• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tell Us About Your Taos Ski Week

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
P.S. I never even found you at Taos, let alone kept up.

Maybe next time, but many do not find me, I'm not a 'pack' skier, I do wait at the lift :) (or get in another run)
I've skied w/many on here who could vouch for my skiing and opinion relating to steep and speed.
actually you need to learn to ski well, finish turns at slow speed before you can ski well at fast speed (IMO)

I hear you on not taking forum opinions, oh how I've been really shocked at posts vs reality!

Back to the thread.Trail Ratings: I agree, marketing does play into rating trails.
At Revy there are 2 trails at the top of Stoke chair Right Next to each other. LMAO- the Blue to me seemed exactly same pitch/length as the Black but told is 'occasionally groomed' so it's blue. Anyone liking steep and challenge will like Revy-

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Oh boy. Yes, the snow is better out 'west' but we do have our moments. The one I recall in particular beside this January at Alpental (Crystal was much better/softer as it's higher) was our non winter season a few years back. Green Valley lift at Crystal was about the only thing open in the region. There were 2 weeks that were like injected snow. All the region races and training were held there. The daughter of an ex-USST member mom was saying that it was the hardest snow she'd ever skied. Mom says, "if you go very far in this (racing) thing, you have to deal with it. This is normal out east." Many slides were seen those couple of weeks. But yes, I'd never move back east for the skiing. If that's the point, Paul, you win. :roflmao:

Last edited:

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
@mdf

Are there all levels for all weeks. I've never been but looking to the future. We've skied together, how does terrain at Taos compare to Highline at Killington for example. I've since gone down a few of the blacks at Bromley and ski Magic on a regular basis. GIS said I've gotten better since last year and the steeps I go down now are a lot steeper than trails/years past. I am sure I'd be fine at Taos, I'd stick with greens and blues whatever that means.

I've skied with many on here in the past couple of years and I've worked very hard to ski well and consider myself the queen of slow and controlled skiing. My goal has never been to ski fast. A wise woman on here told me to just keep working on technique and the speed will come, she was right :). Thank you @Wendy I'm still not fast, that's never my goal but I've gained confidence and as a result of hard work the speed has naturally picked up some. That said I'm all about slow, controlled and completed turns. I'd definitely learned to not take much weight on an opinion unless I trust and respect the person because otherwise it's just an opinion. Lake Louise is one of my favorite mountains. I've been scared of Taos it the past but I've also been scared of Magic and I now ski here regularly. I have been told this past season that I under estimate my ability and with my slow and controlled skiing "demeanor" can get down just about anything. I just need to work on the mental aspect of when I get freaked on a steep but I think after a couple privates with Mermer I'll be just fine.

I am hopeful there are intermediate sections for ski week. I have gotten a lot better as a skier because of skiing in groups. The past 2 seasons have been game changers for me. I do prefer to ski in smaller groups 3-4 skiers so how do the groups at ski week compare to this?

TS
mdf

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I am hopeful there are intermediate sections for ski week. ...I do prefer to ski in smaller groups 3-4 skiers so how do the groups at ski week compare to this?
Sure, there are ski weeks for all levels. I'm sure there are groups for you.
I forget the target number of students per group, I think it is probably 4, or maybe 5. Last year we had people asking to join our group. Combine that with an unexpectedly busy week, and we wound up with more students than normal, and more than most groups.

We've skied together, how does terrain at Taos compare to Highline at Killington for example. I've since gone down a few of the blacks at Bromley and ski Magic on a regular basis.
I think you've let history color your perceptions. I think the blacks at Magic are slightly harder than Highline at Killington. (Just refreshed my memory with the trail map -- not many blacks at Magic, Kinda a jump from blue to double black.) The blacks at either would probably be a blue at Taos, and the doubles would be singles.

I just need to work on the mental aspect of when I get freaked on a steep
Yep, that's a big part of it. You've got the foundation.

Jimski

Getting on the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Just go and find your other post, report it, and include a link to this thread. Otherwise, someone else does that as a volunteer.

It's already been moved. Thanks to whoever did that! Now, do we enter an infinite regression of needing to remove my request to move? :eek:

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@mdf

Are there all levels for all weeks. I've never been but looking to the future. We've skied together, how does terrain at Taos compare to Highline at Killington for example. I've since gone down a few of the blacks at Bromley and ski Magic on a regular basis. GIS said I've gotten better since last year and the steeps I go down now are a lot steeper than trails/years past. I am sure I'd be fine at Taos, I'd stick with greens and blues whatever that means.

I've skied with many on here in the past couple of years and I've worked very hard to ski well and consider myself the queen of slow and controlled skiing. My goal has never been to ski fast. A wise woman on here told me to just keep working on technique and the speed will come, she was right :). Thank you @Wendy I'm still not fast, that's never my goal but I've gained confidence and as a result of hard work the speed has naturally picked up some. That said I'm all about slow, controlled and completed turns. I'd definitely learned to not take much weight on an opinion unless I trust and respect the person because otherwise it's just an opinion. Lake Louise is one of my favorite mountains. I've been scared of Taos it the past but I've also been scared of Magic and I now ski here regularly. I have been told this past season that I under estimate my ability and with my slow and controlled skiing "demeanor" can get down just about anything. I just need to work on the mental aspect of when I get freaked on a steep but I think after a couple privates with Mermer I'll be just fine.

