

Tomorrow is our flight home. Still have the masks I brought with us. Again, planning on giving them to whoever is exhibiting symptoms. Could not find disinfectant wipes at stores here. But, housekeeping has them and they will give me a few when we check out. I'll tuck them into a ziplok bag that I have handy.

Wednesday, my daughter learned that she will have an extra week of Spring Break, after which classes will be held online. The college has also asked students to not return to pick up things. Nevertheless, we will, so that she can pickup her text books. The school has also cancelled her summer abroad program. So, she is now in search of an RA or internship. Anyone have anything? She is a sophomore, majoring in Physics, minoring in Architecture. She would like to find something in the field of Physics.

Yesterday, we learned that my son's high school closed that day, rather than today, for their two week Spring Break. No tennis pre-season practice and try-outs. Classes may be online when Break ends. College tours that we were planning on are out the window too. Many have discontinued them. And, as for others, we aren't keen on travelling now.

Also, a director at the CDC recommended that those over 60 stockpile food and plan on isolation for some period. When I get home, I'll be shopping and "hoarding" for my parents, who are in their 90's, one with diabetes,

Much has changed in one week, from the time we left home for Telluride. My previous post, above, was much more lighthearted, bordering on flippant. The return is feeling much more harrowing.

Last edited:

Spooky

Getting off the lift
Skier
You can search the NSF site for REUs across the US but I would think they are already in the process of being awarded. They may not even happen at all! A sophomore summer with no REU isn't going to hurt anybody. Pick up Griffiths' Intro to Quantum Mechanics and Electrodynamics (solutions easily found) and linear algebra book and self study.

TS
karlo

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
Good you got out @karlo . Big things happening in the world right now. Telluride is now closed indefinitely and the National Guard is moving in tomorrow to help administer testing for Coronavirus - https://tellmed.org/news/2020/3/15/national-guard-in-telluride-to-help-with-testing. Glad they have access to testing in San Miguel County.....

Hmmm, now I am more worried. First, the cough our instructor had. Second, there was a curious set of events at a coffee shop we were at. We had ended the day early and were enjoying a cup of coffee and each getting some work done on our laptops when, suddenly we noticed we were the only ones left except the owner. She explained she was closing early because she had to send an employee home early for a “family matter”, as she was throwing out trash and looking somewhat agitated. A couple days later, we were there again and the owner now wore disposable gloves. I’m wondering what the employee’s family matter.

Also, reading this,
I don’t see mention of the National Guard descending on any other resort community.

Sponsor