I am hopeful there are intermediate sections for ski week. I have gotten a lot better as a skier because of skiing in groups. The past 2 seasons have been game changers for me. I do prefer to ski in smaller groups 3-4 skiers so how do the groups at ski week compare to this?

@surfsnowgirl I probably ski slower now than in year’s past! I am more interested in tactics and technique. For me, a big part of what’ I now need for really steep/ technical is mental, and mileage. I use Alta as my practice place as it’s easy to get to and I have a fabulous instructor there.

I have been to Taos in summer...I have hiked a lot in the Sangre de Cristos. It looks pretty intimidating, but that’s the view from the base. I am sure you’d find a compatible group, no problem.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
@surfsnowgirl I probably ski slower now than in year’s past! I am more interested in tactics and technique. For me, a big part of what’ I now need for really steep/ technical is mental, and mileage. I use Alta as my practice place as it’s easy to get to and I have a fabulous instructor there.

I have been to Taos in summer...I have hiked a lot in the Sangre de Cristos. It looks pretty intimidating, but that’s the view from the base. I am sure you’d find a compatible group, no problem.

It's interesting mentioning hiking ski terrain in the summer. Speaking only for myself, the summer version always seems much steeper.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
@mdf

Yes, there are ski week groups for all levels every week. Taos rate their ski week groups on a scale of 1 to 10. From what I can see, you probably fit into one of the level 8 groups. Lots of level 8 groups every week. No need to worry.

The groups usually max out at 7 student per group on holiday and really busy weeks. That is two full quad chairs. Most non-holiday weeks, generally 3 to 5 students per group.

I had a Killington pass for eight seasons and spent lots of time at Taos, Including several seasons. I can say I am pretty familiar with both places. I don’t believe there are any point in comparing the terrain available at both resorts. The comparison is not relevant to the concept of a ski week. Most skiers participate in a ski week to find improvements in both technique and tactic. To ski more efficiently with reduced effort. Often, your instructor will take you into some slightly more challenging terrain to allow your group some room to express your new found abilities. Your instructor is the key in the ski week experience. Talk to them. Express your goals and reservations. They will try their best to make it a memorable experience. Sometimes they will succeed and sometimes they will fall short. Nevertheless, you will have a good time.

On a side note, I have noticed you often apologize for skiing slow and in control. In my book, slow and in control is good. Fast skiing does not always equate to good skiing. Often it is the opposite.

If your schedule permits, come to the 2020 Pugski Taos mini-gathering. I have that penciled in for the last week in January. There will be a whole bunch of us there. It will be fun.

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Make it snow!

Edit: the only thing I don't like about Taos is the inconsistent snow, especially that early.

We don't need no stinkin' snow. Snow is so over rated.
Bring a pair of FIS SL and you are good to go.

You CO boys are soft skiing all that good snow. Man up, fly east and ski the crappy ice with Paul. Suffering is good for the soul.

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
We don't need no stinkin' snow. Snow is so over rated.
Bring a pair of FIS SL and you are good to go.

You CO boys are soft skiing all that good snow. Man up, fly east and ski the crappy ice with Paul. Suffering is good for the soul.
Do you know what we call hard icy days in Colorado? Recovery days...

Nah, hard snow is great! It provides feedback for your technique.

Mike

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
There is no requirement for recovery days if one skis sustainably.
But then sustainable skiing usually requires an inner peace not often found.

VickieH

Contrarian
Skier
there are ski week groups for all levels every week. Taos rate their ski week groups on a scale of 1 to 10
Is their scale and descriptions published somewhere that we can access? I've heard that their levels are not the same as PSIA's, but I've not found theirs.

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Is their scale and descriptions published somewhere that we can access? I've heard that their levels are not the same as PSIA's, but I've not found theirs.

Taos uses a scale from level 1 to 10. It is pretty much aligned with the PSIA 9 level scale.
It is posted at the ski school desk. Maybe I'lll take a pic of it next season.
I wouldn't sweat it. It's just an assigned number. They usually do the split on a curve depends on the client pool for the week.

VickieH

Contrarian
Skier
Thanks. Other than simply understanding where I fall -- or may be better to say "where I stand "-- in skills, it would help me decide whether I'd want to move up or down in groups. If I was assigned level 4 but was stressed, knowing what level 3 is would factor into my decision of moving down a notch or simply bucking up.

I wouldn't want to be known as Goldilocks in the "teachers' lounge".

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
Thanks. Other than simply understanding where I fall -- or may be better to say "where I stand "-- in skills, it would help me decide whether I'd want to move up or down in groups. If I was assigned level 4 but was stressed, knowing what level 3 is would factor into my decision of moving down a notch or simply bucking up.

Don't worry, You can move up and down all week, No pressure, They want you to have a great time and get results. I think They do a great job assigning to proper class. there is a ski off. Jean Mayer did it 2yrs ago and I thought he was spot on. This year seemed a bit chaotic w/out him. I thought we had too many (8) in our group to start but the switching groups started after day 1. we went from 8 to 6 to 5 added a guy, he left for lower group then there were our 4 that traveled together. 2 of us ditched the class one day that it snowed all day I just wanted to ski freshies so we did. There are also "women's ski weeks" not sure if next year will be same as Pugs are there.

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

Don't over think it. Just com'on down and take a ski week.
Taking a ski week is the key.

A page from T.A.O.S. - The Art of Skiing.

Taos001.jpg

Taos - The Art of Skiing.jpg

Sponsor

Staff online